• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ST - Star Trek

Really want to get into older Trek after getting into Strange New Worlds... but every attempt previously has left me feeling bored. Are there any good fan edits of Voyager? Or even just an "actually relevant episodes" list?
I thought you were talking OS Star Trek.....perhaps I'm just getting old? There are only a handful of episodes that I liked of Voyager. Most center around the Doctor and Seven's quests to regain her humanity. TNG is my go to Trek. DS9 is painful near the beginning, a bit too predictable at the end, but a good story overall.

May I ask a burning question?
Who has seen The Orville and do you recommend it?
GO!

Really want to get into older Trek after getting into Strange New Worlds... but every attempt previously has left me feeling bored. Are there any good fan edits of Voyager? Or even just an "actually relevant episodes" list?

By "relevant" Voyager episodes, do you mean "have lasting impact to the series' overall story"? Because that's no guarantee of quality whatsoever. Old-school Trek was from an older age of TV, when different episodes could have wildly varying focuses, genres, and writing quality from one hour to the next. On most modern shows, however, some seasons are better than others, but each individual episode is generally pretty similar to the ones immediately before and after, and true standouts, both in standalone storytelling and overall quality, are rare.

Anyhow, for over a decade, Michelle Erica Green wrote weekly episode reviews at TrekToday.com, and Zack Handlen of The AV Club reviewed all of TOS and TNG. From their reviews, I've made master lists of all the TOS episodes, as well as the "good" eps of TNG and VOY, by taking a short excerpt from their reviews, and sometimes adding brief comments of my own whenever I've newly watched an episode myself (which isn't often). Check them out, if you like: TOS, TNG, VOY.

Anyway, there's so much older Trek that, unless you're an all-in fan, I wouldn't advise trying to dive deeply into anyone one season or show, and marathon them in production order. Instead, I'd review the above lists, and, if a particular story sounds like something you'd be in the mood for (be it something cerebral, tense, comedic, etc.), give that a spin. Then watch other stuff for a week. Let the series breathe. :)

Last edited:
^ Again, insane levels of attention to detail. Did you spot the pieces of imaginary dust caught between the "animation cells", like when the shuttle takes off at 01.14, or the pencil "guide lines" still visible on the monitor text at 03.07 and reused animation to "save money".

^ Again, insane levels of attention to detail. Did you spot the pieces of imaginary dust caught between the "animation cells", like when the shuttle takes off at 01.14, or the pencil "guide lines" still visible on the monitor text at 03.07 and reused animation to "save money".
Wait, I didn't understand what details you're referring to. I'm curious though. Would you care to explain please?

Untitled.jpg

Wait, I didn't understand what details you're referring to. I'm curious though. Would you care to explain please?

Those ST animation clips are going to have been made on a computer but they are trying to replicate the look of 1970s, layered, hand-painted cell animation, flaws and all. The characters used to be painted on to transparent acetates, which were overlayed on the backgrounds:

Dangermouse

IMG_1753.JPG

So if the acetate had a spec of dirt on it, it would move with the character. Because handpainted animation was time consuming and expensive, the old animated Trek show would reuse animation cells. The youtube clip did this as well. The extreme closeup of Tuvok arching his eyebrow is used multiple times in the clip.

So the forthcoming 4K remaster of The Motion Picture isn't just going to be the TC and DC, it's going to include the extra long TV cut too. I used a couple of TV scenes in my edit because even though they looked terrible they were essential to the story IMO. It'll be cool to see them in 4K, rather than 0.1K :LOL: .

Oh wow, now that's really cool. I watched the DC remaster with my wife on Paramount+ and we were really impressed. The movie looks gorgeous now, and plays better too. I haven't checked out your edit, might have to do that.

I guess I’ll have to pick up that $125 set of the first 6 after all. Big fan of TOS, so all 6 with the original cast is perfect, and maybe if I ever watch TNG, I’ll grab the eventual set of their 4 movies.

I was impatient and requested the 4-movie set for my birthday in April. Don't regret it one bit, but it does mean I'll probably purchase the director's cut of TMP on disc separately as well as ST VI. I can then avoid having to buy ST V at all :p

Should anyone in my family ever need to see V, it will be on Paramount+.

I just recently (or maybe 2 years ago? I don't know anymore) purchased the complete TOS/TAS/6-movie Blu-ray set so I don't think I'll be dropping more money for the 4k set, but I sure want to.

TMP DC remastered in 4K is a revelation - legitimately stunning looking. Wrath of Khan is an excellent transfer, but the source material probably won't show detail all that much beyond 1080p. We did laugh that near the beginning, when Kirk and McCoy are toasting, you can now tell that they used an out of focus take of Shatner. As the glass comes into frame, that is in focus, so there must have been something wrong with the "correct" take performance wise for them to use an alternate.

We haven't gotten around to III or IV yet, but I expect slightly better quality than II.

Now that the first season of Strange New Worlds is over, do we have any idea when we'll be getting more new Trek? The last I heard, Lower Decks Season 3 was scheduled for 2022 Q3 but there was no defined date yet. I wish they had not had the four overlap weeks (Prodigy 105 and Discovery 401, and Discovery 411-414 and Picard 201-203) so that we would have a shorter break until it comes out, probably in a month or so.

STAR TREK STRANGE NEW WORLDS just completed a near perfect First Season. (though it was only 10 episodes)

Traditionally, most Trek shows struggle for two or even three seasons, before finding their voice.

Here's my ranking of BEST FIRST SEASONS of Star Trek. Of course, this is just subjective, silly fun.... 😋

From BEST to WORST:

1. STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES -- 29 episodes that created a Universe!

2. STAR TREK STRANGE NEW WORLDS -- a well oiled machine right out the gate with great characters and solid old school stories.

3. STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE -- it took 2 seasons to define Sisko, but every other character was immediately complexly rich, and the stories were some of the best of any series.

4. ENTERPRISE -- a low key look at the origins of Trek, where the characters were often more interesting than the actual adventure.

5. STAR TREK VOYAGER -- a bold, great concept that was quickly dialed back for just more of the same with a new coat of paint.

6. STAR TREK PICARD -- serious pacing issues plagued this darker view of the Trek Universe but the narrative was cohesive, unlike season two.

7. STAR TREK DISCOVERY -- a complete tonal mess the first season with too many cooks in the kitchen and no agreed upon recipe to follow.

8. STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION -- a few gems in an otherwise very poorly produced season. Watch "Chaos on the Bridge" and it is amazing we got any good episodes at all.

Last edited:
So the forthcoming 4K remaster of The Motion Picture isn't just going to be the TC and DC, it's going to include the extra long TV cut too. I used a couple of TV scenes in my edit because even though they looked terrible they were essential to the story IMO. It'll be cool to see them in 4K, rather than 0.1K :LOL: .

I don't care how pristine the restoration is, no movie with production design and costumes this ugly

24180_23.jpg

is ever going to look good, and I will not be revisiting said cure for insomnia in any foreseeable decade.

Now, then, the real question is, will the upcoming new transfer for TFF bring us any closer to TM2YC's Paradise fan fix?! :ROFLMAO:

Two new trailers for Season 3 of Picard and Season 3 of Lower Decks.

Also for some reason a teaser that all Star Trek series are now exclusively on Paramount+ in the US. They've all been there for a while, but now they aren't anywhere else. I get why Paramount execs are excited by that, but it's not especially good news for viewers. And strangely, they can't say the whole franchise is available because Beyond is missing. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere, except to rent or buy.

I am most intrigued by this little teaser that we'll be getting Strange New Worlds/Lower Decks crossover.
293429490_5612632458788530_4746759422281778697_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom