• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek "Full Circle"

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
trek4poster.jpg

STAR TREK FULL CIRCLE

An Alien Probe threatens all Human Life on Planet Earth!
To save the world of Tomorrow, Kirk and his valient crew
must return to the world of Yesterday to find their salvation!

Bionic Bob's fourth Star Trek movie revision attempts to tighten up the storyline pacing, keep our heroes in character, and retain the light spirit of the adventure while removing some of the more over the top humor.

original film names: STAR TREK IV THE VOYAGE HOME
along with footage from:
THE WRATH OF KHAN, SEARCH FOR SPOCK, TNG "Relics",
P2 "World Enough and Time", OF GODS AND MEN, GENERATIONS,
and STAR TREK 2009.

new film name : STAR TREK "Full Circle"
tag line: "THE RETURN TO YESTERDAY EDITION"
film studio name : Paramount Pictures
edit crew name : Bionic Bob
persons involved: Me
Date Original Film Was Released : Theatrical Release 1986, DVD Collector's Edition 2002
Date Edit Was Released : December 2010
Original Runtime : 118 min
New Runtime : 100 mins
Cut/Add Time: cut about 20 minutes
added about 5 minutes

Fanedit details:
Intention: This is the "Trouble With Tribbles" entry in the Original Movie series. A light humourous romp with a social message. But as someone pointed out, it is a movie that often walks the fine line between Funny and Goofy.

My intent is to retain the light humour aspect of the film,
but cut away any humour that is out of character for our Heroes
or too over the top. There is nothing I detest more than when
smart characters are purposely written dumb just to get a laugh.

I have also trimmed or cut many scenes in order to keep the plot moving
a bit faster and keep the story tighter. As with my other Trek edits, I have included
a signature "legacy" scene, additional music from the various Trek series
and Fade to Black Breaks.

Editing Details:
Used iMac 10.5, Mac the Ripper, MPEG Streamclip, Final Cut Express, GarageBand, and iDVD

Remember, infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone else maybe see the link to full circle that may be on .info maybe linking to superman soj?
Maybe its just me.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Rogue, looks like someone crossed the streams when updating .info. BY will update this when he fixes the Superman one this evening as well. In the meantime, the links are available elsewhere.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A fun edit of a fun movie! The narrative flows great and is greatly improved by losing most of the cheese factor. I was particularly impressed by the way the Chekhov subplot was handled. The end of that is probably the best use of a TV style fadeout in the Bionic Trek series so far. It spares us a lot of useless filler.

However, there were some audio issues with this one. I found the added music frequently too loud, as to make parts of the dialogue inaudible. This was particularly true of the Huey Lewis song. Also, I'm afraid I did not appreciate the music during Spock's conversation with his mother. I don't know if it's the music itself or the way it's used, but now the sequence seems out of a bad soap opera and is unintentionally funny.

About the montage, I'm not sure what to think. While it's very nice to see all those "events to come", it's quite odd story-wise that no characters refer to them after that, given the importance of them. Also, it was a bit too detailed, quick flashes would have been enough to identify those moments, and more believable as a time travel side effect.

Unfortunately, the usual video problems of the Bionic series remain. 4:3, interlaced segments, heavy pixellation in reds... It's too bad, as the edits themselves are too good to be handicapped by technical stuff.

Did I prefer this one to the original? Not sure. There were parts I liked better here, and parts I liked better there. In any case, this is a very enjoyable edit, as usual in the Bionic saga. I only wish the audio levels were fixed...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review DwightFry78.
Thanks for taking the time.
It is very appreciated.
Always great to hear your insights.:)

As for the "events to come" sequence, whether it was experienced by all crew or Kirk alone, it is never stated. Also, since we the audience have probably seen most of these events depicted, we understand what they mean. But I think, Kirk (or whoever else, may experienced the vision) would have no context to fully understand when or what the events are showing, or whether it was just a hallucination or a view of alternate timelines or parallel realities. Additionally, Kirk and the others are all seasoned veterans, so I don't think they would let a little "vision" distract them from the mission at hand.
Besides, in the original version, they "hear" events of the future, and don't make any mention of it either.

As for the tech issues, guilty as charged. :-(
Though I did not notice as many issues with the music as you noted. But then again, maybe I just like my music Loud.:lol:
On the upside, I may have some news soon about improving the tech/picture quality of my future edits.;-)
Stay tuned!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This review is based on my opinions and my own personal viewing experience. Nothing is meant as an attack. Spoiler warning!!!

