• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spider-Man 3: Dark Cut

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally settled on the title lol.

Fanedit type: True Fanedit
tagline: Darkness Lies Within
original film name: Spider-Man 3
new film name: Spider-Man 3: Dark Cut

film studio name: Columbia/Sony Studios

Date Original Film Was Released: May 4th 2007
Date Edit Was Released: October 21st 2009

Original Runtime: 133 minutes
New Runtime: 122 minutes

Amount of time Cut/Added: 11 minutes removed, about ten seconds added

Cuts removed/added/extended:

1. Changed the opening title music so that the percussion instruments heard when "Marvel" flickers by is the same as in the first two films.
2. Removed the backstage scene
3. Removed Harry's scene in the Goblin's Lair
4. Removed Aunt May saying "We'd be married fifty years come August, if..."
5. Cut Peter's facial expression when he falls down the side of the building during the New Goblin Air Battle.
6. Cut the scientists from Sandman's creation
7. Cut down the conversation between Peter and MJ about her review. MJ comes across as less whiny, and Peter comes across as more of a **** (he doesn't even give her any words of advice, as soon as he hears the radio he says "I'm sorry" and walks off. He's a real jerk )
8. Cut the line "Okay Gwen, I've got a secret, it's my copiah!"
9. Added a Wilhelm Scream to the Crane scene (just for giggles :p)
10. Cut Peter dancing with the Marching Band
11. Removed the little boy telling Spider-Man not to kiss Gwen.
12. Cut out Peter tipping sand from his boot and spitting sand.
13. Removed Mary Jane seeing the headline on her way to dinner with Peter.
14. Got rid of the random shot of Spider-Man swinging through the water when Sandman is getting washed away.
15. Removed Peter shutting the suit in the chest after he first uses it; he looks in the mirror, opens his shirt, looks own at the suit, then looks back up at his reflection, and the sound fades into his conversation with Aunt May. It works quite nicely. This was done so that I could incorporate the shot of Black Suit Spidey swinging to meet MJ; in this edit, he never decides not to use the suit, and therefore is entitled to wear it to see her.
16. Removed MJ arriving at Harry's penthouse.
17. Removed the dance sequence between Harry and MJ.
18. Added a short scene of Black-Suited Spider-Man swinging through the city on his way to meet MJ.
19. Toned down the breakup scene; I basically just removed the crying and a couple of lines from Peter.
20. Cut the waitress talking to Harry at the diner.
21. At the end of the shot of Peter sitting on his bed thinking about Harry, instead of having Peter look towards his trunk, we fade into the now black-and-white shot of Peter looking at the symbiote symbol in the mirror. This way we can really feel that he's thinking carefully about what he's doing.
22. Heavily edited the Harry/Peter battle in Harry's mansion. It's now much more climactic and intense. I took out the original score and placed James Dooley's "Trinity" over the top, and pasted in any sound effects that were needed for the scene.
23. Changed the music and sound effects for the scene where Peter finds Brock's headline, and did a bit of re-structuring. Peter doesn't wink or glance at any girls.
24. Removed the entire "Funky Souls" montage. This was originally going to remain in the film, with all of the strutting removed and a shot of Black Suited Spider-Man swinging through New York inserted into the montage. However, when I watched the film through, the music didn't really fit in with the dark tone that I had set for the film, so I removed it.
25. Cut out Peter's dance in the Jazz Club, he now only dances with Gwen.
26. After Gwen leaves, while Peter rubs his chest again, we once again fade into the B&W shot of Peter looking in the mirror.
27. As a continuation of the flashback added after Gwen leaves Peter at the Jazz Club, the scene of Venom jumping out at Peter from the mirror is added just before Peter spins around and hits MJ. It's a very sudden moment, and fits in well with the notion that it wasn't Peter hitting MJ, it was the suit. Also, All flashbacks up until this point are in black-and-white; given the sudden nature of the scene (it lasts for 11 frames, less than a second) and the fact that it isn't a flashback at all, and more of an intrusion of his mind, I decided to make that scene in colour. I quite like the way I've done it.
28. Another addition to the whole black suit portion of the film is that I changed the greyscale of the film for all the scenes after the Harry fight. The scene in the street with the news headline, Brock's humiliation and the Jazz Club scene have all had a black-and-white blend with the colour to make the image a lot paler and kinda darker. As soon as Peter hits MJ, the colour surges back to the normal colour scheme, so that we see Peter being pulled out of this dreamlike state and back into the real world.
29. At the end of the Church scene, Venom swallows the camera and we stay black for a couple of seconds while the roar echoes out, and then fade onto Peter in the shower.
30. Modified Venom's voice, to make it deeper. This was the only change I could make to Venom; at one point, someone suggested I add a huge slimy tongue, but that would require a LOT of CGI for a LOT of shots.
31. Cut as much of the news report as possible. This meant cutting Venom's message in the web, but all in all, it's not really missed too much. The film cuts straight from Peter looking at the suit to Harry holding his head in his mansion.
32. Removed the scene with Bernard explaining to Harry about Norman being responsible for his own death.
33. Removed a shot of MJ screaming in the car, it's really obvious that she's not scared (her mouth and eyes show a happy expression).
34. Cut Venom's perverted line "My Spider Sense is tingling!". Peter says "My god, Eddie!" then Venom pulls MJ towards him, Peter leaps forward and Venom punches him away. It works well.
35. Slightly shortened Eddie's conversation with Peter in the web.
36. Removed a few shots of Peter's face when Venom's talking to him in the web.
37. Removed the news reporter from when Sandman is beating Spider-Man.
38. Cut a shot of the little girl crying when Sandman is beating Spider-Man. That scene is all about MJ and Peter, so I cut all the shots of the crowd Oohing and Aahing, so the girl went too.
39. Cut the boys saying "Awesome, wicked cool!" When the pumpkin bomb goes off.
40. Shortened Harry's conversation with Peter when he saves him, Venom attacks them almost immediately so that we see he's not about to wait up for anyone.
41. Removed Jameson's conversation with Raimi's daughter.
42. Removed Harry yelling "Am I interrupting?"
43. After Venom knocks Harry aside and the bars fall around him, I have cut all the shots of Harry until he jumps in front of the glider. His death comes as more of a shock, although in saying that, if you've read this list and haven't already seen the movie then it won't be much of a shock. But still, it works better.
44. Removed the shot of Peter stretching out for the bar, he now just webs it towards him.
45. Added "People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Souls" to the end of the credits. It goes from the end of Signal Fire to the start of the fan-edit credits I put after the official ones.
46. Added some new credits at the end of the original ones, to do with the fan edit of the movie.

