• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek novels

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I agree. It is typical Brannon Braga; in the worst sense of the word. One has to wonder if he has unresolved hostility issues towards his ex-wife Jeri Ryan considering the way he ended the story.
I don't like to be an absolutist, but anyone involved in writing, executing and approving this page should probably not be allowed to write Trek for pay again. :|

darth_ender, I would suggest giving the Shatner/Reeves-Stevenses' Mirror Universe trilogy (Sprectre/Dark Victory/Preserver) a try, as I just recently re-read it and loved 'em. Taking place between Insurrection and Nemesis, they're an awesome, almost Star Wars-scale/myth-level epic. Lots of great Kirk/Picard as well as Kirk/Mirror Kirk interaction, to boot. Tons of fun, even if I don't quite understand why the third book's (very exciting) big action finale went down the way it did.

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's kind of serendipitous that I stumbled across this thread here because I had just declared my newfound interest at OT.com. Like I said there, I'm wrapping up the Star Wars OT novelizations (which I really love, BTW, as this is a rereading), and I'm anxious to start a Trek novel. It's nice to see so many fans here as well. Thanks for the suggestions, guys :)

The Log books kind of intrigue me just because I've become an Alan Dean Foster fan, and I like the idea of converting the rather poorly animated TAS to novel form. But I take it you, bionicbob, prefer the cartoon better, or simply don't care for the stories at all, eh? Thanks for the ideas on the others. I love all Borg-related material, so I've got to get my hands on Vendetta as soon as possible.

Gaith, I appreciate your advice as well. The Mirror Universe is something I wish they'd explored more in the various series, but I'm glad they can continue it in the novels. I recall seeing the cover for Dark Mirror. Was that any good? How is Shatner as an author? My understanding is that he largely conceptualizes the stories, but he has a ghost writer, as it looks like is the case with your naming Reeves-Stevens.

You know, I see the advantage of continuing the Prime Trek universe with novels, but I have become quite turned off to the bloated Star Wars EU, and I think it's fun to believe or dismiss Trek stories a little more readily. It's dumb that even a wonderful Star Wars book has to try to comply with existed lore, but fortunately a Trek book can disregard another story when creating its own.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
darth_ender said:
Gaith, I appreciate your advice as well. The Mirror Universe is something I wish they'd explored more in the various series, but I'm glad they can continue it in the novels. I recall seeing the cover for Dark Mirror. Was that any good? How is Shatner as an author? My understanding is that he largely conceptualizes the stories, but he has a ghost writer, as it looks like is the case with your naming Reeves-Stevens.
I haven't read Dark Mirror; that's an entirely different Mirror Universe novel written in 1993, before DS9 did its MU eps. The Shatner Mirror trilogy is thus far more integrated with canon, featuring Garak, a Mirror Janeway, and referencing First Contact here and there.

I don't know quite what the writing process there was, but the Reeves-Stevenses are credited co-writers, though they didn't always make the covers. Kirk certainly sounds like Shatner, and a lot of the narration from his point of view is very cosmic New Age-y in a very Shatnerian vein, but there's also lots of key scenes that have little to nothing to do with Kirk, as well as some pretty detailed techmical references and such, and I can't imagine he had much input there, seeing as he's often said he's never watched any Trek he wasn't actually in.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My understanding in regards to the Shatner novels are the Shatman breaks the story and creates a rough outline, emphasizing the main arc/character beats, then Reeves-Stevens go off and write the first draft. Then Shat edits/makes notes/rewrites portions and then Judith and Garfield begin the next draft. Unlike many "ghost written" celebrity novels, my understanding is the Shatnerverse novels are highly collaborative. Shatner is very up front and gives most of the credit to Reeves-Stevens, while they on turn have stated many times that the audience should not be fooled, that Mr. Shatner knows way more about Trek than he often lets on.

Either way, they are a hoot to read. I love the first two Shatnerverse Trilogies. They are very Kirk-centric, and very small universe driven, but they are incredibly fun popcorn-movie blockbuster style stories. Though the last trilogy, was a real stinker in my opinion.

Reeves-Stevens also wrote the aforementioned FEDERATION. And if you can find it, they also wrote the fantastic DS9 trilogy called MILLENIUM.

Alan Dean Foster can be a great writer of his own original stuff, but I find most of adaptation work is very dull. I prefer the James Blish adaptations of TOS.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I love the first two Shatnerverse Trilogies. Though the last trilogy, was a real stinker in my opinion.

I read only the first (if that's the one that commenced with The Ashes of Eden) but really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I read any Star Trek novels, but I remember reading quite a few between TNG seasons, while waiting for the next one to come out.

I prefer the James Blish adaptations of TOS.

Those must have been the ones that I read. I had three big paperbacks, one for each season. I regret giving them away years ago because they were a good read and I like short stories.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Those must have been the ones that I read. I had three big paperbacks, one for each season. I regret giving them away years ago because they were a good read and I like short stories.

