• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: Reunion by TM2YC - Fanedit of 'The Motion Picture'

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
14507927107_08f52faa8d.jpg

(Teaser poster courtesy of BionicBob)

I'm starting a new fanfix of the first Star Trek movie. Opening 22 minutes (Work-in-progress)...

5 minutes of finished footage...

(Click Vimeo link to watch in HD / Password: fanedit.org)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possible Title: Star Trek Assertion?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My thoughts so far from my Ideas thread:

Hmmm thinking about a straight-up fanfix of 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture'. It's my least favourite film in the franchise by a long chalk... and yes I am factoring 'Insurrection' into that equation. I've possibly forced myself to watch it all the way through only once. For me it's always just served the purpose of being Nicholas Meyer's inverted blueprint of how not to make a Star Trek movie. But I was thinking that just maybe If I trimmed out all the stuff I don't like I could get something I'd enjoy for years to come?

I've no clear plans as of yet, beyond just focusing on the 'holy-trinity' of characters, to the exclusion of most other elements. Maybe I'd need to have another forced re-watch or just go in blind and hope for the best :p.

I was just watching a TV broadcast of STII:WOK and started to wonder if STI's colour scheme could be regraded to be more like it. Wack up the shadows and make the FX shots a bit moodier, maybe a bit more saturation etc. I've got a really stroong urge to do an edit of this right now

I've got the 'Theatrical Cut' on Blu-Ray and the 'Director's Cut' on R1-DVD. The usually reliable Movie-Censorship.com has a comparison essay but without watching them more, it's difficult to know on a character-level (Kirk, Spock, McCoy) if I'd be missing anything important, by going with just the HD footage. I'd prefer to go all out HD with a film of this nature but the fact that both cuts have unique footage and the DC using CGI which makes it a tricky film to fanedit.
I hadn't noticed before how similar the start of WOK actually is to ST1. The same shuttle ride to gawp at the gorgeous awe-inspiring-ness of the Enterprise is there but about 5% of the length. It's awesome... got it.. right on with the adventure. One strategy I was thinking about was making a plan of the position and pacing of scenes in WOK and then trying to force ST1 to follow that pattern. If I recall correctly WOK goes roughly...

1. Titles and awesome music
2. Kobayashi Maru scene sets up our heroes and where they are in life
3. Reliant scene esablishes plot and threat
4. Enterprise launches
5. Khan danger increases
etc

So ST1 could go...

1. Titles and awesome music
2. Get the crew together. Spock, Kirk, McCoy - Jetison everything else.
3. V'ger danger establishing scenes
4. Enterprise launches
5. V'ger danger increases
etc

Maybe I could match the scene lengths to establish that perfect pacing.

I'd like to remove any of the first act buzz-killing-elements such as Kirk being a d*ck to Decker, Decker being a d*ck to Kirk, new Vulcan dude dying a pointless and horific death (Let's just have spock back, end of) etc.
Just watched the first hour of the DC. So far, so good :), I can see how it can be steered in the direction I want. I'll probably have a watch of the 2nd half tomorrow and hope it also looks promising.

14228884128_1775522081.jpg

^ Here's how I see the problems with the portrayal of Kirk. Too much of the top two and not enough of the bottom two. It's easily fixable (I think ;-)).

btw Going by my copy of the DC...

The_Movies_I-X_Collectors_Edition.jpg

...it's not at all in good shape. A bit blurry and damaged with dodgy looking brownish-red colours when compared to the lovely looking HD version of the 'Theatrical Cut'. So it'd be nice if somebody did an HD remaster of the DC (Using as much HD footage as possible).

Anybody got any title ideas? I'd want it to follow the familiar "Star Trek I: --------" format. Naming ST episodes and films after lines from Shakespeare is always a good bet IMO.
Possible title:

Star Trek I: The Empty Vessel
"The empty vessel makes the loudest sound" - Henry V, Act 4, Scene 4

Like 'This other Eden', 'The Undiscovered Country', 'The Mind's Eye', 'All Our Yesterdays', 'Dagger of the Mind' etc etc have been used before.
Boom! Just thought of the perfect problem-solving, drama-creating, tension-building introduction to Kirk&Co for the start of Star Trek:TMP... pretty sure it will work :). Blu-Ray is already on my HD and ready to go, sometimes an idea just gets my blood going and I have to edit it :oops: (I could do with a quick break from the other three projects I'm working on ;-)).

However, one thing I've noticed (Following the earlier point I noted about the murky colour timing of ST:TMP Director's Cut DVD)...

(^ Click to see fullsize image)

...okay the trailer screengrab is shifted a bit into the blue and the contrast is too high but look at how much more vibrant, lustrous and more varied the colours are. Not only that but they've been a bit heavy handed with the grain-removal on the TC Blu-Ray. The BR is way to reddish-brown, while the DC-DVD is just brown (But with the grain still intact).

I'll have to do some serious re-timing of the colours and add on some grain to make this look right.
A first attempt at re-grading that scene I posted above...

(^ Click to see fullsize image)

Recoloured, lightly sharpened and grain added back. I've probably gone too far into the blue but still better than the commercial release IMO.
The colours seem to be wildly all over the place, in some shots the uniforms are blue, grey, brown, orange, green, cream etc. Although some shots in the film already look pretty good to my eye...

Click here to view the original image of 935x623px.
st9.jpg

...Kirk's uniform in the shot I posted is fairly close I think. But in a shot like this...

Click here to view the original image of 935x400px.
Star+Trek+the+Motion+Picture.jpg

...Scotty's uniform is a bright pastel blue. I may have to assemble some images of what I think the colours should all be and then try to match every shot to that.

Anyway... I started trying out some ideas on the first few minutes. I'll post a clip when I get my head round it. In the meantime here is a screengrab from the new-look opening credits...

(^ Click to see full res image)
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TM2YC 8 minutes of ST:TMP cut and 4 minutes cut-out. It's all working very nicely. A few more extremely tricky minutes to work out and I'll post a test clip.

A question: Some people don't like the look of Vulcan in the 'Theatrical Cut'. Why?
Well firstly, the scene was unfinished FX wise due to the release schedule.. honestly, it looks pretty bad--especially the Vulcan statue.

Also, the Theatrical Version is in violation of established Trek canon. LOL. Seriously, Vulcan does not have any moons. The Director's Cut version is how Vulcan has been described in TOS and fits more closely with how it was depicted in STIII and IV.

Here's a nice brief list of all the changes and improvements:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079945/alternateversions

Hmmmm... Thanks for all the thoughts on Vulcan.

I also don't like having CGI shots in a vintage film but I also agree most of them aren't too bad in the DC (A few stick out a mile though). I really like the establishing shot of Vulcan in the TC (Moons and all) but the second statue shot isn't the best matte I've ever seen. The low quality of the shots on the DC-DVD puts me off using those shots. I'll try them out and see how noticeable the jump down in quality is.

Nope, nope, nope, the DC Vulcan shots are far too low res to use IMO. They stand out like a sore thumb when I cut them into my timeline. Maybe there are shots from my ST3&4 Blu-Rays that might be useable.

Here's another test. Replaced Vulcan establishing shot with one from the end of ST3 and remade shot of Spock approaching the priests to match it (New sky, no moons etc):

(Password: fanedit.org)

Still needs some finesseing I guess but already looking more in keeping with the Vulcan from the other original crew movies and better than the original shot...

I've got about 8 minutes working pretty well (Hopefully it's done the impossible and made ST:TMP seem like a fast paced and excited adventure :-D). I'm not sure wether to post it unfinished and get some feedback or to get it fully polished before showing y'all. Might start a proper thread too. Still not 100% that I can pull off the new plot configuration I'm planning. Once Spock is on board it's more or less a straight fanfix but up to that point who knows.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bionicbob
One idea I had but could never quite figure out how to make it work properly, was make it a straight Starfleet mission, no reunion, so command shuffle, no Vulcan subplot.... cut it as 55 minute adventure, Kirk and co. already on patrol and dispatched to investigate the mysterious intruder.
My cut will be like that ^ "in spirit".... sort of.

Okay here is a rough cut of the opening 10 minutes of my ST:TMP edit. My intention was to make the intro as dramatic, engaging and plot driven as the intros to the other 5 films.

