• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would be interesting to see. If they don't recreate his wedding I'll be disappointed.

pkftz7b9emy41.jpg

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Oh, wow. What a character! How both un-PC, and also a bit heartwarming for someone who fought in WW2! :ROFLMAO:

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They had their wedding in Japan; Roddenberry insisted on Shinto priests. It's a bit silly out of context but respectable. But yes, an absolutely larger than life character.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A fun trip down memory lane here... my home PC was just powerful enough to run Elite Force after a graphics and memory card upgrade, but not to the level it was intended for, and it would struggle during the bigger sequences:

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember playing this back when it first came out and having lots of clipping issues but having fun anyway

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So early reviews for the STAR TREK FOUR MOVIE COLLECTION (4K & Blu Ray) are trickling out, and it sounds like the video and PARTICUALARY THE COLOUR GRADDING is a massive improvement!

Looks like I will be double dipping.... well at this point in my life, this is probably the fourth time I have bought the set (VHS, DVD, Blu Ray... and now 4K)... lol

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
p21pasu51d30sd.png.jpg

Lots of interesting panels schedule for this evening:

Schedule
  1. Star Trek Day Introduction
  2. Welcome Remarks
  3. Star Trek: Prodigy
  4. Legacy Moment: Deep Space Nine
  5. Star Trek: Discovery
  6. Legacy Moment: Enterprise
  7. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
  8. Legacy Moment: Voyager
  9. Star Trek: Lower Decks
  10. Legacy Moment: The Original Series
  11. Roddenberry Legacy
  12. Legacy Moment: The Next Generation
  13. Star Trek: Picard

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like how Rod Roddenberry has gotten involved with Trek lately. I mean, that's where the money is, obviously, but he seems to really appreciate what it is now.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Random ST thought... I imagine James Horner's haunting Spock Theme is one of the most famous pieces of music played on the Glass Armonica, so why can't I find any youtube clips of people playing it on the instrument live?

I did find a Czech orchestra playing the full 'Stealing the Enterprise' piece though!:

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very nice, found the full length one after listening to yours!

Also I enjoyed Discovery and Picard last night, both seemed pretty solid!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought I'd rewatch the "Spock trilogy" back-to-back this weekend and record my thoughts...

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
I grew up watching the hell out of this (and it's sequels) but I didn't see 'The Motion Picture' until much later, so I didn't realise how embarrassingly cheap 'The Wrath of Khan' looks. At least 50% of the FX shots must be from TMP (either offcuts, or just repeats), models, costumes and sets are reused to save money ("let's flip the TMP transfer station upside down and it's now Regula I Lab!") and even the only "new" thing, the USS Reliant is little more than a kit-bashed Enterprise (not that I don't love the Reliant and owned the AMT/ERTL model kit). I have to wonder if the idea to set the finale in the "Mutara Nebula", was more so they could use leftover V'Ger cloud FX and less to create a brilliant submarine-combat style action sequence. Then again, all that didn't matter to the younger me, so it shouldn't matter now, plus it's a demonstration of George's Lucas' quote "A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing" because the same shots in TMP did rather test one's patience but in WoK, they are totally thrilling. This time I re-watched the "Director's Edition" DVD, there are some nice moments but I don't like the extra Scotty's nephew revelation, it's too much of a downer. I never get tired of rewatching the duel between Khan and Kirk, including Kirk's brilliant "prefix code" manoeuvre.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
I rate 'The Search for Spock' very highly, perhaps a little above 'The Wrath of Khan'. I love the way it shows the Enterprise bridge crew as a loyal family, ready to sacrifice themselves on the slimmest chance of saving their friend. There are beautiful moments like when Kirk asks his team if they are prepared to follow him and Bones into danger and they all pretend to not have heard his question, and Kirk fondly smiles with pride. The first two movies spent quite a bit of time establishing the idea that Kirk is seemingly bereft without the command of a starship, which informs the powerful moment where he's threatened with "Kirk. If you do this, you'll never sit in the Captain's chair again" and with a grave face (perhaps contemplating what that means) just says "Warp speed". As much as being Captain means everything to him, it's nothing to the life of his best friend. I love it! That's part of the "Stealing the Enterprise" sequence, which is one of the greatest sustained combinations of action and music in the movies (alongside the sail-barge rescue from 'Return of the Jedi'). James Horner was such a genius, whenever I listen to the 'Stealing The Enterprise' track, I can see every moment in my head.

