• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Star Trek Generations (1994)

the atmospheric dark yellow lighting is very much over the top, and the uniform situation is a hilarious grab bag, but such awkwardness only makes me love the movie even more. I also love that Kirk and Picard have an argument of historic importance while scrambling eggs - it's just the right amount of goofy.

The lighting has always bothered me, and the use of the TNG sets really makes this feel more like an extended TV episode than a movie to me; a lackluster coda to the excellent series finale. At just under two hours, it's a little slow at times but not too bad. After watching @"Menbailee" 's Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 8 a few years ago (which consists of hour-long cuts of First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis), I thought I might try to do my own version of a Season 8, cutting each movie into two 45-minute episodes, reframing to 4:3, adjusting lighting to more closely match TNG, and replace the (admittedly good) movie soundtracks with the TV score. I think this would be a lot more work for the Enterprise-E movies than for Generations, but it would still be a lot of work regardless.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Next Generation - "Masks" (7x16, 1994)

tng_masks344.jpg

I vividly remember this episode, in which an alien probe slowly turns the Enterprise into an ancient temple, from childhood. In particular, I remember Data wearing a mask and acting all weird, and the line about the conference room having turned into a swamp. (Alas, no doubt for budgetary reasons, we don't see this, but the line alone has stuck with me all my life.) "Masks" has a reputation of being one of the series' odder episodes, but the resolution, in which Picard solves everything by monologuing about the duality of night and day, is disappointingly mundane, especially compared to "Darmok". Leaning further into the horror angle, with the probe compromising life support systems, could have made for a creepy classic. As it is, "Masks" is mostly just a curiosity.

Grade: B-

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
The Next Generation - "Masks" (7x16, 1994)
Grade: C+

I too vividly remember this one from my childhood one Thursday evening. My response to the episode seems to be opposite as I have always really liked this episode and think it is one of the better outings of the series. It's definitely a twilight zone-esque episode with a tinge of psychosis thriller, but I tend to like those types of episodes. This one has an eery atmosphere that lends to the mystery that Picard has to solve in order to save the crew and ship. Spiner's acting is on full display and Picard saves the day with his wit and intellect. Just what I like :) I'd have to give it a solid A

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Perhaps C+ is a bit harsh, but I was grading on a TNG scale, where greatness is expected. I agree that it's a good showcase for Picard's problem-solving skills, though as a captain, he was absurdly reckless in not ordering the ship to back the heck away from the probe long after it established itself as a potential threat. (I mean, studying potentially dangerous phenomena is all well and good, I guess, but need I remind him there are children on board?! Because this episode reminded us!) Also, I found it a bit dull, and they were definitely skimping on the background extras. So, it's definitely an honorable miss, but you've convinced me to bump it up to a B-. It's definitely better than "A Fistful of Datas", after all. :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been binging DS9 lately and just finished "The Visitor". I just wanted to post here that Tony Todd was amazing in this one. Seeing this years ago I didn't fully appreciate the study that went into his acting in this episode. He masterfully captures the mannerisms and speech patterns of both Jake and Benjamin Sisko and molds them together to create a believable adult Jake. It's an intriguing storyline, but the acting iof Todd is what shines the most here. 8.75/10

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The Visitor" was a tearjerker favorite of mine as a kid. Absolutely blown away by the level of acting and emotion throughout every time I see it.

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
what star trek series should watch after the next generation? deep space 9 and voyager or discovery to keep up with current trek? love your videos. if you could help out a new fan that would be amazing! also, do I need to watch the other series to watch Picard?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"grayson" I've merged your thread with the Star Trek general topics thread. The General Fanedit discussion forum is for discussing fanedits.

To answer your question, I'd recommend DS9. It's the best bridge from TNG. Voyager is my least favorite (I don't even try to watch Enterprise).

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would suggest DS9 after TNG. Be warned, though, that like TNG it takes a couple of seasons to really get into the swing of it.

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
@"grayson" I've merged your thread with the Star Trek general topics thread. The General Fanedit discussion forum is for discussing fanedits.

To answer your question, I'd recommend DS9. It's the best bridge from TNG. Voyager is my least favorite (I don't even try to watch Enterprise).
Thanks, do I need to watch deep space nine and voyager for Picard?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, DS9 has basically no bearing on Picard. There are two characters from VOY that end up Picard, one as a cameo and one as a major character. My wife watched Picard with me without having seen any of VOY and she had no problems.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who grew up with Voyager (and quite enjoyed it) I like to view TNG, DS9, and VGR as a trilogy of shows.

http://thestartrekchronologyproject.blogspot.com/2009/09/and-now-conclusion.html

Starting at #346, you can see how TNG and DS9 released concurrently. There are a few crossover episodes, and the Maquis plotline actually jumps back and forth across a few episodes (though they take care not to make any specific plot points rely on the other show for viewers who did not watch them at the same time). Voyager is technically unrelated but the setup for the pilot comes from the other shows, and there are definitely plotlines that touch on ideas from the others, even if there are rarely direct crossovers at first.

I adore TNG, and Voyager has a special place in my heart, but DS9 will always be my favorite Trek show. Once it gets going it's so well-written and the characters are absolutely fantastic. Even the few rather annoying ones have their part to play (looking at you, Nagus). Something important to note is that Gene Roddenberry wanted the cast of TNG to be static and flawless, while conflict was entirely focused on the plot of a particular episode or philosophical debate. As a result, they very rarely get a chance to grow or change over the course of the show. DS9 is the opposite- from the very first minute we get a very flawed cast of characters. Watching them interact, grow, and change is fantastic and a wonderful journey.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ You forgot to mention Enterprise, which, I think we can all agree, is a show that... exists. :p

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh believe me, I watched that live with my family after Voyager ended. It was... disappointing.

I have Enterprise after Voyager on my timelines, but I rarely mention it during discussions about Trek at large:

Production:
bXIJ6n3.jpg

In-Universe:
BfTsCRD.jpg

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Great graphics!

Thanks! I had done one years ago and decided it was time for a refresh. Did them all in illustrator.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A funny review of "The Inner Light"... that moment at 6:20 had me cackling. :D

And some more impressive amateur upscaling on Voyager... this particular clip has an unfortunate 60fps motion smoothing effect applied, but the YouTuber agreed not to try that again:

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
These upscalers can be impressive but I still see way too many artifacts in them for it to feel natural and not simply distracting.

Top Bottom