• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ST:DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations" Extended - Audi

pauley79

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I sent the disks for my five edits went out into the mail on the 3rd of Oct. at 2:06pm (Japan Standard Time). So they should be getting to Boon soon, it takes longer to get to the Germany then to States. Anyways, I mailed them out to a good friend of mine who is a CGI editor at NEO-f/x. He received my DS9 edit on the 7th. Here is what he had to say in an e-mail he sent me...

James,

I think the bottom of your e-mail says the most about editing in general?.it is an ?art?. As such, there is no right or wrong way to edit. The goal of any edit is to tell a story, and do it in a manner in which the viewer is not confused. And just like real art, no matter what you do, some people will like it and some people will hate it.

I have seen some other fan edits of these episodes, and I have to say yours is better than many of them. One I saw recently had overlapping music tracks from DS9 and the original episode, and there was one that even tried to match scenes between restored footage and original footage. I am glad you didn?t do this. There are obviously a couple ways you could edit this?one as a DS9 episode, and one as a TOS episode. I believe the last one I watched was a TOS version, but it just didn?t feel right?I liked your version better.

As an editor, there were a couple technical items that I saw. One was a scene where Odo is talking and then is completely cut off before a transition to another scene. The other was one of consistency of the story?.when the Klingons arrive you establish a shot on the bridge, and you see that Koloth is already on K-7. Then you transition to Sisco where he finds out that Koloth just beamed over. It has been a while since I have seen each episode individually, so I am sure how I would do it, but I am thinking the turbo lift scene could be edited shorter to not conflict the TOS episode.

Out side of those issues, the only other things that stood out were the credits not being the same font as the opening (not easy to do), and the use of New Voyages ship. Again, these did not distract from the story?just were noticeable to a fellow editor.

If NEO f/x were to do this edit, we would probably re-do all of the special effects.

Overall, good job..keep it up!

Michael
Manager-NEO f/x team
http://www.neo-fx.com

I want to hear everyone's thoughts on this when it is uploaded. I would upload these edits my self, but with the internet being so slow, and being the only internet I can get living on base here, it would take forever, longer then it would to mail them to Boon to have him upload them. So please thank Boon for taking his time to upload them.

Well, when they are upload please tell me what you think...

From Boon23 on 24 Oct 2006 05:09 pm

Having watched only 20 minutes from the first trial I was pretty excited to take a look at the new edited version from Pauley79.
Trials and Tribble-ations is one of my favorite DS9 epsiodes, not just because it is a nice story, but especially because it perfectly connects the old Enterprise epsiode with new special effects into a DS9 epsiode.

Now what Pauley79 did was to put even more detail from the original episode into the DS9 one and he succeeded in doing so. You get a longer and more detailed story than before and it is a pleasure to watch this.

video editing quality: good. The transitions were most of all very well done, it cannot always be seen, if you are watching the old Enterprise episode or the DS9 episode, so this was done rally well.

audio editing quality: it is not the fault of the faneditor that the sound is a bit of a problem, because the old Enterprise sound does not always fit to the revamped sound of DS9. There is a lot of crackling they did not filter out fromthe original series. So one can tell quite easily, if he is watching parts from the old series or DS9. Still the audio work is done quite well, there are a few scenes, where things could have worked better soundwise, but still there is nothing to complain about.

The Extras: the menu is static but nicely done, it fits to the cover art and to the overall feeling of a VER colourful episode. The other extras are most of all trailers, whcih are intersting to watch and let me look forward to Pauley79s next works.

Overall it was nice to watch this edit. Still if I have the choice to either watchthis edit or watch the DS9 episode again, i would go for the DS) one, because it was complete for me. In my opinion the additions did not add much but stretch the story and make it unnecessarily long. But I am sure that this is just a matter of taste and I am proud to add this fanedit to my collection

ratings:
movie rating: 3 of 5
video quality (compared to the original): 5 of 5
audio quality (compared to the original): 5 of 5
editing: 4 of 5

overall rating: 4 of 5 FE stars.