Unlike the cheap ST2, every single FX shot is new in ST3, and it's full of brand new models too (IIRC the Enterprise itself is the only thing that's not new), including the iconic Bird of Prey, the gorgeous USS Excelsior and the majestic Starbase exterior and interior. Plus there's the USS Grissom and a special bridge set for the Excelsior that must be on-screen for about 60-seconds. I don't know how Leonard Nimoy achieved all that expensive innovation on pretty much the same budget as the "corner cutting" WoK. There were glimpses of the Klingons in TMP but virtually the whole look, attitude and culture of the Klingons (including the knives and disruptors) that would endure throughout The Next Generation era, was established here. I don't think ST3 gets enough credit for how foundational it is, beyond being a jolly exciting and emotional adventure.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
I've always had a problem with 'The Voyage Home'. Yes on it's own, it's one of the most entertaining action-comedies ever made, with superb attention to the writing of all the characters but it's a very odd shift in tone after the two previous rather serious, space combat based films. I've long considered ST6 as more of a spiritual continuation of the tone and formula from ST2 & ST3. The other thing that makes it jarring in a 3-movie marathon, is the absence of James Horner's powerful themes. I enjoy Leonard Rosenman's work a lot, in this and other films but it's so different to Horner's style and Rosenman's style is particularly distinctive. What makes the humour in ST4 so successful is that it springs from the characters and from how the bright, optimist future of Star Trek clashes with our (1980s) present. The crew struggle to understand what swearing is, are baffled by money and everyday rudeness, McCoy randomly cures a lady of diabetes, Scotty "invents" transparent aluminium, Enterprise pilot Sulu gets to fly a Huey and of course Chekov is mistaken for a Soviet spy by the cold war mentality of the day. Spock's puzzled observation that "To hunt a species to extinction is not logical" is one of the most profound lines in all of Star Trek. It beautifully shows the difference between human and Vulcan thinking. Our instinct would always be to debate such an emotive issue on it's morality, not it's simple mathematical irrationality. This time I was really appreciating how brilliantly Dr Taylor is handled by Catherine Hicks. To make us so easily believe that a scientist would so quickly except Kirk's wild story is a masterpiece of writing, directing and particularly acting. Hicks should've been a much bigger romcom star, she lights up the screen. "Hello computer?", "Nuclear wessels" and "No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space" will never not be funny.

ST4 does arguably make a bad mistake by having the supposedly irritating and awful fictional Punk song actually be awesome!:

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was posted 11-years ago so maybe everybody else has seen it but this short fan-made demo reel shot is blowing my mind:

It makes the TOS bridge look so much less dated but at the same time feels like it hasn't changed. I keep rewatching it and spotting more details. Plus that's a really complicated camera move to motion track.
😲Amazing.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
I've always had a problem with 'The Voyage Home'. Yes on it's own, it's one of the most entertaining action-comedies ever made, with superb attention to the writing of all the characters but it's a very odd shift in tone after the two previous rather serious, space combat based films. I've long considered ST6 as more of a spiritual continuation of the tone and formula from ST2 & ST3. The other thing that makes it jarring in a 3-movie marathon, is the absence of James Horner's powerful themes. I enjoy Leonard Rosenman's work a lot, in this and other films but it's so different to Horner's style and Rosenman's style is particularly distinctive.
I love The Voyage Home as it is, but it would be interesting to see a reduced-humor cut re-scored with Goldsmith and Horner's music from the previous three.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frankly, I'd rescore II, III, IV and VI with Goldsmith music :>

I consider Voyage Home to be the weakest of original 6 movies. And the music is horrible.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...you rate IV worse than TMP or V? I was 19 when my mom finally let me watch STV because it was so dreadful, and I haven't watched it again in the decade and a half since haha

I would love to see a Goldsmith score for everything of course, but I've always liked Horner's scores, and I wrote a paper back in college about Cliff Eidelman's score from VI

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMP is my favourite ST movie. Just watched it with my 10 year old daughter lately, she enjoyed it more than I'd expect.

And yes, I prefer V over IV. It has also much better music. Also, I prefer III and VI over II which I consider to be overrated (along with IV).

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I respect TMP but it's so damned drawn out. It is one of Trek's greatest tragedies that Goldsmith kept coming back for movies that really didn't deserve him IMO. TMP (which is my favorite of the soundtracks, for the record, but was a box office disaster), V (to come back after the success of II-IV only to get that movie to score, oof), Nemesis. I adore his scores for First Contact and Insurrection, but those are the only two that had anywhere near the level of public reception his stuff deserves, and even Insurrection gets a lot of flak for being basically a big budget episode.

Honestly the jarring transition between Horner's scores for II and III to the score for IV is the worst, but I've been happy to accept IV's score as matching its equally unusual comedic feel.

Top Bottom