• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek: Requiem for Methuselah - The Ryetalyn Cut

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As it's soon Christmas, and RFM was filmed in December, and is controversially my favourite TOS episode, I thought I'd have a go at editing it.

Primarily, what most people hate about the episode is the speed at which Kirk falls in love with Rayna.

So, I'm gonna try my damnest to pull this back as much as I can, including potentially cutting out Spock's offensive mindmeld erasure at the end.

This low key edit should be out in time for Christmas, for those that fancy a watch.

Well I didn't get this finished in time for Xmas, or even NY.

However...

The episode has now been reduced in duration a fair bit.

I've managed to reduce Kirk's erratic, emotionalism toward Rayna a fair bit. This is a cut similar to Dwight Fry's That Which Survives: Logical Edition. Only this time, removing Kirk's out-of-character behaviour.

Major cuts so far:

* After Flint asks our heroes what pleasure they would like to partake in, chess, billiards, conversation... We cut immediately to McCoy following M4 into the lab.

* The middle section of the waltz has been removed.

* When Kirk moves in to hold Rayna in the lab, we cut straight to M4's entrance. We remove Kirk kissing Rayna.

* We cut from the lab to the exterior shot earlier, removing Rayna's touching of lips in confusion, since now this does not occur.

*Flint and Kirk's banter about test of power/physical battle, and Flint calling Kirk childish.

*Kirk's comments and anger regarding Flint's treatment of Rayna, are cut. As is Spock's suggestion to pay less attention to Rayna.

*Kirk's line, "what hold does he have over her?"

* When Rayna says goodbye to Kirk, he does not respond that he doesn't want to say goodbye. Instead, he goes straight to kissing Rayna. However, we cut to Flint after this, removing the huge embrace altogether.

*Spock and McCoy's brief exchange in the lab, and Kirk's desparation for Rayna to come with him, are cut. Instead we cut straight to Spock picking up tricorder readings. As such, Kirk entering the lab, and McCoy saying Flint lied, are gone.

*The end of Act Three cuts out Kirk's final reaction, and fades instead on another Rayna model.

*Kirk becomes angry at one point during the conversation revealing Flint's immortality and Rayna's android status. This has been removed.

*Kirk calling out Flint for using him, getting gushy and announcing he loves Rayna, has been cut.

*Flint no longer cries "no" as he starts the fight with Kirk.

*Kirk and Spock no longer have an exchange during the fight. Now, the fight is all on Flint's anger, not Kirk's.

*The fight has also been significantly reduced.

*Kirk's "come with me" and Flint's "stay" have been cut.

*"If only I could forget" is cut.

*The episode ends after McCoy's love triangle comment, with Spock responding "indeed", taken from earlier in the scene. McCoy then exits the captain's cabin and we no longer have the invasive mind wipe. To reflect this change in dynamic, I use closing music from Mudd's Women and Charlie X.

Last edited:
Preview ready for anyone interested. Just PM me.

Watched this last night.

Requiem for Methuselah is my least favourite TOS episode of all time.
I absolutely hate how Kirk is written.

But Warlord has managed something I thought would be impossible, he actually made this episode watchable for me.
Kirk's interest in Rayna is now more restrained, more empathic and flirtatious, rather than lustful and inappropriate.
Kirk does still feels slightly out of character and the fight at the end between him and Flint is now a bit forced but still within the realm of 60s melodrama.

Very good cut and audio work by Warlord.
Definitely worth checking out if you are a TOS fan.
:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom