• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Beyond

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deleted scenes already...

I'd love to watch this movie a second time on the big screen, if a place near me would only show it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Deleted scenes already...

"Lt. Romaine" --- and the Trekfanboy squeals with glee!!!!!!!   :D  Thank you Simon Pegg!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A decent article from Forbes about the box office for Beyond....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...between-its-fans-and-its-budget/#13ef10437ac5

I think if Paramount wants to continue with ST as a movie franchise, they should look back at the original cast movie series.... stop trying to build a super blockbuster, build a more moderate budget franchise series (akin to Resident Evil) that focuses on good fun stories that will draw an audience and make a profit without the pressure of being the "biggest" movie of the summer.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd say something important to remember is that maybe the primary reason Beyond didn't do so hot was that Paramount completely botched the marketing in every way.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ As the article observes, even if you liked the movie, what was there to market? Yet another generic revenge-obsessed digitally voice-lowered baddie? The worst action editing in the franchise to date? The fiftieth anniversary of the franchise, which the target audience doesn't give a darn about? Kirk feeling old and bored? Uhura having nothing to do?  ;)

2009's Star Trek: The Star Trek did pretty well at the domestic box office and got great reviews, but I think that was largely a fluke - Star Wars was still ostensibly not coming back, Guardians was not yet a thing, and the general public's brand name recognition of Kirk and Spock had largely been untapped for fifteen years. Instead of seeing that for what it was, however - a lucky once-in-a-generation moment - Paramount thought they had a new(ish) major franchise on their hands, and they've been chasing that mythical dragon ever since. Beyond may not have flopped hard, but now that Stars Wars is very much back and Guardians is still kicking, Trek definitely doesn't own big-screen space adventure the way it did seven years ago.

Despite the cinematic food poisoning of this latest movie, I'd still like to see this cast attempt an actual sci-fi story, maybe even with (gasp!) some depth or contemporary resonance, but if Paramount thinks they can make gobs of money by reheating the same old evil space aliens taking reveeeennnnngggeee!!! crap, well, I have a $200m-budget Ghostbusters: Answer the Call 2 to sell them.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Despite the cinematic food poisoning of this latest movie, I'd still like to see this cast attempt an actual sci-fi story, maybe even with (gasp!) some depth or contemporary resonance, but if Paramount thinks they can make gobs of money by reheating the same old evil space aliens taking reveeeennnnngggeee!!! crap, well, I have a $200m-budget Ghostbusters: Answer the Call 2 to sell them.

Did you ever see Ghostbusters?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was actually all set to "like" that post until he got to the Ghostbusters bit.

It has kind of shaken my worldview a bit that Gaith and I agree on Beyond.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Did you ever see Ghostbusters?

No, but I saw the Honest Trailer:

Even if I do see GB'16 at some point, I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't advise the studio to spend $200m on another. To wit: I dearly love Hot Rod and would love for Paramount to finance a sequel, but I couldn't in good conscience advise them to do so as a business matter.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let's move the Ghostbusters talk out if this thread and into the Ghostbusters thread.

The film is a hot button topic for many, and I think enough has been said for now/in this thread, and we should try to get back on topic.

I personally have mostly heard good things about Star Trek Beyond, but haven't seen it myself.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a great film. Gaith is on point with the uninteresting baddie - but the baddie isn't the focus of the story. It isn't about Wrath of Khan revenge - it's about the relationships of the crew and how they cope.
BUT - these relationships could easily have been seen under pressure from something other than "generic bad guy" ie: tackling an anomaly or something.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hadn't seen this beautiful "We change" 1-minute trailer before. It's go the feels...

It's still not out for another two weeks in the UK :dodgy: .

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I hadn't seen this beautiful "We change" 1-minute trailer before. It's go the feels...

It's still not out for another two weeks in the UK :dodgy: .

WOW!!!  I never seen that one before either.  Magnificent.

For me, BEYOND was a fantastic, fun, popcorn movie.  Like the previous two, it has narrative problems in the third act but pure love attention given to the characters and their relationships makes this my fave of the Kelvin adventures thus far.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A refreshing Youtube video that focuses on the positive rather than tearing something down... and still funny!   :D

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2jHb31iVsg[/video]

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this in the cinema when it came out, and I just watched it again tonight. It only strengthend my opinion that with...

- A massive, beautiful city space-station that defies conventional thinking for city layout
- The main plot involving the destruction of the series' signature ship
- The crew of said ship being abducted and used for the villain's own ends
- The appearance of the abductors and some of the weapons used

...this is the closest to a Mass Effect movie we're like to see.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^totally! The Yorktown made me immediately think of the Citadel.
Commander Shepherd approves of the Yorktown!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a cold night in San Francisco, but my hate for Beyond's video game cut scene sequence of a story is here to keep me warm... :p 

Top Bottom