• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spiderman 3: No Sandman edition

dangarratt said:
AvP said:
eldiablosuizo said:
Okay, so the links are up for the DVD, but it's in PAL. Is an NTSC possible at all?

Im working on a NTSC conversion :)

Cool bananas...
But can't NTSC players automatically play PAL? My 6-year-old PAL DVD plays NTSC flawlessly - or is it because NTSC to PAL is more info to less, whereas PAL to NTSC is trying to create more "info" (4 extra frames) out of less?

haha, haven't had to explain this in a while. You folks in PAL land have it lucky that your systems will play both formats. Here in the USA (and possibly true for most NTSC regions), many of players (with the exception of some upper-end models like Oppo) will not play PAL.

to sum it up: The whole world can play NTSC. Only part of it can play PAL

ThrowgnCpr said:
Here in the USA (and possibly true for most NTSC regions), many of players (with the exception of some upper-end models like Oppo) will not play PAL.
Many cheapo (typically chinese manufactured) NTSC DVD players will play PAL directly out of the box or w/ a simple unlock code. They arent anywhere as good (when connected to a HDTV) as the high end players (oppo) but they do exist, its just not usually advertised on the box/manual.

Oddly enough in my experience its the midrange players (sony/samsung/yamaha/pioneer) that will not play PAL.

I have had $40 players handle PAL discs and $60-$120 players not be able.
The last midrange I had that was able to play PAL was a $85 Toshiba X-something but its PQ was unacceptable for my tastes.
I now have a low end Oppo ($200) and that handles anything I throw at it.

elbarto1 said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
Here in the USA (and possibly true for most NTSC regions), many of players (with the exception of some upper-end models like Oppo) will not play PAL.
Many cheapo (typically chinese manufactured) NTSC DVD players will play PAL directly out of the box or w/ a simple unlock code. They arent anywhere as good (when connected to a HDTV) as the high end players (oppo) but they do exist, its just not usually advertised on the box/manual.

Oddly enough in my experience its the midrange players (sony/samsung/yamaha/pioneer) that will not play PAL.

Yes, but it should be noted that there is a difference between PLAYING PAL, and converting PAL to NTSC on the fly. Most older TVs (in the USA) cannot accept a PAL signal. So, I have a cheapo DVD player that will "play" PAL discs, but my old CRT television wont play the signal at all (dont ask me to explain, I have no idea what is going on in that thing ;P ). Really only a handful of models convert PAL to NTSC on the fly.

PAL FTW? :-D

A quick browse on wikipedia seems to indicate that PAL = 2xNTSC. Therefore PAL can decode NTSC (just run half the decoder) - but NTSC can't decode PAL without extra hardware.

And here's the problem...

"Perhaps the most technical challenging conversion to make is the PAL to NTSC.

* PAL is 625 lines at 50 fields/s
* NTSC is 525 lines at 59.94 fields/s (60,000/1,001 frame/s)

The two TV standards are for all practical purposes temporally and spatially incompatible with each other.

Aside from the line count being different, it's easy to see that generating 60 fields every second from a format that has only 50 fields might pose some interesting problems.

Every second, an additional 10 fields must be generated seemingly from nothing. The converter has to create new frames (from the existing input) in real time."
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television ... conversion

Then there's a whole bunch of info on how to do it.
Cool to know - thanks to you lot having NTSC over the pond I've learnt something new :)

NSTC version is now available.

A number of poeple have expressed interest in adding sandman back in to my edit, up to his destruction. As mentioned, I won't do this, since I like the movie the way it is (it tells the story it wanted to tell, however weak that story is) - but I'm happy to package my source material and project from VideoStudio if anyone else wants to take a crack at it.
Otherwise just rip the last 30 minutes off my DVD release and use that :)

Below is my comment/review that I posted at the main site.
Note that I watched the PAL DVD.

I haven't seen Spidey 3 since watching at the theatre and I just watched this edit last night. I did like it more than the original in that it didn't drag on too long, though it did drag on a bit.
After the opening fight with Peter and Harry, there is no action and all melodrama until the 55 minute mark.

The only improvement I can suggest is to just cut the whole amnesia thing so as to pick up the pace a bit.
MJ would still have to betray Peter though, because that's why Peter's turned to the dark side in this version.
But I wouldn't show the part with MJ's dinner and dance with Harry. Because that makes us not feel bad for MJ anymore. Best to just show her calling Harry and then MJ breaking up with Peter and Harry telling Peter that the other guy is indeed Harry himself. I really like the pie remark ;) so that has to stay.
So with those modifications, it could get cut down to about an hour runtime with a much quicker pace without losing anything too important.

The editing, video and audio quality - all impeccible, as I watched the DVD version. Those are all 10/10
The story... 7/10, only because of the long lapse in action - I didn't mind the disco/nightclub Peter scenes too much this time around, maybe because I knew to expect it and was able to just appreciate the impact of Peter becoming a prick.

Overall 8/10

zeppelinrox said:

Thanks for the review. I like the suggestions - I may revisit Spidey3 and make a really short punchy version! maybe sometime next year... :)

dangarratt said:
zeppelinrox said:

Thanks for the review. I like the suggestions - I may revisit Spidey3 and make a really short punchy version! maybe sometime next year... :)
You're welcome. I'm glad you like my suggestions.

If you do redo it, maybe it can be the "No Sandman No BS edition" ;)

^^ I'd definitely be interested in that edit! :)

I was intrigued by the idea that popped into my head yesterday.
The idea was the no sandman, no bs stuff as above, but incorporating some "dark cut" or "darkness within" ideas.
A short and badass cut.

zeppelinrox said:
I was intrigued by the idea that popped into my head yesterday.
The idea was the no sandman, no bs stuff as above, but incorporating some "dark cut" or "darkness within" ideas.
A short and badass cut.

Go for it! I'll only get around to it sometime next year, if at all, so the field is yours....!

I actually just went into my own Dark Cut and did a bit of reshaping to see if I could get something like what you guys are talking about above... I think it could work. Basically, what it is is Dangarratt's No Sandman cut mixed together with my Dark Cut, AND the Amnesia subplot removed.

One of the cool things I managed to do was to get Harry to not show up at all after the initial fight up until the parade scene, where he comes up to MJ and instantly says "Hey, where's Pete?" This is kinda cool cos it shows that even though he's still got his memory, he's subtly trying to worm his way back towards Peter. When she says she doesn't know, he looks at her and then tells her about the play, as though he suddenly has a new idea of how to get to peter.

Idk if you guys want me to release it or if one of you wants to have a crack at it yourselves though, cos if you want me to release it I could get it done pretty quickly. Idk though.

Joelio said:
Idk if you guys want me to release it or if one of you wants to have a crack at it yourselves though, cos if you want me to release it I could get it done pretty quickly. Idk though.
I'd like to see your work on that :)

I was able to take spider-man and goblin's dialogue from the spider-man 1 game and have it on my computer as well as some sound effects...would either of you be interested? I know some other board members already have the files.

Back
Top Bottom