The colour grading isn't finished in many places, the subtitles still need to be (re)written and I'm still not 100% happy with the transition from Kirk arriving at Starfleet to the briefing. Also I'm not even sure yet that the narrative problems created by moving the briefing are possible to surmount but I thought I'd show where this is going anyway. Still, I'm very pleased with the increase in pacing, the greater clarity of the V'Ger threat (And Spock's reaction to it) and the new stronger re-arranged 'hero' speech from Kirk.

- All footage regraded to be more colourful and less drab, plus grain added and slight sharpening (To counteract excessive DNR on the Blu-Ray). Some scenes are pushed too far and need raining back.
- Overture removed
- Credit sequence improved with slow motion shots of V'Ger's interior (Also hopefully this unconciously builds V'ger in the mind of the audience). Footage slowed to 50% and missing frames interpolated using VirtualDub. Also credit composition corrected so all are now central on the screen.
- Spock's intro moved to the front of the movie so there is now a slow build of the mystery/danger posed by V'ger
- Added establishing shot of Vulcan from ST:3 (May change?)
- Shot of Spock contemplating V'ger moved 'til after Kohlinar
- Fixed shot of Spock appraoching priest (Moons removed and Vulcan sky added - needs more work)
- Inserted shot of what Spock is "seeing", again trying to make V'ger the focus
- Tried to make Klingon cruisers more green
- Removed almost every shot from the Klingon sequence that wasn't essential to the plot to up the pace as much as possible
- Ditto ^ for Epsilon 9 sequence
- Removed any nonsensical shots of Epsilon 9 crew seeing V'Ger after the Klingon vessels are gone (Same for rest of edit)
- Added reaction shot from Epsilon 9 crew
- Now cuts from mention of Earth, to Earth. Seems pretty obvious and strange it wasn't like that in the original cut(s)
- Inserted shuttle approach shot from ST:4 to replace static Federation emblem shot
- Retimed music so it peaks as Kirk leaves the shuttle. The music rises as the door rises
- Added camera pan to remove Kirk talking to Sonac
- Moved briefing scene forward, removed intro, removed transmission break, removed Kirk's arrival and again upped the pace by trmming overly long shots or redundant dialogue
- Re-arranged Kirk's speech to be more heroic and make it feels like it was coming directly from the emotion of the tragedy that he's just seen. Really pleased with the dramatic sting now timing with Kirk's reaction at 9.04

After this clip I'm really not sure if I can pull off the problems that the briefing creates. Repeated mentions of "12 hours" instead of "40 minutes", the crew being suprised to see Kirk etc. I might have to scale back my ambition on this front and just go for a straight up fanfix of the footage, without radically re-arranging it. We'll see.
I thought about a pre-credits position for Spock but I preferred to open with the grand opening credits/music. I've decided to put the briefing back where it was as the way I had it, would mean cutting the rest of the first act to ribbons just to keep continuity. I'm just gonna cut the whole Starfleet sequence as it was too akward trimming out Sonac and open the Earth segment on Kirk beaming into the orbital spacestation.

I'm working on the intro to the refitted Enterprise right now.

(I really must evaluate the quality and usefulness of the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray at some point)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Zarius
Kirk is definitely more assertive here.

Yes that's what I want. Kirk will spend much less time f**king up, looking depressed, looking confused and getting lost. The man that walks into the turbolift and runs his hand around as if he knows every inch of the Enterprise in one scene, shouldn't get lost in the next IMO (Plus the lost bit is part of the Sonac sequence luckily).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Possible Title: Star Trek Assertion?

Not sure if joking or Zarius? :-D

bf9441ee58de2243881f7586302a2f8bd74e3680.jpg

A few titles I thought of:

The Prodigal Son
The Wanderer
The Wanderer Returns
The Errant Child

I was also browsing around for a Sherlock, Shakespeare, Sagan or Asimove quote. Something like that.

Here is a short test of a reduced and recut Enterprise introduction. I've regraded the colour in every shot and even gone so far as to recomposit a few elements, to individually adjust the colours. I'm really trying to push the colours to be as vibrant as possible so some shots probably still need raining back a bit. Not sure if this is too short now and of course it creates a big continuity error (I bet you can all spot it ;-))... and a smaller error too.

