• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

STAR TREK "Resurrection"

Thank you to Firstelvys for his review:
This is a TREMENDOUS edit BionicBob!! I prefer ALL of the original crew’s movies (even The Undiscovered Country, LOL!!). Of course, #3 in the series was good, even before your efforts. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed your vision of this movie and agree with all of your choices of cuts and edits. I am sure that you did your best with what was available in tweaking David’s death. This is the one edit that I found was a bit sudden. As a lifelong fan, I recommend this edit to fans and non-fans!!!

In regards to David's death, while I don't want to give away any spoilers, it is cut this way purposely to put the audience off balance. I want the audience to feel as shocked and confused as Kirk.

I don't know if you have ever received one of "those" phone calls (I hope no one ever does) regarding the death of a friend/loved one, but when it happens you are hit hard off balance with confusion and emotion. And that is what I was hopefully trying to achieve in this edit of David's death. In the end, it matters not HOW or WHY David died, only that he is dead and the impact it has on those he leaves behind.

I'm watching this right now, and enjoying it a lot, but there's a thing that seems very odd to me. It's been a while since I saw the original The Search for Spock so I'm not sure if it played that way in it or not, but it's this:

Kirk has to watch the video log to realize it was Bones the one Spock mind-melded with, AFTER discovering the good doc in Spock's chamber. It makes Kirk seem like literally retarded, Sarek's comment on his son mind-melding with someone else alone should make it obvious. Either the video log part or the Bones in Spock's chamber sequence should have been omitted.

I'm still scratching my head over this one...

Hhhmmmmm....
...that is a very good and interesting point.

But I guess the way I always interpretted the scene was KIRK is so rattled
by Spock's death that he simply not thinking clearly.

Once Sarek explains how the Katra Transference works through touch
(Spock has demostrated on atleast one occassion he can exert a mind meld without touching),
Kirk immediately deduces McCoy received Spock's Katra,
and shows the video log to Sarek for confirmation.:thumb:

The way the sequence plays ("McCoy!"), it's clear that Kirk is suddenly realizing, not double-checking. I think the movie, and Kirk's character, would become stronger with the removal of that part.

To each their own.
C'est la vie!:peace:

It's been a while since I watched search for spock, so it's not that fresh in my head.

anywho, this edit like the other two bionicbob edits is a fun quick ride. I always liked Search for Spock but I was never a fan of spock's "puberty" and with that thing gone in the edit it really becomes more enjoyable, similar to perdition's flames we spend most time with Kirk and Co and where Perdition's Flames felt like a Season Finale Episode, this edit is the Season Opener, bringing back the Crew and Spock, it hurt a little thinking how awesome a series like this could have been... well...

Presenting it in the frame of a TV series also has it's advantages, the death scene of the antagonist looks bad by today's standards (maybe even back then) but with the TV-theme in mind this looks totally intentional, like the bad video quality of TMBTM's war of the stars, so the special effects enhance the TV-feeling a lot
Also the fact that in Perdition's Flames we never saw the scene with McCoy adds to the TV-feeling. If only these edits would exist it would feel as if they killed of Spock at the end of Season 4 to shock us and when the new series rolled they had to come up with something that was never hinted at, why Spock is now back - works really funny (in a good way). Also everything fits, the story (like perdition's flames) works tremendously well even without many cool scenes from the original

The only thing I didn't like was the ending montage of spock's memory, the idea of playing it reverse the second time. The idea per-se is not bad, i just don't like the fact that they are static images, which makes it look more like a picture compilation than a montage for a movie... but i understand that it's quite the work to get all those specific scenes together, so i don't wanna be too harsh

At the end of the movie it says: To be concluded... i hope not, I hope that Bob will also tackle Star Trek V and VI... hell I'd be curious if he could turn Star Trek XI in a TV-Movie like the rest

Where does it stand in Bob's Trilogy?

I'd rank Bob's edits like this:

3) V'ger Incident - 7/10
2) Ressurection - 8/10
1) Perdition's Flames - 8/10

Flames had the best overall balance, the fades to black worked so well. They are still cool in Ressurection but Flames was just perfect timing, also Flames had the best opening, like a classical star trek episode, which got me immediately hooked, but Ressurection is recommendable as well

P.S.: The only thing that got me confused was that this was the first time i watched the movie, knowing that Doc Brown was the guy in the klingon make-up, but I guess this is not the editor's fault :D

