• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From BEST to WORST:

8. STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION -- a few gems in an otherwise very poorly produced season. Watch "Chaos on the Bridge" and it is amazing we got any good episodes at all.
Star Trek Picard GIF by Goldmaster

Star Trek Mind GIF by Goldmaster

Star Trek William GIF by Goldmaster
Star Trek Picard GIF by Goldmaster

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I reread your post....well you might be right 😅🤣🖖

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I reread your post....well you might be right 😅🤣🖖
For me, the first season of NexGen is a mediocre mess with a very small handful of good to great episodes. I mean, when it first aired, it seemed good, but that was just because it was shiny and new, and we fans were hungry for Trek... any Trek... even bad Trek. LOL.

But when you compare season one to season three, it is hard to believe it is even the same show. The jump in quality storytelling is astronomical.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I alone in that on my last rewatch I kinda liked TNG:S1. It felt like it was trying to do high-concept, cerebral sci-fi stories. It's dry in a good way. Yes they got better at writing the characters, making exiting TV plots and found a lot of enjoyable humour in the crew but some of the edges got sanded off for me. If it wasn't for lacking Beverly, I'd put S2 at the top with episodes like 'The Measure of a Man', a 45-minute intellectual thesis that makes you cry at the end, lacking in humour and action but that's okay with me. It's a slow downhill after that from "best TV ever" level, to just brilliant TV. I might rate S1 over the last couple of seasons because I can see all the problems of the actors egos effecting the creative choices by that point. I'd argue that something like the Crusher ghost episode from S7 ''Sub Rosa'' is sh*ter than anything in S1 (which I'd bet only existed because Gates McFadden wanted an episode all about her in the contract, plus directed by another cast member). Or maybe it's simply that watching a great TV show get better is more palletable to me than watching it get worse.

Teacupdragon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I find the first season of TNG quite hard to get through and rarely go back to it. Sometimes I do put on some of the more terrible ones to get a laugh. The only episode I like of that season is ‘Conspiracy’. I really loved the darker tone of that one and definitely saw parallels between that episode and the Changelings story arc in DS9. I always felt it was a shame they never came back.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Director's Cut) (1982)
I couldn't miss the opportunity to see this on the big screen for the first time in 4K. On the small(er) screen at home, I'd never been struck before with how epic the reveal shot is of Kirk, back lit in silhouette, stepping through a cloud of theatrical smoke, shot very slightly from below to give him stature, with the viewscreen peeling back like the curtain on a stage play. My screening had quite a decent audience, laughing along, which reminds you how funny this is, mostly from subtle little comedic facial gestures from the actors. I hadn't noticed how closely Kirk and Khan resemble each other here, a similar inflated ego, self-regard and cavalier attitude, the difference being that when Khan screws up he flies into an irrational rage, where as Kirk has the good grace and humility to admit his flaws out loud to his crew: "Mr. Saavik, you go right on quoting regulations". Plus Kirk seeks out the strategic advice of his crew and likes a good debate with them, Khan only listens to himself and his crew seem nervous about questioning anything he says. 'The Wrath Of Khan' still feels pretty cheap, every time I see it I'm spotting new things that are recycled sets, props and FX from 'The Motion Picture' but who cares, TWOK is an action packed masterpiece.

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Director's Cut) (1982)
I couldn't miss the opportunity to see this on the big screen for the first time in 4K. On the small(er) screen at home, I'd never been struck before with how epic the reveal shot is of Kirk, back lit in silhouette, stepping through a cloud of theatrical smoke, shot very slightly from below to give him stature, with the viewscreen peeling back like the curtain on a stage play. My screening had quite a decent audience, laughing along, which reminds you how funny this is, mostly from subtle little comedic facial gestures from the actors. I hadn't noticed how closely Kirk and Khan resemble each other here, a similar inflated ego, self-regard and cavalier attitude, the difference being that when Khan screws up he flies into an irrational rage, where as Kirk has the good grace and humility to admit his flaws out loud to his crew: "Mr. Saavik, you go right on quoting regulations". Plus Kirk seeks out the strategic advice of his crew and likes a good debate with them, Khan only listens to himself and his crew seem nervous about questioning anything he says. 'The Wrath Of Khan' still feels pretty cheap, every time I see it I'm spotting new things that are recycled sets, props and FX from 'The Motion Picture' but who cares, TWOK is an action packed masterpiece.

Saw this too yesterday, can't remember the last time I went to a packed cinema but here they were for a 40 year old film, just goes to show its standing.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
September 8th, 56 Years Ago, the Voyages of the Final Frontier began!
Happy Star Trek Day!

g51WZQnl.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Two faces from TOS. Two faces from Voyager. No faces from TNG, arguably the best ever ST show, while the terrible nu Trek shows take centre stage and the wonderful old shows are pushed to the margins of the franchise. Am I reading too much into that graphic? :LOL:

8168159_orig.jpg

Some happy feels music:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ By Grabthar's Hammer! That looks better.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's DNR'd and then artificially sharpened. May seem like it has more detail but it has no depth and is just a smeary mess.
Is it? I have to agree with asterixsmeagol. The 2009 looks better and more detailed to my eyes.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's DNR'd and then artificially sharpened. May seem like it has more detail but it has no depth and is just a smeary mess.

Just so. The old Star Trek blu-rays are some of the worst looking discs in my collection. I do marginally prefer the grade on the 2009 screenshot above. There are slightly deeper shadows, whiter highlights and the 2022 grade has a bit too much red in the shadows IMO. But those are just quibbles and I'd have to see it in context and in motion.

I might have to wait for Christmas to get these new discs, they are pretty pricey.

Top Bottom