• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek: Picard

PICARD S3 PART 1:
SPOILER FREE

I have nothing to say other than the fonts at the start are just the beginning...made me smile!

I enjoyed it....It is better than EVERYTHING that has preceeded it in near on two decades.
Love the music through out...doesn't feel like "lets avoid Trek " music....

In fact I can only site 5 nitpiks that are non-consequencial.
  • Picard's Communicator badge looks like a plastic toy
  • Laris's ears are even more shit than Seasons 1 & 2
  • A pump action to fire laser rifle would be hard to aim
  • Starships should only use thrusters while in spacedoc and not 1/4 impulse power
  • forgot the fift, so I will watch it again...yippee! ….and as soon as it begin, I remembered. What has Gates McFadden done to her face? Shame.
On a plus note: my all time fave theme piece of music opens the end credits….

Last edited:
Overall I liked the premiere, and I have high hopes for the rest of the season... but I've said that before and it's never panned out.

I think the story they're setting up here is going to be a lot better than Season 2 (how could it not be?!), but overall the story beats of this episode really felt like a repeat of the Season 2 premiere. Picard is back home with Laris, he gets a special message that only he can answer, he leaves her behind to go on his adventure. Raffi is off doing her own mission, but is obviously going to get pulled into the main story. We have a pointless scene in Guinan's bar (but she's not even there this time). They re-unite with a cast member from the previous season who is now [second in] command on the newest cutting edge ship in the fleet, which is an updated version of a ship we have a connection to. The mission on that ship goes a bit awry.

Overall I liked the premiere, and I have high hopes for the rest of the season... but I've said that before and it's never panned out.

I think the story they're setting up here is going to be a lot better than Season 2 (how could it not be?!), but overall the story beats of this episode really felt like a repeat of the Season 2 premiere.
All excellent and valid observations.
The difference to me is the season three opener does it better on every single beat and level.

I particularly enjoyed the use of Goldsmith's theme from First Contact. For me, it's the music that defines post-TV TNG.

"Picard's Communicator badge looks like a plastic toy"

I LOVED that, 'cause it's exactly what they looked like in '94, we just had shit TV sets and couldn't notice! I remember getting a shiny metal communicator pin as a kid and feeling really bummed by how it didn't look like the ones on the show. It was shiny and solid and looked more real than the props (which were necessarily the real thing by virtue of being on TV).

"Picard's Communicator badge looks like a plastic toy"

I LOVED that, 'cause it's exactly what they looked like in '94, we just had shit TV sets and couldn't notice! I remember getting a shiny metal communicator pin as a kid and feeling really bummed by how it didn't look like the ones on the show. It was shiny and solid and looked more real than the props (which were necessarily the real thing by virtue of being on TV).
Ditto… and I still have that pin myself….

I loved the 25th Century opening, and hearing that wonderful First Contact theme, which then segued into the TNG theme, made me shed a tear. Trek is back! Albeit for 10, hopefully glorious episodes.

Season 3, episode 2 “Disengage”

Only 2 eps in and the tone and pacing is exponentially better than previous seasons. Far less fan service this episode, but the Wrath of Khan influences continue.

Amanda Plumber (daughter of Christopher Plummer) is delightful in her role as the villain. Captain Shaw is turning into a very interesting complex character.

The final 5 minutes of Picard and Beverly reunited on the Titan bridge is absolute emotional perfection.

A very solid and entertaining episode.

The acting by Stewart and McFadden in that final scene is tremendous and really convinced me that this new show runner "gets it". The supporting characters all around have been really good and as mentioned, Plummer is having a tremendous time chewing all the scenery available. I'm cautiously optimistic this is finally the show we've been waiting for.

I don't want to be a hater, but this show is really not working for me. Maybe they just burned through all my goodwill in the first two lackluster seasons. These first two episodes this year are better than the previous two seasons, but they just feel like they're making Star Trek: Easter Eggs. Each scene feels to me like they came up with a little reference or character to insert and then worked backwards to fit it into the show and not like they wrote a good story set in the world we love that happens to feature some returning characters or locations. Does that make sense?

S3E3 "Seventeen Seconds" directed by Frakes!

Sooooooooooo GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially those last 15 minutes -- INTENSE!

But even before that.... some fantastic character beats.
Picard and Beverly.
Worf and Raffi.
LaForge and Seven.
Jack and Riker.
And of course, Riker and Picard. Never has the show gone this deep into their relationship.

Plus.... the Big Bad revealed!

Excellent episode. 👍

I don't want to be a hater, but this show is really not working for me. Maybe they just burned through all my goodwill in the first two lackluster seasons. These first two episodes this year are better than the previous two seasons, but they just feel like they're making Star Trek: Easter Eggs. Each scene feels to me like they came up with a little reference or character to insert and then worked backwards to fit it into the show and not like they wrote a good story set in the world we love that happens to feature some returning characters or locations. Does that make sense?
While I am certainly enjoying this season much more than the previous two, I agree that there's a little too much flop-sweat evident in trying to win back fans who were turned off.

I know this is an overused and often unfair criticism, but this feels like its leaning too far into fanfic territory. As much as I was frustrated by Disco, it was at least trying to do something new. I really don't need to see the undead corpse of Wrath of Khan being pulled out of the closet once again to be dry-humped for the fifth time.

That said, Jonathan Frakes has been absolutely killing it so far. This is easily his best work as the character and he's clearly relishing this opportunity.

Another highly emotional character-focused episode, looks like we've concluded the first act, and in a manner that turns a captivating sink or swim survival story into the embodiment of what the Star Trek mission is all about!

Totally agree with @Zarius !

Episode 4 was an extraordinary character driven story. Absolutely LOVED it.

While I am not a fan of foul language in Star Trek, at least here, in this season, it feels genuine and earned and not there just for shock value like in past seasons.

Back
Top Bottom