FANEDITED.COM

From Rotten Johnny on 23 Nov 2006 02:31 am

I watched this one yesterday. Very impressed by what I saw. Pauley took the two episodes Star Trek's "The Trouble with Tribbles" and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's "Trials and Tribble-ations" and cut them into one beautiful edit. The thing that stands out most is that Pauley loves Star Trek. He didn't attempt to favor one show over the other nor did he attempt edit the story. If you're not a fan of Star Trek TOS or maybe you're not a fan of Deep Space Nine it doesn't matter. Everyone has their favorite version of Star Trek. This edit has something in it for everyone. This just good Star Trek period.

The only flub I noticed was when Odo's in the bar then shot fades to go to the TOS whatever he said is lost. I'm not sure if this from the editing by Pauley or my dvd was bad. Two of the trailers included froze up so I'm thinking the fault is of my media.

My only real complaint was the menu. Thumbnails and very little titles. Plus no music. I think it was have been nice if the voiceover and opening from TOS was used but I understand why Pauley used DS9's opening.

Overall, I'd give five out of five stars.

From DoctorM on 22 Nov 2006 06:21 am

I just sat through this edit and was _very_ entertained.
It works so logically as an edit. DS9's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern approach left the door open to a full hybrid of 2 really enjoyable ST episodes.

That said it does have a few technical failings. The sound IS mixed at a very low level. Frame rates seem to be variable (I'm going to hazard that some footage was video and some was film). It's really a good idea to inverse telecine footage if you are mixing sources. It just makes for smoother viewing (it's common practice to mix but it's just plain noticeable while watching.)

My last complaint is that some cuts and crossfades were poorly done in one case even cutting off dialog mid sentence.

That said, this was a great edit and I recommend it to anyone who has any love for Star Trek (or small furry creatures).
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

From dark_jedi on 22 Oct 2006 07:43 am

Hi Pauley,
I finally finished downloading this one,and I must say,this was really pieced together fantastic,very well done,there were some very small glitches,but overall,being a Star Trek fan and all,I loved it,this was a pleasure watching,I am eagerly awaiting your BORG edit now.
keep up the great work Pauley,nicely done
DJ

WOW!

Two of my favorite Trek episodes edited together in one great, fun extended episode!!!

WELL DONE!!!

Also LOVED your ENTERPRISE tribute! Very nice.

Looking very much forward to your BORG release.

First, I have to say this is a GREAT IDEA!!

Has anyone else noticed the wonky audio on this edit? I love the concept but the audio was kind of distracting.

There are several scenes that the audio favors the right channel with very little center channel then others that audio is dead on then some spots the audio drops out during fades. I had to hook up the analog audio outs and play it via 5 channel stereo.

Pauly79 any chance of a V2 with corrected audio?

I would love to do a V2, but I am waiting for the ST: Remastered episodes to be released on DVD. I want to use that version for my V2.

It would be very helpful if someone had a copy of it. I have found some torrents, but they don't seem to be that great of a copy.

So only time will tell!

pauley79 said:
I would love to do a V2, but I am waiting for the ST: Remastered episodes to be released on DVD. I want to use that version for my V2.

It would be very helpful if someone had a copy of it. I have found some torrents, but they don't seem to be that great of a copy.

So only time will tell!

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blaksvn said:
First, I have to say this is a GREAT IDEA!!

Has anyone else noticed the wonky audio on this edit? I love the concept but the audio was kind of distracting.

There are several scenes that the audio favors the right channel with very little center channel then others that audio is dead on then some spots the audio drops out during fades. I had to hook up the analog audio outs and play it via 5 channel stereo.

Pauly79 any chance of a V2 with corrected audio?

I too was disappointed with the audio on this release, but as a newbie I figured I might get my head ripped off for saying anything. I'm guessing it has to do with the older Trek probably having MONO audio and the DS9 being in STEREO.. :grin:

I will agree that this was a brilliant idea. I think you put the scenes in the correct order and did a great job at transitions. This is how this episode is meant to be. :D

Though, the audio is a bit weird like others said, but I just put my player in mono mode and I have audio out of both speakers. I had headphones on, so I could tell that the voice came out of the right speaker, while all music even from the classic series parts came out of both. Ah well. This is still a great concept.

Yeah I loved this edit.
The technical problems were unfortunate.
I will be all over v2 when it's done.

Back
Top Bottom