• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having not seen Picard, gotta say Frakes looks really great in that image.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:

I just watched this clip projected onto a very large screen, wondering if I might have been over-hyping it from viewing it on my laptop, but no, it looked great. Not perfect, to be sure, and there was a bit of a motion-smoothing effect during, well, motion, but I was especially impressed at how the detailed and crisp the patterned fabrics, and the alien's makeup, were. I also watched VOY's "Death Wish" via Netflix a few days ago, and after watching HD TNG and Picard eps, its SD visuals looked like very dry toast.

All this makes me genuinely hopeful that some combination of AI reconstituting scanned raw film elements, with AI upscaling of effects shots/elements, could just make an HD VOY a real financial plausibility for CBS in the not-too-distant future. (And, sure, why not, DS9 also. :p ) Give us a remastered "Body and Soul," dang it!

bodyandsoul310.jpg

[align=center]Jeri Ryan is particularly great in that one...

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just rewatched The Search for Spock. Can anyone tell me anything about the aspect ratio shift for the opening credits? Was that part of the theatrical version, or just a bizarre Blu-Ray change?

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have also seen a lot of older movies from the 30s and 40s windowbox their opening titles for reasons I don't quite understand.

But according to a post in the TrekBBS back in 2013, this is done to prevent over-scan from cutting important information off.  HD panels no longer have this problem, which makes this all the more strange.

EDIT:  Investigated further and it looks like over-scan concerns is the prevalent reason we get windowboxing for opening titles.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That’s weird. Do you have a link to that TrekBBS post? Or anything from your further investigation? I’d like to read more about this.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure what the rules are here linking to other forums.  But I will get that to you.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Though I've faced test questions on the twelve cranial nerves before, I've never bothered to really learn their functions - it always seemed like too much work for too little gain. But, I've got a science test in a few days where every point may count, and it only today occurred to me: what better way to learn the cranial nerves than with Star Trek?! To wit:

Cranial Nerve Number/Function/Memory Aid
1. Odor - The Motion Picture stinks.
2. Visual acuity - In Wrath of Khan, Kirk needs glasses.
3. Eye movements - I'll watch The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country anytime.
4. Eye movements - I'll watch The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country anytime.
5. Facial movements, chewing - The Final Frontier's god-face is a lot to chew over.
6. Eye movements - I'll watch The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country anytime.
7. Facial movements (not chewing), eye closing - Kirk made faces and closed his eyes for good in Generations.
8. Audio - First Contact has great audio, and Picard got vertigo.
9. Gag reflex - Insurrection makes me gag.
10. Palate muscles - Tom Hardy flexed his palate muscles and showed his uvula in Nemesis.
11. Shoulder shrug - '09 makes me shrug.
12. Tongue movement - I stick my tongue out at Into Darkness.

Granted, this doesn't help with learning the nerves' names, but I'm pretty sure knowing the numbers and functions will be enough. And, after writing the above earlier tonight, I was able to memorize all these numbers and functions without even trying. Easy points! :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two videos about the underrated ST5 today, aren't we lucky. One from Oliver Harper, one from Richard Jackson...

...who both did a ST5 commentary together a few years ago...

All well worth a look.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having watched ST5 recently, it's not underrated.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:

It's certainly not overrated :D . I've got a soft spot for it, despite it's many flaws.

TM2YC said:

^ The above discussion mentioned an infamously awkward ST5 press conference. I'd not seen it before but it's on youtube:

Wow. The presentation goes badly wrong within 28 seconds of beginning and continues downwards. The bit where Shatner doesn't know the names of his fellow actors :D .

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jonathan Frakes is doing a live watch along with First Contact on youtube channel CineFix in about 14 hours. Get your copies of the movie ready:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
jrWHAG42 said:

It's certainly not overrated :D . I've got a soft spot for it, despite it's many flaws.
TM2YC said:
I agree wholeheartedly!

I have a deep love for Trek 5, that only seems to grow with the older I get.

Yes.... very bad FX, last minutes slashed budget, too much Studio demanded humour, an unfinished script with no real third act conclusion.... and despite all this, the Trek Trinity chemisty is the best of all the movies, Jerry Goldsmith delivers another iconic Trek score and the story feels like something right out of the classic series.  Fun stuff.  :D

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not horrible, but compared to what came immediately before and after it, it's definitely disappointing. I did find enjoyment in it though. Your edit definitely brought out the best in it.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
voypod2-head-777x437.jpg

So... Voyager buddies Garrett Wang (rhymes with "Pong," apparently) and Robert Duncan McNeill have just launched a podcast called The Delta Flyers, in which they will rewatch and dish about the show in its entirety! Turns out Wang is a first-rate raconteur, telling all kinds of great anecdotes, stories, and off-beat observations. (There's a bit about Brent Spiner's shoes that's a real hoot.) McNeill's enthusiastic and fine, too, but Wang's definitely the leader, which is a pleasant surprise, given their characters' dynamic. Anyone open to a new podcast and still carrying a soft spot for Voyager will definitely want to check this out. :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Thanks for that tip! Lovin' episode 1 so far.

It's great that they're watching the episodes before every podcast to refresh their memories. You always want ST actors to talk about the episodes themselves but they are usually mostly talking about what they had for lunch, or what jokes they played on each other and remember nothing of the actual series.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
It's not horrible, but compared to what came immediately before and after it, it's definitely disappointing.

Truth is I'd sooner watch V again than IV. IV does almost nothing for me; V at least has themes which interest me.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's been a few years since I watched IV, but I recall loving it. It was my introduction to Star Trek.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm just not a big fan of Trek's forays into time travel. Most stories involving it have greatly disinterested me.

Top Bottom