• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek AXANAR

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Legal eagles certainly waited a while before they stuck.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I think this project is dead.

The more I read, the more I am shocked CBS allowed Alex Peters to go as far as he did.
It seems to me he purposely misled people in his Kickstarter campaign, using the money to build his own studio infrastructure, rather than on the proposed fan film. But even if he didn't, he was clearly crossing lines when he started promoting he was going to be selling Axanar related tie-in fiction and developing an Axanar video game/app.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know about this. Lin has no authority to tell Paramount what to do and he especially doesn't have any authority to tell CBS what to do.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Based on what I've read recently on the Trek BBS, what Abrams has said is not entirely accurate. Apparently, the case has been settled before trial (which is what CBS wanted), rather than dropped. It appears unsure whether the Axanar project will be able to move forward (and if so, in what manner). CBS also apparently now plans on unveiling a series of rules for fan films.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yikes.

The fan production must be less than 15 minutes for a single self-contained story, or no more than 2 segments, episodes or parts, not to exceed 30 minutes total, with no additional seasons, episodes, parts, sequels or remakes.

^ This is a killer

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It would have just been simpler to have posted "F**k you Star Trek fan films". That list is so restrictive to effectivley prohibit everything, so why didn't they just say that. This one is ludicrous for a start...

actors.. cannot be... previously employed on any Star Trek series, films, production of DVDs or with any of CBS or Paramount Pictures’ licensees.

Is that even legal? How can they prohibit Koenig or Takei spending their free time hanging with fans... and every previous employee of CBS or Paramount?!?

Way to get all Star Trek fans feeling badly disposed towards your new "official" show before it even begins and why drop this just before Beyond's opening?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The last two weeks have been really bad publicity wise for Beyond

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's times like this when I think to myself, "what would spock do"?
9pCDwvpSRjaHLsPiz1DV_c14.gif

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
It would have just been simpler to have posted "**** you Star Trek fan films".

It would have been even simpler to have posted: "**** you, Star Trek fans."

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
TM2YC said:
It would have just been simpler to have posted "**** you Star Trek fan films".

It would have been even simpler to have posted: "**** you, Star Trek fans."

I'm not sure why.  I'm a Star Trek fan but I don't care about fan films.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't you care about people's being able to make them though?  I care little for Star Wars fan-films, but as a fan, I wouldn't take kindly to any attempt to put a stop to them.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perhaps you're more virtuous than I. ;)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perhaps not! ::angel:  I suppose it's somewhat emotional of me, but my immediate response was one of solidarity and a feeling that a choice is being taken away from all fans indiscriminately.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully, there is some sort of "grandfather" clause, so productions like STC and NV can at the very least release stuff they already filmed and go out with a bit of dignity....

But yeah, very depressing news.  :cry:

Top Bottom