• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek: BionicBob vs Merlin, BionicBob vs Jack Marshall

Dethryl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BionicBob has done some amazing things. I don't think that's open for debate. I thought his V'Ger Incident (ST I) was outstanding (and also Resurrection), but I have not seen This Other Eden (ST V).

Jack Marshall's edit of Star Trek V, Phase 2 - In Thy Image is masterful work. He uses the old sound effects and music. This edit made me enjoy the movie for the first time.

Merlin also did an edit called Phase II - In Thy Image, but used Star Trek I. I have not seen it and cannot comment on it.

So the question is: Of the two movies, which edit do you prefer and why?

The only ones I've seen are the BionicBob series of Trek edits. Thought that they were all well put together.

It was Jack Marshall's edit that inspired me to try my hand at fan editing. I love his version of Final Frontier.
I also like my version too. It is the Trek edit I am the most proud of.
I think both offer interesting variations on the same theme.

That is the wonderful thing of fan editing, you can find so many different perspectives on the same subject matter.
Just look at all the Star Wars edits. Just when you think everything that can be done has been,
someone comes along with an entirely new take on it.

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.;-)

I finally got around to watching This Other Eden, so now I'm able to answer my own question. Jack's edit feel much more like an episode of the series. Bob's edit feels more like a movie. While certain things get the axe in both cuts, like the fan dance, I appreciate that different aspects are emphasized. Bob's decision to leave most of the camping scene really brings out the relationship between Kirk, Spock, and Bones and the theme plays through the whole movie. Jack perfectly evokes the old school feel by eliminating the wrinkle about Sybock's relations, a character development that Bob chose to keep, and it works there as a revelation that deepens the theme of chosen family.
Perhaps this criticism should go in Bob's thread, but I will say here that I didn't care for Bob's titlecards in this one. They were very hard to read and distracted me from the film. To close, I will say that I enjoyed both edits for different reasons. I would recommend them both, though which one would depend on the sort of experience the viewer is looking for.

I've always loved Bionic Bob's edits. I was devastated when he pulled out of his proposed edit of ST6 because of a data loss. I still am eagerly awaiting the day that he feels the pull to go back and fulfill the promise of that trailer. I can't wait to see how he ties in the storylines he began to create there

Back
Top Bottom