- Spacestation intro drastically shortened
- Removed odd shot of Scotty glancing at his assistant
- Colour graded shot of Scotty and Kirk entering shuttle twice as both ends of the shot were way off in two totally different directions. Hopefully the transition is almost invisible
- Recut footage so Kirk is smilling as Scotty is complaining
- Removed Kirk's "You're right" line. I don't know why but I the scene with it gone
- Cut out the first approach to the rear of Enterprise

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perfect so far. Assuming I was looking in the right place, the transistion on the grading did'nt stick out at all

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Here's another test. Replaced Vulcan establishing shot with one from the end of ST3 and remade shot of Spock approaching the priests to match it (New sky, no moons etc):

Okay here is a rough cut of the opening 10 minutes of my ST:TMP edit. My intention was to make the intro as dramatic, engaging and plot driven as the intros to the other 5 films.

The colour grading isn't finished in many places, the subtitles still need to be (re)written and I'm still not 100% happy with the transition from Kirk arriving at Starfleet to the briefing. Also I'm not even sure yet that the narrative problems created by moving the briefing are possible to surmount but I thought I'd show where this is going anyway. Still, I'm very pleased with the increase in pacing, the greater clarity of the V'Ger threat (And Spock's reaction to it) and the new stronger re-arranged 'hero' speech from Kirk.

I really like the recut opening with Spock. Great work.

Something to consider during the Klingon scene, maybe explain where the third Klingon battlecruiser went? This has bugged me for YEARS! LOL! I tried to suggest it was destroyed during the Epsilon scene with audio. But you are far more skilled than I, maybe during that close up of the two screens, fill the black screen with a Klingon cruiser being zapped by Vger?

Not certain if the cut from Kirk getting off the shuttle to the mission briefing works, feel awkward. Might play better with a different music cue. Or just cut from the Starfleet exterior establishing shot to the mission briefing, though I would hate to lose the Hero Entrance moment.

Anyway, great work. Love the colour work! Look forward to seeing more. :)

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You've got me interested - I haven't seen the movie in so long I have very little (if any!) memory of it. Which can be a good thing with a fanedit. My opinion of the movie will be completely based on your version.

It's surprising how enjoyable non-CGI is. I like the possibilities CGI opens up, but it never feels quite as real, and is definitely over-used these days (see Azog in the Hobbit).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Something to consider during the Klingon scene, maybe explain where the third Klingon battlecruiser went? This has bugged me for YEARS! LOL! I tried to suggest it was destroyed during the Epsilon scene with audio. But you are far more skilled than I, maybe during that close up of the two screens, fill the black screen with a Klingon cruiser being zapped by Vger?

There's a moment where someboy on Epsilon9 asks who are they fighting in there? Cut to shot of weapons flashes from deep inside V'ger, then we see the last two cruisers trying to escape. I thought it was clear what had happened to it but I'll look into your idea.

bionicbob said:
Not certain if the cut from Kirk getting off the shuttle to the mission briefing works, feel awkward. Might play better with a different music cue. Or just cut from the Starfleet exterior establishing shot to the mission briefing, though I would hate to lose the Hero Entrance moment.

It's already cut. As hard as I tried it was too awkward to get out of the Kirk hero entrance without seeing Sonac. I'm happy to lose the Kirk entrance if it means losing Sonac. Now, when Epsilon9 mention Earth I just cut straight to the orbital station and Kirk beams in. Actually a much nicer intro to the character, instead of him getting introduced being a bit arsey with Sonac, we now meet him having a warm chat with Scotty and going all misty eyed over the new Enterprise... much more the side of Kirk I like :).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
There's a moment where someboy on Epsilon9 asks who are they fighting in there? Cut to shot of weapons flashes from deep inside V'ger, then we see the last two cruisers trying to escape. I thought it was clear what had happened to it but I'll look into your idea.

To me, it is just another flashing cloud light, which we see throughout the movie....lol.
As they say, when possible, always show in movies, don't tell.:D

If I remember correctly, I think the original plan was VGER digitalized or captured one Klingon cruiser and would have used it later in the final act to attack the Enterprise???? Can't remember for sure now, will have to go look that up.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really, really like your color grading. It's better than all three original sources and I don't think you pushed it too far at all.

The only continuity thing I noticed in the shuttle scene is Kirk kept looking at something but we don't know what. It might be good to insert a quick shot of the shuttle heading to the drydock in the distance at 1:16. Maybe a few seconds of the second long distance shot that is closer and gives a better view.

I disagree with Bob about the Spock scene. Intercutting the Vger shots was confusing and disorienting. And it's not needed because we cut straight from Vulcan to Vger zapping the Klingons anyway.

When it cuts to Epsilon 9 and the radio chatter is saying "calling USS Columbia" that's confusing. Is there some other ship in trouble besides the Klingons? Is spacewalking guy related to the USS Columbia? There's no plot reason for the radio chatter, so it would be better to silence it and just show the Epsilon 9 establishing shots with music.

Now, when Epsilon9 mention Earth I just cut straight to the orbital station and Kirk beams in.

That would be a lot better!
I'm looking forward to this edit!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
The only continuity thing I noticed in the shuttle scene is Kirk kept looking at something but we don't know what. It might be good to insert a quick shot of the shuttle heading to the drydock in the distance at 1:16. Maybe a few seconds of the second long distance shot that is closer and gives a better view.

Problem is the shots of the dock show the rear of the Enterprise but I'll probably recut this anyway.

Brumous said:
I disagree with Bob about the Spock scene. Intercutting the Vger shots was confusing and disorienting. And it's not needed because we cut straight from Vulcan to Vger zapping the Klingons anyway.

The insert shot of V'ger is the best part IMO. It shows us what Spock is thinking. Before I was never 100% sure if he was sensing V'Ger, contemplating the ritual or thinking of his friends. Anybody else liked/disliked the intercutting of V'ger?

Brumous said:
When it cuts to Epsilon 9 and the radio chatter is saying "calling USS Columbia" that's confusing. Is there some other ship in trouble besides the Klingons? Is spacewalking guy related to the USS Columbia? There's no plot reason for the radio chatter, so it would be better to silence it and just show the Epsilon 9 establishing shots with music.

I had that thought too but decided not to worry about it as it worked fine in the orginal movie as general radio chatter. I'll look into improving it, although I think losing the radio chatter completely would be a bad idea as it's what tells what Epsilon9 is.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started watching 'The V'Ger Incident' :).

Loving the TV style pre-credits sequence and the new titles. It's also pleasing to see that little or no introduction to Decker or Ilia was needed. We're used to new ST characters just being there on the bridge I guess. I'm planning to show a little more so this makes me more confident that it'll work. Interesting that Bob had the same instinct about placing the briefing up front (Although I won't be able to do the same).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've redone both Vulcan matte shots and I couldn't be more pleased with the results :)...

Instead of lazily cutting in that shot from ST:3, I've gone to the trouble of fixing the original shot from TMP (So glad I did). You'll notice I've included a subtle cloud drift in both shots. I think it not only looks great but looks like a 1979 period matte shot :). A still comparison of the new establishing shot...

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW! That looks awesome! As much as I do like the version in the DC, yours is just good, if not better than, as the other. Nice one. I will say though, instead of a hard cut to the Vulcan scene, maybe add a fade to the title as the Robert Wise title card appears so it just leaves that one screen, then fade that out, then fade in Vulcan. Just my two cents. Still looks good, though.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the matte lines are too sharp, it might look less digital and more film like if the matte lines were softened a bit. Rest looks kick ass!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

I made it so...

Rogue-theX said:
I think the matte lines are too sharp, it might look less digital and more film like if the matte lines were softened a bit. Rest looks kick ass!

Oh really? I thought that made it look more like it was optically composited?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Oh really? I thought that made it look more like it was optically composited?

Well, agree to disagree :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was a great way of conveying what happened to the cruiser, very creative.:)

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
That was a great way of conveying what happened to the cruiser, very creative.:)
Agreed. It often bugged the hell out of me too. Nice way of explaining what happened to it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW, WOW AND MORE WOW!!!

Absolutely love the new Vulcan Matte shot you created. It is gorgeous!

And the Klingon Cruiser bit is great! Much clearer to the audience now!
(though maybe flop it? So it is not identical to the later shot and at that point the Klingons are entering the Cloud, and then after the first one is destroyed, they reverse course and they high tail it out of there???)

Great stuff buddy!! :)

Top Bottom