• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spider-Man: Birth of a Hero - by Blankfist

blankfist

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently working on a retelling of the Spider-Man trilogy combining the best of Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 2.1 and Spider-Man 3. I've spent a lot of time preparing the files and developing a workflow so the product would be the best it could be! Hopefully I will be done with it soon.

Here's more info about the recut:

Original Film Titles: Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 2.1 and Spider-Man 3/
New Film Title: Spider-Man: Birth of a Hero
New Run Time: 232 Minutes
Special DVD Note: DL version

DVD details:
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, NTSC
5.1 Dolby Digital Surround (English)
Static menu, detailed chapter list
DVD cover and disc artwork

list of changes (too many to realistically mention here)
*SPOILER ALERT*
If you want to be surprised by the way in which the new story unfolds, I recommend NOT reading the changes below because they will give away important plot points which have been slightly altered from the original DVD releases.

1 - Augmented original title sequence by adding "BIRTH OF A HERO" animation.
2 - Story-lines from movie 2 and 3 blended so to overlap where applicable. The origin is kept in tact, but the first movie is cut significantly where the story-line starts to focus too much on the Harry, MJ and Parker story arcs.
3 - Peter Parker cries a lot less.
4 - Mary Jane and Peter Parker's story-line strengthened by removing redundant "get together/break up" scenes and "we can't be together" scenes.
5 - Harry never experiences amnesia.
6 - Big props to ADigitalMan for his idea to treat Venom's voice. I've also added a small effect to Venom's voice, but it's a touch subtler than ADM's implementation.
7 - There's no origin given for Green Goblin, instead it plays out as a slow reveal that Norman Osborne is the Goblin. The green mist is no longer a story element, though the green liquid is shown but once as Harry finds his father's secret arsenal.
8 - Villain story-lines are intermingled - in fact, when Doc Oct robs the bank, Sandman robs the armored car about the same time. I had to do some creative splicing here to get this to work. If you look closely, you may be able to see where I rotoscoped out the pizza boxes in two Spidey swinging shots from SM2.
9 - For the Doc Oct action scenes, I opted for the SM2.1 extended fight sequences: they're a bit more brutal than SM2 DVD's version.
10 - No opening Voiceovers. Though, there is one Peter VO at the end.
11 - Parker no longer beats up Flash in high school. The main reason for me to remove this scene was because with Parker doing gravity defying flips in the air and knocking Flash twenty yards down the school hallway, it wouldn't take much for one of the schoolmates to eventually figure him to be Spider-Man in the coming months. That scene never felt right to me.
12 - Removed Spider-Man losing his powers and the "Spider-Man No More" story-lines. I like them, and they work great in SM2, but they don't fit in this retelling.
13 - Used SM2's ending instead of SM3, because it was generally a better ending. And with how I tell the story of Parker and MJ, it really fits well with their budding love story.
14 - Macy Gray has been cut out of Unity Day as much as humanly possible.
15 - Goblin no longer wants to make a deal with Spider-Man.
16 - Most of the levity scenes have been taken out, which includes a lot of the J Jonah Jameson stuff in the Bugle.
17 - I needed to keep the Gwen Stacy & Parker at the Jazz Club scene in for the story to gel, though I will concede when I tried to cut it together, it started looking a lot like ADM's version. I promise, this was the only way it would cut together! :)
18 - Timelines for MJ accepting John Jameson's proposal have been shifted toward the end of the SM3 timeline, and it works well with the timing of Parker's story to return the wedding ring to his Aunt May.

Intention for this fanedit:
Although I'm a huge fan of the Spider-Man trilogy, I wanted to do something in the vein of a Marvel-style action packed comic book using all of the preexisting action footage and minimizing the many story-lines from the films to very specific moments that only serve to move the plot forward. This is an action packed Spider-Man thrill ride meant for the true fanboys!

Time needed for the edition:
Discovery of workflow: 3 days
Preplanning: 3 days
Editing: 5 days
Sound Editing: 1 day
Authoring DVD & Artwork Creation: 4 days so far

Here's a sample of the DVD art to come:
smboahyg2.jpg

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How are you going to handle the aspect ratio change between Spidey 1 and 2?

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cool art work!
2a0ma2r.jpg

blankfist

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:
How are you going to handle the aspect ratio change between Spidey 1 and 2?

I didn't realize the aspect ratio change until I had already digitized all of the footage and viewed them side by side. It's unfortunate they didn't shoot the original SM1 using anamorphic lenses, but the way I got around it was by adding a 2.35:1 matte to the SM1 and augmenting it ever so slightly to match the 2.40:1 matte on SM2, SM2.1 & SM3. I also had to offset the SM1 center so heads weren't cut off. The end result works well.

Hey, AVP, how do you get the artwork to layout on a virtual DVD cover like that?

stomachworm

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't wait for this one! I dig the Spidey movies because you can mix them soooo many ways.

(That's a badass cover too!)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds way cool. I hate the Macy Gray part, as it pulls me out of the story, and dates the movie. Why do directors/studios insist on pulling this crap?

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm diggin' it. and converting SM1 to 2.35/1 should be interesting

Grievous Angel Draven

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because it puts $ in their bank accounts. BTW, really looking forward to this edit!

sladetwc

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bravo to Blankfist for taking on this Herculean task! Can't wait for the release, man... I enjoyed your Fall of the Republic edit, by the way. :)

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure if the first film will work, since it is such a dfferent time period - high school. Perhaps it would be better and more realistic, just to combine the second and third films and cutting the redundant bits.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mmm well if it is done in an epic format, then it should work. just having a significant pause of some sort (or hell, flashbacks if you are going in reverse) should suffice.

blankfist

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sladetwc said:
Bravo to Blankfist for taking on this Herculean task! Can't wait for the release, man... I enjoyed your Fall of the Republic edit, by the way. :)

Thanks, sladetwc, though you may be one of the few who enjoyed The Fall. I even agree it had its glaring problems, which I've worked hard to ensure are not seen in this new fanedit.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First: Looks promising, all three installments of Spidey should give enough stuff for such an epic cut drawn together! ;-)

Second: Awesome Cover artwork! :)

Third: Forcing my luck, but would subtitles be possible? ;-)

blankfist

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The disc is pretty tight with it being nearly 4 hours, so there's little room left for much other than just the feature. I've spent the past several days burnings and reburning in order to get just the right bitrate recipe to get the best picture and sound quality possible. That aside, the DVD is done as of this afternoon, and I'm excited to announce that it's being torrented as we speak. I hope to get it on fanedit.org very soon!

In the meantime, here's a look at the final cover and disc art:
displayij2.jpg

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like an interesting edit.

1 question, is there also going to be a single layer DVD (because I can't burn dual layer DVD's)?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
here is the torrent link:
myspleen

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This seems interesting. The spider-man franchise never really peaked my interest. The comic adaptations were getting played out (poorly) and it seemed cheesy. Although maybe now I can give it a chance. Sounds like a cool edit.

I really love the artwork for the most part, although I find my eyes straining over the blur effect on the front cover.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
MySpleen seemst to be an ALT Tracker which isn't accepting new members to register...
Correct me if I'm wrong...

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you need a invite

Top Bottom