Audio: Audio quality sounded fine to me. Volume, however, fluctuated throughout.

Video: Image quality seemed great to me, nothing to complain about.

Editing: No hard cuts that i could detect.

Entertainment:
Nice new trailers on the dvd, good job!
Love all the classic trek music you used.
Really liked the new time tunnel trip you crafted! well done!
I really like how yo managed to have the huey lewis song playing on the radio in the antiques shop.
Scotty using the old computer is awesome!
The new chekov chase had me thoroughly impressed!
Many other very clever moments throughout.
Well done Bob!!! I think this one felt the most like a classic trek episode. Bravo!

9 out of 10

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for the review Rogue!

And even a bigger THANK YOU for the incredible dvd artwork!
Beautiful as always! You are the MAN!:)

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently decided to check this edit out, as some might have picked up I'm a life long Trek fan and have been checking out/looking forward to the releases that the talented members of FE release for our enjoyment.

The Voyage Home is one of the more approachable entries in the history of the franchise, specially to non die hards; being set with a storyline involving a trip to mid 1980s earth and a environmental awareness backdrop made it easier for the movie to be enjoyed by practically anyone and introduced a "fish out of the water" situation that seldom explored for the crew of the NCC-1701.

Here, bionicbob's edit provides more of what has become his signature: blending of the original series "look, sound and feel" along with the first crew's big screen adventures. As has been praised by other members, he manages to achieve this in a great way.
Also in this particular entry where no huge changes were made to the movie plot and the story was tightened by way of removing lots and lots of mediocre to poor humor and out of character actions, the benefit brought due to the editing really shows.

A/V quality is quite good overall and the editing technique is quite high, hardly noticeable at all. And the smart editing choices in this installment do provide a more enjoyable version overall.

As much as I enjoy the integration of the original series elements; it brings to the table a couple of unwanted elements, namely a non anamorphic presentation and the inclusion of freezes/fades to induce simulated tv-like commercial breaks - which are just not my preference for what was and remains a movie.
I am aware that at least one of these elements has been discussed before by other people elsewhere in these forums and I see no need to keep poking further.

Audio wise, I noticed some volume fluctuations in some spots of the movie; and specially I found the San Francisco introduction with the Huey Lewis song to be louder than was necessary before the scene changes to inside the antique store.

Other than those inconveniences, I really enjoyed watching this edit; this being one of the lighter movies of the series I found it very improved by making it relatively more serious and to the point, and since no major twists and turns were taken with the original storyline, it is good for me.

8/10

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for taking the time to review the edit, Havok, much appreciated.

You are not the first person to mention not liking the Freeze Frame commercial break format,
but being a child of the '70's, I really have a fondness for them.

I purposely made the Huey Lewis intro loud,
as I really wanted the moment of now being in the 20th Century to really "pop" out,
but maybe I went tooooooo loud....:D:D:D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also want say THANK YOU to UnkwnFactor for his review.:)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bionic Bob has to date created my favorite series of edits. While I'm a Star Wars guy, I can't deny that I have a love for Star Trek. My older brother remembers watching the shows when they were new, and he had me watch them with him before there was a Star Wars, they even had that cool cartoon ;). So I've taken to watching these with my bro as his reaction is something that helps me gauge Bob's success. Normally I watch the edits myself before having my bro over, but this time I waited so that we could see it for the first time together, I'll use him as a reference point for the review.

As with all of my reviews, they are intended as constructive evaluations of the edit and no offense is intended to the editor.

AUDIO
Normally one of Bob's strengths is the audio. While never anything fancy from a surround standpoint, the levels are typically appropriate, rarely requiring you to keep your hand on the remote for sudden increases or decreases in audio. This time however I had to keep my trusty remote at the ready. At about half-way through the movie I turned off my surround system and let it play through my tv's speakers (which aren't half-bad). This was a big improvement, but still not what I've come to expect from Bob. Outside of the audio levels, Bob's deft ear and keen sensibilities continue with his addition of classic Trek sounds and music. And as all have noted, fantastic work on the HLN playing on the radio. Overall 6/10

VIDEO
Theres not much to say here. As always, the cuts themselves are fantastic, no flash frames, good transitions etc.. but we of course have our Letterbox/codec issues. 8/10

STORY
So far, this has been a brutal review, which is hard because I'm a big fan of Bob's work. Fortunately, this edit really delivers where it counts. Bob's treatment of the story brings out the absolute best in the edit and cuts out all that hasn't aged as you'd hope. Like the Bones side-story on Earth in Search For Spock/Resurrection, the reduction/redaction of the Checkov story is a much needed improvement. Like others, I'm perplexed by the time-travel sequence. Love the idea, but I agree, the individual sequences were long. If you're a fan of Star Trek and watch it, you don't need to see the full clips to know their significance, and if you've not seen them, well, they don't mean a whole lot either. If there is a V2, I'd recommend trimming their length (but not number)

But the most important thing I can say about this edit is that quite simply, it feels like a Star Trek episode. My brother grinned and laughed throughout at all the right beats for all the right reasons. This was by far his favorite installment of the Bionic Bob edits. My only disappointment came from the loss of the little old lady that Bones gives pills to. For some reason, her hollering as they leave the hospital always cracks me up, but I can also see why he cut it out.
10/10

OVERALL
Despite the audio issues, this was far and away my brother's favorite of Bionic Bob's edits to date. While he's enjoyed every single one so far, this edit, which has the benefit of a story that FINALLY focuses on the big three, feels completely like a Star Trek story. Our heroes must save the Earth for the umpteenth time are finally allowed be the characters we love. After 3 movies we finally see Kirk, Spock and Bones interact the way we want to see them; they finally reprise their characters, and not just their roles. Bob's edit strips away the forced humor and dated story-telling, and the result is an edit which allows what we enjoy about Star Trek shine through, the characters.

Despite the audio issues, this edit, like The V'ger Incident and Resurrection before it, are now my go-to versions, but of all Bob's edits, if he picks just one to come back and do a V2, I hope that is this one. It represents some of his best editing, but is handicapped by the audio and video issues. Overall 7.5 out of 10, but that has to round up to 8/10 when I factor in how much my brother truly enjoyed this film.

Keep'm coming Bob!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank You L8wrtr for your review,
your insights and opinions are highly valued.

In my attempts to try to correct some sound designs issues from previous edits,
I tried something new, and I guess it did not work.
Oh well, hopefully I will do better next time.
It is all about learning.;-)

It interesting, I always expect some sort of reaction to my Legacy Scenes,
but it is never what I expect.

Audiences seem pretty divided on my Spock Funeral sequence in Perdition.
They seemed equally divided over my Mind Meld sequence in Resurrection.
And now, the Flashforward in Full Circle.

Though with Full Circle, I expected some criticism regarding being able to see the Future
when they are travelling to the Past, to which I had this whole Temporal Mechanics theory to share....
Instead, it is the length of the sequence that people are questioning.

In my first cut, the Flashforward was actually less than half the length you see in Full Circle.
And for hardcore Trek fans, I think it worked.

But for the non-fan, I think it was very confusing.

I think it is important for the Flashforward to have it's own little narrative
and that it be relatively clear to those who may have never seen a Trek episode before.
It is not simply about seeing older versions of our Heroes,
but to give each a tiny little story about what their future holds in store for them without giving too much away.

In the end, I am happy with how it played out.
The Legacy Scenes are my favorite portion of my Trek edits,
it is great to see/hear that it stirs such reaction in viewers,
as it shows the passion for Trek is still alive and well!:)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
In the end, I am happy with how it played out.
The Legacy Scenes are my favorite portion of my Trek edits,
it is great to see/hear that it stirs such reaction in viewers,
as it shows the passion for Trek is still alive and well!:)

I always tell first-time editors that very thing, at the end of the day you have to make the edit that you want to see, that you will watch again and again, if others enjoy it, fantastic! If we try to please everyone, we please nobody. That's the nature of our game.

In the end, I really enjoyed this one, and if I'm not mistaken, you've made it into the Hall of Fame.. again.

Great job.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watching it now, and I'm loving it. As always, BB's Trek edits are great, and I liked the addition of the Huey Lewis track, but I'm sure Perfect World was released in 1988/89 (can someone prove me wrong on this). I would have used either Small World or Back in Time (yes, I know its from BttF, but it does have about time travel in it, so why not?), it does work well anyway.

Keep up the good work, Bob, and I wait with baited breath for ST V :)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perfect world was released as a single in June 1988, but I think it's lyrical content/message fits the movie really well. A little creative license is fair here I think :)

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, thats fair enough then. Cheers for clearing that up for me :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad to hear you are enjoying the edit so far Jetsetwilly.

Just as a side note, no where in the movie do they state a specific year that they have arrived in.
Even the scene with the newspaper, you can not read the exact date.
So maybe it is 1989? :D

Top Bottom