Fanedit details:
- File type: mp4 file
- Video resolution: 640x360
- Audio: 2.0 stereo sound

Your intention for this fanedit: To remove any goofy elements and make the film dark and serious, while retaining some of the lighthearted Spidey fun where it is warranted (eg Jameson scenes, Bruce Campbell)

Your way to achieve your intention: Removing things like street dancing, Jazz Club dancing, replacing music in scenes to make them either less goofy and more dark, or just a little bit darker than they originally were.

Hardware and software information: Serif Movieplus 5.0, Audacity, AVS Video Converter, Microsoft Sound Recorder

Time needed for the edition: About 12 months, sadly
persons involved: 3 (myself and a couple of friends who helped with VFX)

Here's a series of preview clips from the edit:

Links are available on MU. Just note, the file name is actually "Spider-Man 3.1", as that was my temporary name that I used until I released it.

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spider-Man 3: Dark Cut

Plot: Peter Parker is on top of the world. He's got the love of his life and the love of the city he protects. In fact, things are a little too good for Spider-Man. While girlfriend Mary Jane's career falters, Peter becomes more and more confident, to the point where it starts hurting the ones he loves. On top of this, hotshot Edward Brock Jr. is vying for a position on the Bugle, his uncle's killer is revealed and on the loose as the Sandman, and old friend Harry Osborn is out for the head of Spider-Man. Just how the heck is Peter supposed to balance all this?

Image Quality: For an .mp4, it looks really good. 7/10.

Audio Quality: 2.0 stereo on laptop speakers. Sounds great except for one hard audio cut that I noticed. 8/10.

Difference to the Original: Two Spider-Man cuts in one month, it would be hard for me to not compare the two. Whereas the No-Sandman edition creates a dull, yet very creative story out of SM3, SM3 - Dark Cut creates a movie out of the material. Having not seen the original in quite some time, I went in just to watch and found that this version moves and is somewhat exciting, considering the source material. It just feels faster, which is definitely what is needed.