What I find fascinating (lol) about the James Blish stories is he wrote most of them based on the first draft scripts, thus many of them differ slightly in terms of character or plot from the aired episodes. Also, as you pointed out, he wrote them in short story form, which makes for fast, fun reads.

Blish is also credited with writing the first ever ORIGINAL Star Trek novel -- "SPOCK MUST DIE".

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
What I find fascinating (lol) about the James Blish stories is he wrote most of them based on the first draft scripts, thus many of them differ slightly in terms of character or plot from the aired episodes.

Interesting! I always thought the differences, which I noted at the time, were due to artistic licence.

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, you guys have talked me into it. I'm going to purchase all the Blish adaptations, though I think I will also get all the Log books due to SilverWooks recommendation at OT.com. I really have so many I'd like to read, but for now I think I will stick with TOS era stuff. Any other recommendations along the lines I mentioned before, such as Pike- or April- related material, or something that spans the years between the end of TOS and the beginning of TMP? Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll report back when I've done some reading with my impressions :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE LOST YEARS by JM Dillard is a good read, it is about the end of the 5 year mission and Kirk becoming Admiral and Spock returning to Vulcan.

The Final Frontier I recommend before is about Captain April and George Kirk, solid entertainment.

Vulcan's Glory is a Captain Pike adventure I really enjoyed.

Pandora Principle is a fantastic Saavik story.

The Rift by Peter David features flashback to Pike and an inexperienced Spock

Legacy is another good novel about Pike and Spock

Faces of Fire is about Kirk and a young David Marcus

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I know there was a very recent Pike novel but I can not remember its title at the moment.

:)

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Making slow progress through the novel Enterprise by Vonda McIntyre. She's an impressive author, and has a very descriptive style that pulls you in. That link you provided is very interesting. Star Trek EU is a whole new galaxy for me to explore. I love it!

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found Vendetta at a thrift store for $1 today. I think I will pause my previous book and begin this one. It's probably the one I've wanted to read most.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
darth_ender said:
I found Vendetta at a thrift store for $1 today. I think I will pause my previous book and begin this one. It's probably the one I've wanted to read most.

Any Trek novel by Peter David is a fun read. And the seeds for his future FRONTIER novels are planted here.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can I post about graphic novels in here?
startrek1.jpg

Rogues Log, STARDATE 324516749827461978104758671425364.³√27 = 3, on the border of the insanity zone: I thought this one was pretty good, I'll give 'er a B+, great artwork (the selling point for me I'll admit apart from reimagining of classic eps), a bit cramped visually here and there but didn't spoil anything for me, I think they could go a bit farther with originality though, it's reimaginings of classic trek episodes with the reboot stylings (though vol2 appears to have an original story in it unless its based on an unused script or something), I had fun with the first one, will report on vol 2 if there are no objections. James Tiberius is in need of another haircut and needs to stop pulling on walks, I am in no way considering recommending him for promotion after his repeated sudden thrust acceleration maneuvers at the battle of morning walk and am this close to throwing him in the brig for insubordination. END OF LOG, MAN.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
IDW has published some amazing Trek comics in the past few years. I highly recommend the John Byrne works, especially his ROMULANS collection!

Keep the reviews coming Rogue!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STAR TREK VOLUME 2
startrekmovie2.jpg

Rogue's Log stardate ....uh... damnit, what's the stardate? Hey, Scotty!?!?! What's the stardate?!?!?! It donnae arrive until tuesday, captain.

This one was pretty cool, better than volume one, once again some beautiful artwork.
First story is a retelling of Operation Annihilate, I love what they did with Kirk and his brother, this was way stronger than the original episode, the big shot starfleet officer who does nothing but complain? He's here too, and just as much a douche as in the original version, lol. Good reedings.
Second story is new, Vulcans Vengance, I won't say much about this one so I don't spoil it for anyone, but shows us where the Vulcan people are now after the destruction of their planet and has some interesting stuff going on and we get to see a familiar spaceship design get a neat interpritation. I felt the magguffin and how it was discovered was teh dumb, and what ultimately happens to it was also teh dumb but it may pay off in a later story.
I'll give this volume an A-.

Rogue's Log, Supplemental, My #1, James Tiberius, had some irrational and loud unintelligible outbursts in the crewmans lounge yesteday, I am recommending he see the ships councilor for a period of two weeks and am relieving him of his duties until I feel he will be able to control himself properly as any #1 should.

END OF LOG, MAN.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stop wetting my appetite for those comics rogue ;)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stay tuned for my review of volume 3 :D

Siebener

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you guys know the STAR TREK audio drama + comic editions by Power Records? It was a comic and a 7" single. They're pretty terrible. They also made those for PLANET OF THE APES.

Someone made fanedits of those.

Top Bottom