• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE: THE COMPLETE EDITION - 1080p HD at 60fps derived from 4K versions

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just what it says on the tin folks!!!

Like my Blade Runner Edit, This will bring together EVERY FRAME from:
  • The Theatrical Version (T)
  • The Director's Edition (D)
  • The Special Extended Version (X)
These wil be ALL derived from the 4K versions BUT then down resoltioned to 1080P BUT at 60fps in order to up the fidelity in the final render.

The decision to do this is coz most people do not have a 4K set-up for viewing.

The main body of the edit will be derived from the Directo's Edition...so a lot of sound work will be needed to keep the audio consistent...thus completing the extra material not in the Director's edition to be sonically consistent.

I have already done testing on the 60fps version vs 24 fps, and it is smooth and clearer.
A 24 fps version will also be rendered.

I will also be integrating some of the new deleted moments where possible..and a few other surprises.

I will also be retaining the WHITE opening tiles.

This won't drop till early 2023, but someting else from my vault will drop in Nov.

This edit is a long held dream for me…I’ve done it already in Standard def, but had key assets missing and had to make do…plus my skill set was less back then…so I never made it available.

Now, I can finally do this one!

Stay tuned folks!
W

Last edited:
This new edition of Director's Edition was badly DNRed and looks considerably worse than theatrical one.
If I were you, I would consider adding some layer of grain or use theatrical as main source.

I'm not sure what's the deal with 60 fps here 🤨

Director's Edition was badly DNRed and looks considerably worse than theatrical one.
If I were you, I would consider adding some layer of grain or use theatrical as main source.

I don't really understand what's the deal with 60 fps here.
I agree …I thought directors edition was off looking… I should clarify…the audio is the core that will underlying the edit..visuals will come from theatrical and extended …and of corse some Directors edition…I will also be using previous blu rays as well and will select the best shots in all cases..there may also be some vfx replacement or tidying up.

The 60fps issue is to do with retaining fidelity… @subjectzero used this truck in his Babylon 5 edit series…and the result is noticeable.

I then tested it myself and read up on it, and due to the quirks in how Algos and codecs create extra frames, the information extracted from a higher res source will mean that intermediate frames will contain cumulatively more information even at a lower res compared to a 1080 p source...namely, one is not getting the same frame replicated. You get interpolated versions of say 2 frames which will have drawn on elements that would not appear in just one frame. The result in playback is an improvement in fidelity. You should go test it out and watch on a big screen…

It’s a similar reason as to how older movies can be made to look cleaner…though I’m simplifying and the below uses other text too..

I should clarify…the audio is the core that will underlying the edit..visuals will come from theatrical and extended …and of corse some Directors edition…

Now that's more like it.

As for framerates, nah, I am traditionalist in that regard, original 24 (or should I say 23,976) fps for life and I am not messing with it.
Also, I keep everything in standards as I burn everything on BD-Rs that are supposed to play without any problems on any player. So no-no to cropping black bars or changing FPS.

Last edited:
Now that's more like it.

As for framerates, nah, I am traditionalist in that regard, original 24 (or should I say 23,976) fps for life and I am not messing with it.
Also, I keep everything in standards as I burn everything on BD-Rs that are supposed to play without any problems on any player. So no-no to cropping black bars or changing FPS.
I’m also a 24fps acolyte… but I’m going to give it a go… as I noted, there will be a 24 (23.976) fps version as well…

The anime is to get the best and longest STTMP DONE…I may then also do a shorter version… but let’s see where this goes…

Can't wait to see the final results! I've always had heart for the first Star Trek movie!

I'm not doing any TMP edit at the moment, but just wanted to show you something, for inspiration maybe?
As I wasn't too happy with the look of Director's Edition, I've made a quick fix to it using a grain plate with a slighly warm tint.

Before: https://images4.imagebam.com/89/a1/5c/MEFYHRN_o.png
After: https://images4.imagebam.com/b2/11/8e/MEFYHRK_o.png
V nice.

I’ll take a look at all my sources and references in regards to grade, but I too have multiple issues with the 4K release. Above all it’s the fact that I now have 3 x 4 versions with varying levels of restoration and sound mix, 2 BD versions that predate these … it’s just a mess…
Much like The Godfather Magnum Opus, and then Extended I plan to go the following (DE= Dir Ed)

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE - Theatrical Version confirmed to DE audio mix

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE - Extended version confirmed to DE audio mix

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE - Magnum Opus.
Every frame, from every HD source conformed to the DE audio mix.

I may also be replacing some Vfx.. fir a Redux version..,

UPDATE:

Analysis on this is underway and will take a LONG time...

The seamless braching on the parent 4K and BDs will complicate matters, but I've tackled this issue before for CE3K.

A visual sweep is insufficient due to the extensive additional ADR and folley added to the 4K Director's edition. SInce I will be creating a CONFORMED Theatrical Cut as well, some segments will not match the revised audio styl and these will all need to have audio work to make them seamless...so a lot of planning.

I do not expect to start editing proper on this till mid 2023. In between I have two other edits I will be pulling together to stop me going mad and to keep me engaged...Planning is tedious and STTMP is not disimilar in scope to The Godfather Magnum Opus in many respects. There are also choices to be made on certain scenes such as when Kirk, Bones and Spock have their discussion in front of THAT window looking out on the back of the Enterprise. There are now no less than 3 versions of this backdrop...the latest being awful but in 4k, the previous version also questionable....you get the idea...

I shall report back.

Last edited:
Hello! Just wondering if you had made any progress on this edit as it sounds wonderful?

60 fps?! Bruh, this ain’t it. Are you using AI to generate frames?

Edit: I see you are releasing a 24 FPS version. Color me interested in that version of the project

60 fps?! Bruh, this ain’t it. Are you using AI to generate frames?

Edit: I see you are releasing a 24 FPS version. Color me interested in that version of the project
This will be 24 fps when I get to it.

Ahead of this I’m re doing The Alamo Roadshow, then The Godfather final final revisions.

After that it will be either this or ALIEN ALL FRAMES, or a new edit depending on where my head is at.

Back
Top Bottom