• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek novels

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That is an awesome thing to do with those old comic/record combos!

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I took a break from Star Trek books for a bit, but I finally resumed reading Final Frontier, and I really enjoyed it. It's actually my favorite novel so far on my short list of those completed. I enjoyed learning more about George Kirk and Robert April, two very interesting characters of opposite extremes. This book was by Diane Carey and was written prior to her novel Best Destiny (which I unfortunately read first). I enjoyed parts of Best Destiny, but Final Frontier is far more interesting and exciting. I know probably most who read this thread are already aware of the content, but I'll give a very brief review. George Kirk is "nominated" to serve as first officer aboard the first of a secret new class of ships, what obviously will ultimately become the Enterprise. At the time of its construction, it is intended to be an exploratory vessel, but its replete with new technology and weapons, leading to an imbalance of power that could upset nearby Klingons and Romulans. The ship is not yet commissioned, but because of its capabilities, Captain Robert April and his vessel are tasked to rescue the men and women aboard another vessel damaged in an ion storm. But due to sabotage, the ship ends up off course and in dangerous territory....I'll leave it at that. I really enjoyed the book very much and I recommend it.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've recently been looking into the DS9 relaunch, thinking I might wanna read these novels after I view all of Star Trek on Netflix (in DS9 season 3 / VOY season 1 right now).

Do these novels take the 2009 film into account in any way?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Trek Novelverse has not caught up to the with the destruction of Romulus yet.

The movie Star Trek 2009, the events of the Prime Universe occurred in 2387 but I think the latest novels are around 2385.

The novel NEEDS OF THE MANY takes place in 2409 and is based on the STAR TREK ONLINE game universe.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Picked up my copy today.... :):thumb:

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I have vinyl somewhere of Shatner in concert.
Probably from the 70s.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF JAMES T. KIRK by David A. Goodman

This has been sitting on my shelf for a while, finally had a quiet weekend and dived into this adventure.

On the surface, a very fast paced, easy, entertaining read. It sort of reads like greatest hits review, touching briefly on most of the significant/popular TOS episodes that impacted on Kirk's character, with Kirk providing some enlightening alternative perspectives on these incidents. The voice of the book sounds like an older, more tired Kirk as it should but it also has a detached quality at times. The author does not go as deep as I would have hoped for a memoir.

Goodman came up with some very brilliant creative solutions for connecting all the dots and creating a timeline for Kirk that works and mostly makes sense, especially for Kirk's pre-Enterprise career which always seemed overly convoluted and contradictory. He also created a very believable explanation why Kirk accepted promotion to Admiral TWICE.

So while an enjoyable read, the book imo has weaknesses and faults. The novel could have easily been another 100 to 150 pages longer, as too many moments are marginalized or completely ignored. Most of the TOS third season is skipped and the animated season adventures are unacknowledged. The Second Five Year Mission is relegated to less than 10 pages, with little revelatory information. In fact, the first three quarters of the books reads really well, with the author taking his time, but then the last quarter feels like a race to the finishing line. One has to wonder if the author had a page count limitation and the editors cut big chunks out of the book to meet it?

The main driving formative/unifying arcs through the story is Kirk's relationship with Ben Finney, his regret of not being a proper father to David Marcus, the Starfleet/Klingon conspiracy and his lost love of Edith Keeler. The Finney story is well executed and works well. The Admiral Cartwright and the conspiracy is also well constructed, though again the resolution felt very rushed. The David Marcus arc has the most weight, and builds nicely throughout, but again, once the story reaches TWOK and Kirk and David meet, it read a bit disappointing and underdeveloped. Though maybe that is realistic, as the characters are essentially strangers to each other and their time together is very brief.

Now we get to the Edith Keeler discussion. I know it has become accepted Trek Lore that Keeler was Kirk's one true love but I have always disagree with this.... The City On the Edge of Forever is undoubtedly a classic episode; one of the best, if not thee best episode of the entire TOS run but to say Keeler was Kirk's true love.... I dunno.... The author Goodwin spends a great deal of time developing this relationship and you can easily understand Kirk's intense attraction to Keeler as she was revolutionary thinker with an immense caring heart but Goodwin also tries to convince the reader this was the only time Kirk felt content, relaxed, free of Starfleet obligations.... and I do not buy this for a moment. There is nothing in this particular episode that suggests this is how Kirk feeling.

In fact, what the author is describing is how Kirk felt in the episode THE PARADISE SYNDROME, when Kirk lives with a tribe of transplanted Native Americans, falls in love and marries Miramanee, who becomes pregnant with Kirk's child. But this specific, character defining moment is completely, glaringly ignored in the book! IMO, Miramanee was Kirk's greatest love and his one true time of contentment and happiness but for reasons unknown to me, most Trek authors seem to forget this and choose to embrace the Edith Keeler legend. I found this very annoying and disappointing.

Kirk's relationship and feelings to his senior staff is also surprisingly sparse and underdeveloped. McCoy and Scotty probably receive the most believable development. Spock is handled oddly. There feels like there is a gap in the development of their friendship. I never really feel like there was a moment where relationship truly evolved from professional First Officer to Best Friend. I just seems to happen in between pages. Chekov has some development and how Khan recognizes our favourite Russian is explained. Sulu and Uhura receive little to no development. Kirk seems to treat their 30 year relationship with a distant professionalism, which in this context makes sense. Though it makes it hard at times to understand the crew's blind loyalty to Kirk at times.

I also hated how the author interpreted the events of THE FINAL FRONTIER. I thought it was lazy, unfunny and unbelievable. Not to mention it opens the door that Kirk has another son, which is then completely forgotten the next page. Absolutely terrible writing here. I don't know what the author was thinking when he wrote it or why an editor would approve it.

So I would give this book 7 out of 10. Lots of clever world building and tying to the greater Trek Universe tapestry. There are some nice, fresh, insightful character moments. But the book rushes to the end, with the author cherry picking story elements and ignoring other vital significant moments. Definitely not the best exploration of Kirk life but an interesting interpretation that I think many will find enjoyable.:)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neat! Thanks for the review.

Do the post-'09 books acknowledge the new timeline or stick to the old one? (Or do they use both?)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Do the post-'09 books acknowledge the new timeline or stick to the old one? (Or do they use both?)

Do you mean do the current novels take place in the alternate JJ Abrams movie timeline?

The answer to that is NO.

All the current Trek novels still take place in the original Prime Universe. In fact, I do not believe the novels have actually reached the year when Romulus explodes yet. When they do, I am not certain what the editorial plan is, as the last I read they do not have the publication story rights to the Abrams created timeline.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
\Now we get to the Edith Keeler discussion. I know it has become accepted Trek Lore that Keeler was Kirk's one true love but I have always disagree with this....
Pffft; everyone knows Antonia was the one. :-D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL

I have to admit when the Antonia subplot was mentioned in Generations I sort of rolled my eyes and groaned, but author David Goodman found a very believable organic way to work it in to Kirk's autobiography.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Do you mean do the current novels take place in the alternate JJ Abrams movie timeline?

The answer to that is NO.

All the current Trek novels still take place in the original Prime Universe. In fact, I do not believe the novels have actually reached the year when Romulus explodes yet. When they do, I am not certain what the editorial plan is, as the last I read they do not have the publication story rights to the Abrams created timeline.

Ah, OK. They don't even have the rights. That makes sense. Frankly, considering how intensely disliked the Abramsverse is in Trekdom, I can't see them wanting to get the rights. :) Thanks for the info!

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

I'm still confused over how the so-called "Prime Universe" can go along as usual alongside the "Alternate Reality", since it's been demonstrated numerous times (The City on the Edge of Forever, Past Tense, First Contact (film)) that this is NOT how time travel works in the Trek universe. All changes made to the past alter the "Prime Universe" itself, and those that are caught in some kind of protective whatever witness the changes firsthand. If the 2009 film had followed the same pattern (and, you have to admit, the changes that it introduced are far smaller, relatively speaking, than the other examples), then Abrams' Trek overwrites TOS.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
I'm still confused over how the so-called "Prime Universe" can go along as usual alongside the "Alternate Reality", since it's been demonstrated numerous times (The City on the Edge of Forever, Past Tense, First Contact (film)) that this is NOT how time travel works in the Trek universe. All changes made to the past alter the "Prime Universe" itself, and those that are caught in some kind of protective whatever witness the changes firsthand. If the 2009 film had followed the same pattern (and, you have to admit, the changes that it introduced are far smaller, relatively speaking, than the other examples), then Abrams' Trek overwrites TOS.

The Prime Universe still exists because Spock and Nero did not travel into the past of the Prime Universe. When they passed through the black hole thingie, they crossed over into a a Parallel/Mirror Universe and altered that timeline further.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The Prime Universe still exists because Spock and Nero did not travel into the past of the Prime Universe. When they passed through the black hole thingie, they crossed over into a a Parallel/Mirror Universe and altered that timeline further.

Is that some kind of behind-the-scenes info? Because I don't recall that being mentioned in the film.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ TNG's "Parallels" established that there are pretty much infinite realities out there. So even if the Prime Universe was rewritten by the Nero incident, there are infinite other realities pretty much exactly like it. In other words... it's all just whatever, man. See 23:30 of Red Letter Media's Trek XI review. (I myself have fond memories of "Parallels" as a terrific ep, but I haven't actually seen it in decades.)

As for the Abramsverse, IDW comics have made some minor forays into expanding upon that universe, but planned books were canceled in 2010, when Abrams hoped to godfather a TV series in the new universe, and didn't want the canon discrepancies.

Top Bottom