• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Discovery

KoDomino

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Newbie warning alert!!

I've always loved Star Trek with the exception of Deep Space 9  (just couldn't get into it). You hit it on the head when you talked about the quality between season 1 & 2. Even before Season 2 I was hooked, it was just different enough for me to really enjoy it. I'm up to episode 5 in season 2 and I'm so glad I stuck with it, it's really getting good. Why do you think it had such low ratings? Do you think season 2 can save this series? I heard they might cancel the series, I hope not.

Thanks for letting this newbie rant a little here.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
KoDomino said:
Newbie warning alert!!Why do you think it had such low ratings? Do you think season 2 can save this series? I heard they might cancel the series, I hope not.

Read post above link.
Disco lives.
Renewed for season three.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Thanks my friend.

In other news, there could be major news about the re-merger of Viacom and CBS in coming days or weeks...
https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/06/reports-cbs-in-talks-to-end-shareholder-lawsuit-with-viacom-merger-on-hold-moonves-negotiating-exit/

If this happens, it would put all Star Trek properties back together in a single pot.  It would remove some of the storytelling handcuffs Discovery has to endure.
I imagine it would be a massive boon for the upcoming PICARD series as well.

I hope so! I don't want any continuity entanglements keeping the Picard series from being the best show possible.

I've heard practically nothing good about the first season of Discovery. Is it possible to jump into Season 2 and have any idea what's going on?

Also, I hope everything is OK for you and your daughter.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
I've heard practically nothing good about the first season of Discovery. Is it possible to jump into Season 2 and have any idea what's going on?

Also, I hope everything is OK for you and your daughter.

There are good moments, even great ones, in Discovery season one but they are hampered imo by a show with serious identity issues and unearned accelerated story/character arcs.  But it is in many respects still better than Next Generation season one, so make what you will of that.

I think you could just go into season two, as most episodes have a "Previously Recap", and still understand the basic plot, though you may find some of the character's confusing if you are not aware of their past histories and relationships.

Thank You for your concern.  Our trip to the Mayo Clinic was a positive experience.  While we did not end up with a magic miracle cure, we finally have some definitive answers and a clear direction to pursue.  Before we were stumbling around lost in the dark, now we can see a glimmer of hope at the end of a very long road.  Never Retreat, Never Surrender!!!  ;)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
There are good moments, even great ones, in Discovery season one but they are hampered imo by a show with serious identity issues and unearned accelerated story/character arcs.  But it is in many respects still better than Next Generation season one, so make what you will of that.

This is exactly how I feel about season 1 of Discovery. There are some exceptional moments and characters, but overall the season had some major problems/missteps. I haven't yet started season 2, but I'm looking forward to it based on your comments, bob. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
bionicbob said:

This is exactly how I feel about season 1 of Discovery. There are some exceptional moments and characters, but overall the season had some major problems/missteps. I haven't yet started season 2, but I'm looking forward to it based on your comments, bob. :)

I think you will enjoy it.  The improvement is dramatic.  It feels like a show with actual focus.  Hopefully it will stick to its landing.

I think the biggest improvement is embracing that it is a PREQUEL, a lesson that Enterprise took four seasons to learn.  If you are going to set a story in the time of Captain Pike and Lt. Spock, then use them, don't try to pretend to be clever and coy and awkwardly dance around it.  That never, ever works.  And instead of treating Trek lore as a hinderance, use it to your advantage to make the show feel like it is part of a larger tapestry.  

So far, season two has been a real fun watch.  Unlike most of season one, this feels like Star Trek.  :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With my recent travels and Real World stuff, I have fallen behind on my postings.... 
So here are the Warp Notes....

Ep.4 - "An Obol of Charon"
--Rebecca Romijin cameos as Number One, and steals her brief scene from the amazing Pike!  I vote for her to be the new Disco Captain for season three!!!  More retro-cons, Pike orders the holo-systems to be removed from the Enterprise
--Disco bumps into a giant planet sized alien orb artifact, havoc reigns on the ship and Saru suddenly becomes deathly ill (shades of Amok Time, anyone?)... it is clear the producers are attempting to eat their cake too, by trying to create traditional Trek stories (in this instance, an alien first contact puzzle mystery) that are all tied directly to the over arching Red Angel arc... while it works, it all feels typically Disco rushed and never breathes the way I would like.
--a powerfully emotional scene with Burnham and Saru, I love how this friendship has evolved!
--Tilley and her ghost May storyline reveals that the Mycelial Universe is occupied by sentient life, and by travelling through it the Disco is doing unforeseen damage.... thus cementing further why it is not used by Kirk's time?

