• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek: Reunion by TM2YC - Fanedit of 'The Motion Picture'

JetSetWilly said:
How about "The Prodigal Son"?
This is my favorite, and what I would have suggested. Changing the word "Son" to "Probe" kind of gives away the twist, in my opinion. "Prodigal Son" is vague enough that nothing is given away, relevant enough that it works with the V-Ger plot, and being from a religious story, evocative of the idea of god without actually specifically calling "God" out. Seeing as this is the first film and, as such, the "return" of the original cast after the show "went away", this title fits even with the production. I think it's a winner.

;-)

JetSetWilly said:
How about "The Prodigal Son"?

I thought that'd give too much of the game away (Not that everybody who might watch this edit wouldn't know how the game ends anyway).

I'm wanting something as good as "The Undiscovered Country" beacuse that title works on so many levels. I'm not sure exactly what but when I hear it I'll probably know.

"The Widening Gyre" ? Too apocalyptic?

"To Touch the Creator" ....too on the nose?

"The Girl With Two Breasts":p

"Patrick, that is the worst title I have ever heard..."

Zarius said:
"The Girl With Two Breasts":p

"Patrick, that is the worst title I have ever heard..."

I don't know. Didn't Jeff also suggest "The Wobble Wars"?

Or there's always "Into the Unknown". Failing that, Ginormous Tit War would go down a treat

At the moment, I can only think of one scene from the 'Director's Cut' that I'd really miss not being in my cut (I like Uhura's line about Kirk). Of course it's sadly in Standard-Definition only. I've tried cutting it in but I think the drop in quality is too jarring. What do you think?

(^ You have to click the HD button to see the difference. Password: fanedit.org)

The Vimeo compression ^ makes the difference less obvious annoyingly. The new colour grading in the bridge scene isn't 100% finished but it's nearly there (I've matched in the extra DC footage as close as I could).

TM2YC said:
At the moment, I can only think of one scene from the 'Director's Cut' that I'd really miss not being in my cut (I like Uhura's line about Kirk). Of course it's sadly in Standard-Definition only. I've tried cutting it in but I think the drop in quality is too jarring. What do you think?

(^ You have to click the HD button to see the difference. Password: fanedit.org)

The Vimeo compression ^ makes the difference less obvious annoyingly. The new colour grading in the bridge scene isn't 100% finished but it's nearly there (I've matched in the extra DC footage as close as I could).

It looks fine to me.

Now, I'm mister "crop the behind the scenes footage! It'll still look good!" and all, but I seriously think that you shouldn't limit your content based on the resolution of what's available. Dropping from 1080p to 480 or 576 lines of resolution is still worth it if the content of the scene makes the overall edit better in some way.

TM2YC said:

Ditto, looks okay to me (but I wasn't projecting it onto a 10 foot screen). I notice some softness but it's not jarring.

Someone recommended this upscaling program. Might be worth a try and it has a free trial. http://www.infognition.com/VideoEnhancer/

Yes, it's fine. It's a little softer, noticeable if you know it's there - but not so jarring that you think "what's going on?" (in fact it's little like the Angela Lansbury soft-focus filter in Murder She Wrote to try to smooth out her wrinkles.)
(ALthough, near the end of the show's run it got ridiculous - she was just a blurry smudge....(and you could STILL see her wrinkles, ha!))

Brumous said:
Ditto, looks okay to me (but I wasn't projecting it onto a 10 foot screen). I notice some softness but it's not jarring.

Someone recommended this upscaling program. Might be worth a try and it has a free trial. http://www.infognition.com/VideoEnhancer/

Thanks all, I might keep this moment, as it is just a moment afterall. It really helps Kirk seem less of an a-hole for what he does to Decker, when you've just heard Uhura thanking the stars that he's taken command :).

The screenshots of that program look absolutely terrible (I'd even maybe wager that they are faked). Thanks anyway for the tip.

That bit looks good enough, do keep it. Though, really the one DC bit you'd want in this cut? No love for Spock's tear?

Dwight Fry said:
That bit looks good enough, do keep it. Though, really the one DC bit you'd want in this cut? No love for Spock's tear?

Oh, that's only in the DC? That will be kept I reckon. As I've said before, I'm not that familiar with either cut (No doubt I will be by the end of this project ;-)). I'm reading through the DC/TC change list on Movie-Censorship.com as I edit plus looking at the TV-Version scenes, so rest asured nothing will be missed (It may be missed-out though).

Since I've been learning some new compositing skills so far on this one, I just realised that it would be possible to finish this shot of Kirk going to rescue Spock (In both official cuts, we never see him actually leave the Enterprise)...

(^ Click to see original size shot)

I'm just not sure yet, how I'd create a good enough matte painting to finish the missing portions of the set? FYI, the shot is static (Apart from a little gate-weave) so once the matte is made compositing it should be easy enough (It couldn't be worse than the rest of the FX shots in the film ;-)). It could be achieved in 3 ways:

1. Photograph a model of the Enterprise (Which I don't have anymore) from the exact same angle/size with the same lens etc
2. Finish it digitaly with a CGI model (Which I don't have and don't know how to do)
3. Print off the shot and paint a real traditional matte painting on to it myself. Scan it back in and drop it under the live elements.

^ They all sound pretty damn difficult to me. Helpfully when Spock leaves the Enterprise he does it from the same port so I at least know it should look something like this...

I mention this early on (I'm nowhere near this scene) incase anybody else wants to take a crack at it... or if any of you own a studio size Enterprise miniature and professional camera setup :-D.

Back
Top Bottom