So far this is probably the best of the Bionic Trek series! Both The V’Ger Incident and Perdition’s Flames were good, but I ultimately preferred the originals. However, Star Trek: Resurrection leaves me with no reason to ever watch The Search for Spock again. The original Star Trek III is, for my tastes, the weakest of the movies starring the original cast, and while BionicBob’s version retains some of the problems -namely having the worst acting in the whole saga (except for McCoy, I really like McCoy in this one); Klingons, and also Vulcans, speaking English to each other; a villain that isn’t threatening enough (the part called for a sinister Christopher *Lee* type, not the always likable and therefore wrongly cast Christopher *Lloyd*); and Kirk being so slow as to have to check the video log to find out who’s hosting Spock’s mind AFTER seeing McCoy behaving Spockly- but thanks to this very talented faneditor I no longer get the feeling that virtually nothing happens in the whole movie, and the pacing improves 500%. It went from quite boring to a lot of fun, I never thought I could enjoy ST III so much! This is the version that’s canon for me from now on.
Unfortunately, as with the rest of the Bionic Trek edits, the video is not anamorphic, and also it turns “combed” (as in interlaced) whenever TOS footage is used. Too bad, these technical flaws prevent me from giving it a higher rating. Video and audio are otherwise very good. On the other hand, I liked the self-destruct sequences comparison in the DVD extras, a nice featurette, and kudos to Nimoy and Harve Bennett for being consistent with TOS.
This is overall a very good fanedit that almost reaches excellency. Make it anamorphic, lose the video log part, and fix the combing, and this would have gotten a 10/10 from me. As it is, it’s an 8/10. I’m eagerly awaiting Full Circle!

Thanks for the review Sunarep!:icon_e_biggrin:

The only thing I didn't like was the ending montage of spock's memory, the idea of playing it reverse the second time. The idea per-se is not bad, i just don't like the fact that they are static images, which makes it look more like a picture compilation than a montage for a movie... but i understand that it's quite the work to get all those specific scenes together, so i don't wanna be too harsh

Honestly, my original intention was to use actual clips, but I was experiencing some significant Hard Drive issues and just did not have the room for 80plus video clips.

But afterwards, I got to thinking maybe Vulcans store their memories differently than Humans?

Maybe their brains work like computers.
Maybe they store their memories in compressed cerebral files and every image is actually a File Icon (like on a computer screen), and if they want to access further information/memories,
they simply select a Memory Image like we would select an Icon from a computer screen.
I know.... crazy!!!:crazy:

And a THANK YOU to Dwightfry78 for his review.

Interesting note regarding the Klingons in Search for Spock,
in the original script the villains were Romulans!
Thus many of the characteristics that we had associated with Romulans up to that point (ie. Honor Code) were transfered to the Klingons, and were carried through into the sequel TV shows.

:dance:

bionicbob said:
And a THANK YOU to Dwightfry78 for his review.

Interesting note regarding the Klingons in Search for Spock,
in the original script the villains were Romulans!
Thus many of the characteristics that we had associated with Romulans up to that point (ie. Honor Code) were transfered to the Klingons, and were carried through into the sequel TV shows.

:dance:

You're very welcome! I didn't know the Romulans trivia, so that's why the post-TOS Klingons are so different from the TOS ones (looks apart, as they already got the ridged foreheads in TMP).

Yep.

In TOS, the Klingons were clearly modelled on Communist Expansionism,
they were the EVIL Russians of the Trekverse.

While the Romulans were of course modelled on the ancient Roman Empire
and to some extent, ancient Japan.

But after script changes were ordered for Trek III,
many of the classic characteristics of both races got flip-flopped.
It definitely made the Klingons more interesting and multi-faceted.
Unfortunately, the Romulans have been pretty much neglected until Nemesis and Enterprise.

bionicbob said:
But after script changes were ordered for Trek III,
many of the classic characteristics of both races got flip-flopped.
It definitely made the Klingons more interesting and multi-faceted.
Unfortunately, the Romulans have been pretty much neglected until Nemesis and Enterprise.

it sucks that the romulans got passed that way... they are awesome,

Wow Bob, unless i am mistaken i think this one is ready for the greatest true fanedits page
To make it to this list a fanedit needs at least 5 ratings with an average of 8.5/10 or at least 10 ratings with an average of 8.3/10.
(6 votes, average: 8.50 out of 10, rated)

I think congratulations are in order :)

yep....should be a greatest edit. Congrats as well

Yep, I'll update the main page tonight.

Congratulations Bob! We'll get you updated asap!

wow!

Totally unexpected.

Thanks everyone.:)

THANK YOU L8wrtr for your very generous review!

Interesting (or maybe not... depending on your point of view) side note, I have been watching alot of 1970's TV shows as of late, in particular The Bionic Woman.
And I noticed a great majority of them have the same style of freeze frame fade to commercial black that I employed in Resurrection (and in the upcoming Full Circle.... plug, plug...). I guess being a child of the 70's, it must have imprinted itself on my subconscious. :)

:)

As I said in my review, it's a matter of personal taste, but a fully legitimate technique and you use it well.

Now, finish up Full Circle!

hey, having a bit of a problem with getting Resurrection. it keeps stopping after file 3.

Bob, you've done wonders with this film. I'd always liked it, even though it wasn't the best in the franchise, but this cut really makes it shine. I love how it actually starts off with the Search. Lots of the cut stuff isn't missed. "Your planet welcome!" and other such silliness are gone. I deeply enjoyed the flashbacks during the mind transfer. Masterful. This is being burned and going on the shelf with the official movies.

Back
Top Bottom