Ep.5 - "Saints of Imperfection"
--Tyler rejoins the Disco crew, and Pike instantly does not like him
--Mirrorvese Georgiou is back, and the producers are trying very hard to make her likeable... isn't she a mass murdering tyrant?
--Through some very confusing new age technobabble a crew member returns from the dead
--some very cool psychedelic visuals and ticking clock drama

Ep.6 - "The Sounds of Thunder" 
--The Red Angels bring the Disco crew to Saru's home world for a sequel of sorts to his Short Treks story... everything is connected!
--The Prime Directive exists solely for it to be broken lol.  Seriously, this is very richly layered and complicated story in classic Trek fashion, of how the sins of the past continue to shape our choices.  We learn startling secrets about Saru's people and their oppressors and as usual Doug Jones performance rules the screen.  He deserves an Emmy nomination.
--The B Story, about our returned beloved crew member asks the questions about what truly defines us an individual
-- I think this is my favourite episode so far this season.

Ep.7 - "Lights and Shadows"
--A time-whimey episode that could be entitled, 'How Pike and Tyler became Buddies"
--Strange production design choice as the probe looks EXACTLY like the Matrix movies Squids???
--More Section 31 non-sense... I really find this plot line unneeded and uninteresting... based on what I have seen so far, I really do NOT want a Section 31 spin-off show.
--We finally meet Spock...sort of... since he is currently a passenger on the Crazy Train to Lunaticville.
--Amanda and Sarek return, their dynamic is very 'fascinating' to watch, do Vulcans have couple counselling?
--hhhmmmm...... I thought in Journey to Babel, Spock has not seen is pappy in like 18 years?
--I loved how the producers had Tilly acknowledging she is trying to not use the F-Bomb anymore lol
--looks like next episode we finally learn something about bridge crew officer Airiam -- what is she? A robot? Cyber augmented life form?
--this episode was juggling way too many balls for me, each story felt under developed... but this seems to be the normal cinematic high speed narrative the show prefers... 
--bomb shell cliffhanger.... wait for it..... TELOS IV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The season isn't over yet, so it might be a bit early to ask this question. I haven't watched season 2 at all (and have only seen the free CBS preview of the first episodes of season 1), but I came up with an idea for a fanedit based on the marketing of season 2.

My idea is to make an approximately two-hour movie out of season 2, in which Captain Pike is the protagonist (and all scenes not featuring him that aren't 100% necessary to further the plot are cut), Spock is removed entirely, all plot threads that build upon events from season 1 (such as anything having to do with the mirror universe) are removed, and the crew of the Discovery are reduced to supporting characters (or maybe even cameos). 

Based on the episodes that have been released so far, does it appear that this might be possible?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
At this point, I do not know... :blush: ...but probably not.

Based on the set up so far, I think Spock may prove integral to the Red Angel arc resolution... I do not want to go into Spoiler Territory but most of this season has been built around Discovery trying to find Spock.

And despite any marketing, Michael is still main driving character.  Discovery, unlike past Trek, is not a Captain centric show.

As with most serial tv fan edit projects, I think we will have to wait to the finale and build any movie style edit working backwards from there.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...looks like we may be finally getting some answers next episode...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdw-HCCC7BQ[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Totally random thought....

After all the Axanar fan film scandal....

And the likelihood of another new Disco Captain for season three...

The new Captain should be GARTH OF IZAR!!!   :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Episode 8 "If Memory Serves"

--okay let's get the bits I HATED out of the way.... Someone injected the cinematography with JJ Abrams steroids because there was way, Way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many lens flares in this episodes.... I am shocked I did not have a seizure!  And some very weird, awkward scene framing and bizarre camera angles... very distracting.

