• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Splitting a DTS to seperate WAVs on a Mac (without ffmpeg)

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys!
Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere, I've just searched far and wide to no avail.

I’m finally far along enough my "Wolverine" edit to start working with the 5.1 Mix soon. This was primarily stopped me from making any real progress last time. (to clarify, I’ll know how to mix in 5.1 in Davinci Resolve once I actually have the files; it’s GETTING those Wav files, from the 5.1 Mix, that’s the actual problem). Right now, I’ve extracted the 5.1 Mix with tsMuxerGUI as a single .dts file… the problem is, that’s obviously not a file type audacity can open (at least on a Mac). I’ve gone in circles trying to figure out how to split it into individual mono wavs to no avail, usually getting recommended to “just do it with ffmpeg.”

At risk of sounding like Dr. Bones McCoy, I'm a professional editor NOT a programmer. Considering I’m not a programmer, and have therefore never once successfully converted anything with ffmpeg and probably couldn’t no matter how hard I tried, I’m actively seeking to avoid using it for this conversion. I’ve installed it, reinstalled it, even reinstalled homebrew, and all of it has been fruitless. So I’m done wasting my time going in circles, because I cannot possibly make that software work.

This is literally the only major technical issue I've run into whilst making this edit, and every time it happens it brings the entire project to a screeching halt. If ffmpeg is truly the only possible way to do this on a mac, then unfortunately that probably means that I simply won't be able to release this edit with a 5.1 Mix and will have to settle for stereo. I would hate to go that route, since I actually know HOW to mix in 5.1, the only issue is getting the 6 .wavs from a .dts file. I’ve heard about “AudioMuxer,” which I believe is available for Mac. Any editors here experienced with it? Any other much simpler solutions to this problem, available on a Mac, worth mentioning?

I appreciate any help offered

If it weren’t for mac the solution would be easy, but i‘m not aware of an alternative for mac despite ffmpeg.
I could offer to transcode your dts file to ac3, pcm, wav or flac if you like and sent it back to you.

I could offer to transcode your dts file to ac3, pcm, wav or flac if you like and sent it back to you.
Just a disclaimer, I'm pretty sure that offer could constitute non-compliance with the site's anti-piracy rules; since this is a public forum thread.

DTS opens for me in Audacity on Mac, from there you can export as WAV.

Interesting, I wonder if it's Audacity's current settings that are the problem.
Will try adjusting them then report back 👍
You may have to install ffmpeg or a plugin of it or something, if you google "audacity ffmpeg" you'll find a page with the download, you just throw that file into the same folder where audacity is. It's a one-time setup so naturally I forgot the details. Once it's there, Audacity works with video stuff. If it works without it, great.

Just a disclaimer, I'm pretty sure that offer could constitute non-compliance with the site's anti-piracy rules; since this is a public forum thread.
I‘m aware, i wouldn’t make the offer if i had the source, just not this audio track.

You may have to install ffmpeg or a plugin of it or something, if you google "audacity ffmpeg" you'll find a page with the download, you just throw that file into the same folder where audacity is. It's a one-time setup so naturally I forgot the details. Once it's there, Audacity works with video stuff. If it works without it, great.
After researching what you said, I was able to locate something like that in the official Audacity download manual online; I never occurred to me that apps might have their own unique interfaces for using ffmpeg (as opposed to the very user-unfriendly interface in terminal).

After downloading it via Audacity's instructions, this appears to have successfully solved the problem. Thanks a million @addiesin!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom