• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Discovery

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still mulling (or is it fuming?) over the DISCO two part season finale.....

I really loved this season.  I really did.  Yes the season arc plot was illogical and had gaping holes in it, but I got swept up in the emotional journey of the characters and TOS fan servicing, to the point where I was telling myself maybe if I keep the faith, the writers will actually be able to pay it all off.

I was wrong.  I have watched the 2 part finale three times now, and each time it makes less and less sense.  

But rather than review it all over again, I thought I would share this rant I found on the Fan Film Factor site, as it sums up the issues with the finale better than I and I pretty much agree with 90% of it....

https://fanfilmfactor.com/2019/04/2...gry-and-betrayed-editorial-review/#more-14661

Going back to watching more NexGen blu-ray episodes....  ;)

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been out of town the last couple of weeks and unable to make time to watch almost any TV so I finally go a chance to catch up on Discovery last night. I was not impressed with what they did with the Red Angel story, but I wasn't really that into at the beginning either. I'm most excited for the time jump. I hated the idea of a prequel since it was announced because it kills a lot of the tension when you know where things have to end up.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This few seconds of reaction does kinda sum it:

(IIRC that was just on the opening S1 two parter but could equally apply to the S2 ending 2 parter)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2019 Comic Con trailer for the next wave of SHORT TREKS....

I am assuming since the trailer is Enterprise crew focussed that this is the only episode(s?) filmed.  Which is fine by me, as this was the best element of season two for me.

The short titles listed at the end are interesting, particularly...."Q&A".... Q....?  hhhmmmmm..... is it possible?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canadian Trailer dropped...

...Disco rebuilds the Federation plotline?  

Burned twice, hesitant to be excited...  :s

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you know where to look, the Short Trek "Q&A" can found  ;)
I found it on Canadian Youtube.

***EDIT:  IT IS NOW AVAILABLE ON THE CTV SCI-FI CHANNEL WEBSITE FOR FREE STREAMING. 

I really enjoyed it.
Ensign Spock arrives on the Enterprise for the first time and is met by Number One.
They promptly get stuck in a malfunctioning turbo lift.

This short cleverly and humorously taps into The Cage version of Spock... loud/shouting and smiling.

Fun short.  Looking forward to the next one.  :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched the latest short, "THE TROUBLE WITH EDWARD"...

A newly appointed Captain takes command of a science ship, and encounters an idiot crew member who is experimenting on Tribbles.

Didn't work for me.  While all of the various incarnations of Trek have done comedy episodes, they were always earned, you knew the crew and characters, and thus the comedy worked naturally and felt believable.

This just tries too hard.  Or maybe it is trying to be The Orville?

I dunno.   On the positive, another gorgeous looking episode.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow... just wow...

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I think we were supposed to side with the captain in that short trek, but even with Edward being a problematic employee, her handling of him was completely unacceptable and she deserved the court martial.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched SHORT TREKS "Ask Not"

The shortest of the Short Treks, maybe 8 minutes long?

Anson Mount again displays incredible onscreen charisma, proving he deserves his own show.

This is basically a Kobayashi Maru story that introduces a potential new cast member. 

I liked it, but again like most Disco stories it pays not to think too deeply about it.   Are we to believe that Pike and Number One put every new Enterprise crew member through such a test?  If so, they must have a lot of free time on their hands.  If not, then what makes this particular cadet so special to earn such an elaborated and convoluted scheme?  Again, nothing is explained.

Other nitpick.... we get to see the Enterprise engine room.  Except the Warp Core is vertical like in TNG, when in TOS the Enterprise Warp Core was horizontal....

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And Discovery continues to disinterest me.

Wake me up when Axanar's released.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching Discovery seasons 1 & 2. I'm not quite sure what to make of this series. I mostly didn't like it, but the season finale of season 2 was pretty spectacular. They told the story that should have been what the new Star Wars could have and probably should have done. I did almost roll my eyes when I originally found out that Captain Pike and Spock would show up season 2, but after completing the series I really like the new depth to their characters. Pike was easy to take, but I was more worried about how Spock would be handled. Worries adverted.

Currently

What I liked:
The composition of the crew. They really did a good job of creating a diverse group that could work well together. The link between old and new (Klingons now look like what we know of them from TNG forward, The Enterprise, etc.). The interesting possible connection with the Picard series. Pike, Spock, Saru and Burnham's characters. Less mature content in season 2. The dire situation. As in Picard, there is real consequence in this one. The view of Star Trek as seen not from the chair.

What I didn't like:
The entire plot of season 1. The flippant nature of the crew. Burnham's character frustrated me the entire time in season 1. Tilly was fun at first, but she became really annoying. I'm just not a fan of she and Stamets' communication styles. Everything is just a little too silly, though it fits the nature of the original series I suppose. This crew makes the JJ-verse Checkov seem calm. Everything is just a little too convenient and unbelievable surrounding the spore drive storyline. Yes I know it's all fake, but this really pushed it for me. The crew characters. The extremely mature content of season 1. It was disturbingly dark and graphic. Ash's character arc. I wanted to like him, but there just wasn't enough to go with for me to invest in him.

Season 1: 6/10
Season 2: 7.5/10

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed the first two season of Discovery while watching them the first time, but they don't have the same rewatch value to me that the older stuff does. The same probably goes for Picard, although I haven't rewatched it yet. I am really looking forward to Discovery Season 3. Moving into the far future is what I wanted it to be in the first place.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I enjoyed the first two season of Discovery while watching them the first time, but they don't have the same rewatch value to me that the older stuff does. The same probably goes for Picard, although I haven't rewatched it yet. I am really looking forward to Discovery Season 3. Moving into the far future is what I wanted it to be in the first place.

I think that will probably be the case for me as well. These stories are very much about reveals and progression of the plot which is contrary to what Star Trek OS and TNG were. I'd dare say the down fall of DS9 was too much focus on a linear story. Give us a 2-3 episode story arc, but then present something new. There were some profound moments of experiential insight that I found in Picard and Discovery, but no where near as the frequency that occurred in TNG. I think Star Trek benefits from an episodic approach, while Star Wars seems to be the one that benefits from a linear story.......well maybe not....

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The thing that makes the DS9 arc work better for me than the Discovery/Picard arcs is that while the Dominion War story took place over the course of 4 seasons (give or take, depending on what you want to call the beginning), each episode was still fairly self-contained, with incremental changes to the arc so if you just watched half of the episodes in the season, you could still follow the plot. But with the new series, if you miss an episode you're totally lost, or if you don't like the arc the entire season is diminished in value instead of just one episode.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STAR TREK DISCOVERY
Season Three Premiere - "That Hope is You"

Wow! So much fun. And FEELS!!!!

Spoiler-ish premise follows -- The show time travels over 900 years into the future (32 Century), a future where the Federation has fallen and the galaxy is a darker place. This is a smart move, as it removes the constant fan criticism that Discovery is a square peg in a round hole of Trek continuity. So now, the show is free to tell stories without always worrying about the canon police.

The premiere was gorgeous looking as per usual. Equal or better than any Big Screen Trek. The opening episode had a great balance of action, humor and drama. We are introduced to a brand new character (BOOK) who has instant onscreen charisma and chemistry with Burnham. The show remembers its Trek roots of social observation, as it touches on themes of Animal Rights and Limited Resources. And we get a call back to the series Enterprise and its Temporal Cold War. But it is the last act that makes this an almost PERFECT EPISODE, at it swells with emotion and wonderfully encapsulates all of what Star Trek stands for -- HOPE.

Season one was a frustrating, tonal and thematic mess but with a strong ending.

Season two was a fun, win back the old time fans adventure with a very illogical and annoying finale.

What will season three be?

If this episode is any indication, we could be embarking on our best voyage yet!!!

Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The show time travels over 900 years into the future (32 Century), a future where the Federation has fallen and the galaxy is a darker place. This is a smart move, as it removes the constant fan criticism that Discovery is a square peg in a round hole of Trek continuity. So now, the show is free to tell stories without always worrying about the canon police.

This is what they should have done in the first place. I'm so tired of prequels. (Although this premise is remarkably similar to Roddenberry's other project Andromeda.)

Top Bottom