Additionally, a lot of the camp is removed, and quite invisibly, too. The only gag I wish was gone or truncated was the vibrating desk, but the majority of the cringe-inducing moments are kept out. The only moment that camp should have been reinstated was the only poor scene in the edit, which was the dance sequence. Instead of being over-the-top and really feeling how affected Mary Jane is by Peter's destructive behavior, what we get is an understated, single dance where everyone seems to overreact to how scandalous Peter is. Along with one black and white flashback too many, it really makes the jazz club sequence lackluster, but, with some easy editing, a version two would not be unwelcome.

Two small quibbles I also have was a hard audio cut right before Peter goes to ask for Harry's help and a new piece of score inserted for the duel between Harry and Peter. The first one speaks for itself, but the latter music choice feels a bit out of place. It works kind of, but the piece chosen doesn't exactly match the template for Spidey music. This could be personal choice, but this is a critique and I am criticizing.

In fact, I feel I might be criticizing too much. Because this is a really good edit. Not anything revolutionary, but really, really invisible, and those are the best kinds of edits for me. Way to go, Joelio.

Overall Presentation: It's an mp4. It was easy to unarchive, so...9/10. Just 'cause it's not a DVD yet.

Entertainment Value: 7.5/10.

approved.png

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for your feedback. As far as the Jazz Club scene goes, I actually initially intended to leave in that dance scene - but after watching it back, it felt out of place for the tone I was trying to create for the film. I wanted dark Peter to be aggressive, but also calm and collective, so most of the time he seems to keep control and know what he's doing ,except when he lets loose.

Re the Harry fight, I figured that the fight had been brewing since the end of SM1, and so it was a lot of built up emotions that were suddenly being let out with the aid of the black suit AND Harry's recent actions towards MJ. But, we all have different opinions, and so once again your feedback - and your critique - is welcomed :)

If anyone would like to make some DVD artwork for this, I'd be more than happy to let them go for it. Oh, and I actually wrote my own "official" synopsis for this, so if someone does make a cover then I'd like this one to be used:

In Spider-Man 3.1, Peter Parker has finally managed to strike a balance between his devotion to M.J. and his duties as Spider-Man. But when his suit suddenly shanges, turning jet-black and enhancing his powers, it transforms Peter as well.

Now, in this all-new version of the film, Peter's descent into the dark side is more established and compromising than ever before. Fan-editor Joel Wilson cuts eleven minutes and makes many subtle changes to the film to bring it into a new light, making Peter's morally questioning journey darker, creepier and pshycologically challenging.

While Peter slips further and further away from the people he loves, two new villains - Sandman and New Goblin - begin to gather unparalleled power of thirst for retribution, and threaten everything that Peter previously stood for. As a storm begins to brew on the horizon, Peter must make a final decision for himself, while he discovers that the greatest battle he ever faces will ultimately be the one within himself.

Cheers. I can't give an exact timeframe, but I'll get it as a DVD at some point :)

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Joelio said:
Thanks for your feedback. As far as the Jazz Club scene goes, I actually initially intended to leave in that dance scene - but after watching it back, it felt out of place for the tone I was trying to create for the film. I wanted dark Peter to be aggressive, but also calm and collective, so most of the time he seems to keep control and know what he's doing ,except when he lets loose.

It is completely over the top, so maybe you could tone down some of the reactions? I don't know, but, the way it stands, it seems off.

Joelio said:
I figured that the fight had been brewing since the end of SM1, and so it was a lot of built up emotions that were suddenly being let out with the aid of the black suit AND Harry's recent actions towards MJ. But, we all have different opinions, and so once again your feedback - and your critique - is welcomed :)

The fight itself was perfect. Don't change the actual edits to that. It's just the accompanying music that seems off.

Again, it's your edit, so you can disregard it. Just advice.

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldiablosuizo said:
It is completely over the top, so maybe you could tone down some of the reactions? I don't know, but, the way it stands, it seems off.

I'll look into it, but I've been working on this for about a year now and it's gone through about seven different versions, so I think it's unlikely that I can change it.

eldiablosuizo said:
The fight itself was perfect. Don't change the actual edits to that. It's just the accompanying music that seems off.

Again, it's your edit, so you can disregard it. Just advice.

You got any suggestions for any songs? I can look into that too, I just can't make any promises, heh.

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In regards to songs, I do not have any suggestions, as I am devoid of creativity regarding film scores. Maybe if you mine some other Danny Elfman scores? Of course, seeing as you've worked on it for a year, you probably went through that.

That's my only suggestion.

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heh, yeah I did. But I'll keep an eye out for any other music. As it is, I'm honestly happy with what I've done, but I'll see what I can do nonetheless.

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, that looks great, thanks Boon! Could I just request that you add the title to the front as well? I feel it'd warrant from that. But again, thanks!

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, the title is on purpose NOT on the front, because I think the image looks a lot better without it.
As you can see, the image fills the entire screen with Spidey. Putting the title there would IMO take away from it.

the only place I can see it working would be on the horizon overlapped by Spidey and his web:
3dspiderman3dctitlefron.jpg

but honestly, I don't like this better.

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh yeah, I see what you mean, I hadn't taken account of that light patch up in the top left corner. Allgoods, we can leave it as is, it looks amazing! Thanks!

Have you watched the film yet, or are you leaving it for a bit?

Ziz

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So when will this be up on the main site and FE.info?

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's up now.

Boon, Just noticed an error on the cover artwork which is actually my own fault - the blurb still reads "Spider-Man 3.1". Do you think you could change that to "Spider-Man 3"? 3.1 was my old title for this.

Thanks.

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I may actually end up releasing a version 2 after all; I reviewed some of eldiablosuizo's issues with the edit, and I agreed with two of them. The hard audio cut right before Peter goes to ask Harry for help has been smoothed out, and the vibrating desk scene has been truncated so that there is only one big BUZZ to Jameson; I had to leave this in because of the flow of the scene. Before Brock sneaks into Jameson's office, Betty mentions to Jameson about his blood pressure. This line can't be removed for shot structuring reasons, and so I have to introduce the point about Jameson having blood pressure issues.

The scene now plays out with Hoffman introducing his marketing campaign, and Betty buzzing Jameson once. Jameson then tells him to continue. After this, we cut straight to Brock flirting with Betty. The campaign itself is left out.

Sound good?

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like an interesting edit. I guess I'll wait for a DVD of version 2 :) .

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well the DVD will probably take a long time :p Exams are coming up soon, I'll have to pull my head in, so it could be a good two or three months before I'm fully able to focus my attention on the next stages.

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Joelio said:
The scene now plays out with Hoffman introducing his marketing campaign, and Betty buzzing Jameson once. Jameson then tells him to continue. After this, we cut straight to Brock flirting with Betty. The campaign itself is left out.

Sound good?

Sounds better, but would it be possible to post a preview?

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldiablosuizo said:
Joelio said:

Sound good?

Sounds better, but would it be possible to post a preview?

Sure, here you go:

I'm not actually too sure if I like how it works or not, so I'll leave it up to you guys to decide whether or not I change it.

I dunno how soon you'll see this, but if it's within the next hour of me posting this then it'll still be processing, so it won't be available for about an hour.

Re the Harry fight, I'm just gonna leave it as is. I've grown accustomed to it, I think it fits in, and I like the way I've done it; it starts off kinda slow and quiet, then as the fight escalates and Peter gets more and more aggressive, the music starts to get louder and faster. It kinda emphasises exactly when he starts to slip into the dark side. Plus, you said that it didn't sound all that much like Spidey music, but then again neither did the original :p

As seen here:
[youtube:1kih6ufw]

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I'm currently exporting the second release of this one.

The only new changes are the Jameson scene, as above, and the audio cut that eldiablosuizo pointed out in his review; while I had tried to make that fade work as well as possible, I saw what he was talking about, and went in and changed it. Now it plays out that we catch a bit of the news report just before Harry turns the TV off. This way, we also see that he knows what's going on, as in my initial version the TV was never on in the first place.

The runtime is now 121 minutes; I dunno if we wanna change that on the cover art, or if we'll just leave it as is, but it's up to Boon I guess.

I'll send him the links when I've uploaded them.

Top Bottom