--otherwise I LOVED this episode!!! So hard to talk about without going into spoiler territory....
--if you are TOS fan, then this is the perfect Valentine/sequel to "The Cage"
--awesome "Previously recap" using TOS footage!
--TOS alien planet background noise!!!
--Ethan Peck as Spock -- excellent!  I think I prefer his interpretation better than Quintos'. 
--Michael's betrayal of Spock revealed... not quite what I expected, but it is logical and adds a believable layer to Spock's evolution as a character.  Still not clear why Spock would never have mentioned her before though...?
--A threat to every sentient life form in the entire galaxy!!!!!!
--Saru has some disquieting new personality traits.  Good to see Pike calling him out on it.
--Pike is still haunted by his experience on Talos IV... great acting by Mount!
--the Stametts and Culber storyline is very strong and heartbreaking
--so much more I want to say but I want to be respectful and avoid any big reveals, so I will only say this pivotal episode did not disappoint on any narrative level... a home run episode for me!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Episode 8 "If Memory Serves"
 Still not clear why Spock would never have mentioned her before though...?

Some SPOILER speculation by moi..... :p

We have learned the Red Angel seems to be a Time Traveller and is changing certain events, saving people/civilizations from death.
In other words, changing the Timeline.

The Red Angel showed young Spock that Michael was destined to die the night she ran away.   Due to the Red Angels intervention, Michael is now alive.

Maybe in the TOS Prime Timeline, Michael did die on Vulcan.  Thus, Spock never had a relationship with her and therefore never had a sister to mention.

Maybe Discovery is doing it's own version of the Kelvin Timeline?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Episode 9 " Project Daedalus"

WOW!!!  I continue to say it!  I just can not believe how good this show has become, each episode better than the last!  Damn it Jim, now I am going to have to buy season one just to have a complete collection! lol

--directed by Jonathan Frakes... his Disco episodes are always strong, but this one is a masterpiece in the craft of storytelling.
--this episode takes a background character we have seen continually but know absolutely NOTHING about and in an hour it makes you fall in love with her and then weep for her.  
--Ethan Peck continues to impress as Spock.  I completely accept him.  Superior to Quinto's interpretation and performance.
--the conversation between Michael and Spock, is the type of talk of hard truths that neither is willing to hear that only siblings can have... a powerful moment
--a total "Awe Moment" when Admiral Cornwell praises Pike and explain why the Enterprise was purposely left out of the war
--gut wrenching ending... yep, I eye sockets sprung a leak... :cry:

--this episode was Pitch PERFECT.  Everything worked.  I do not have a single Nit Pick, even the Skynet storyline works.

This episode will easily go into the Top Ten Best Trek Episodes Ever... it belongs right up there with City on the Edge of Forever, Far Beyond the Stars, Yesterday's Enterprise...  a truly fantastic Trek episode!

--This episode was written by Michelle Paradise, who will be the season three showrunner.  If this is any indication of the type of stories we will be getting more of, then call me a Happy Vulcan!  :D

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed this episode too, but Michael and (this) Spock are both terrible at logic.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I really enjoyed this episode too, but Michael and (this) Spock are both terrible at logic.

When it comes to the matters of family, logic hardly ever applies....  :p

"My logic is uncertain, where my son is concerned." -- Sarek, Star Trek III

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not surprising, but a bit disappointing, it was confirmed Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijin are only signed on for this season and will not return for season three.  No mention is made of Ethan Peck's Spock character.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/0...ery-season-2-anson-mount-rebecca-romjin-exit/

https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/18/report-anson-mount-not-returning-for-star-trek-discovery-season-3/

Mount's Captain Pike has been an incredible boon for the series.  His character was vital in the course correction of the show and bring the series back to it's Roddenberry TOS roots.  He will be sorely missed.

Now, I remember a rumour last season that the production team was actually building the bridge of the Enterprise to appear in season two.... does anyone else recall this?  I can not seem to track it down now.  If it is true, it would seem to be a big expense for brief appearance... unless they had future plans for it?  A Pike spin-off?   Probably not.  Just wishful fantasizing... lol. :p

So who will be the season three Captain?

All I know, it better NOT be Georgiou... I do not want another Lorca style captain storyline.  At a recent Press event, it was revealed the Section 31 spin-off is still years away... hopefully that is TV-Speak for never, as the S31 stuff has been the least interesting and feels more like season one style storytelling which was a mess.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh man, no more Anson Mount after this season is a huge bummer! I'm slowly getting caught up (about 5 episodes into season 2) and I love Mount's Pike. He's really fantastic in that role.

Overall season 2 is a huge improvement over season 1, although it still flutters at times.

I too hope the season 3 captain is not Georgiou. I hated the mirror universe subplot and the S31 seems a bit too jarhead for my liking.

Top Bottom