• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spider-Man 3 Continuity Cut

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Here is my changelist for my Spider-Man 3 edit. I felt the movie had some continuity errors when watching them back to back with part one and two (uncle ben's new killer lol) so I set out to make a version that feels more in line with those movies.

disclaimer: This is still a sam raimi movie. It has camp in it. It's a superhero movie. I like Sam Raimi camp. If you dont like any camp at all this edit is not for you lol.

EDIT: V2 is now available with slight tweaks

- Movie length cut from 2hrs 19mins to 1:58:47.
- Only seamless cuts. Show this to someone who hasn't seen the original and they won't be able to tell it isn't the original movie. ( I think )
- Removed the entire early Harry/Peter fight. I feel the original fight scene drags on and has very dated CGI. Although some shots were great in this sequence the pacing is the most important thing. There are also like 6 fight scenes in this movie so cutting this loses absolutely nothing of importance, because in my cut Harry is far more cunning and attacks Peter's heart from moment one.
- Peter now gets a call from the hospital to inform him of Harry's off-screen accident. This works great. All hail AI generated audio!
- M.J Breaks up with Peter voluntarily after the kiss, the breakup, losing her job and the general shitty behaviour or Peter.
- Harry does not force her in any way.
- Reduced the parts I found too campy, like when Betty tells Peter his shots are so good and he would love to shoot her sometime.
- Every mention of Uncle Ben is removed
- The first half about the movie is about Peter's relationship with MJ as Spiderman. The second half is about his breakup and his coping with the black suit. This helps the pacing a LOT.
- Removed other lines I found a bit too lame, like the 'tell me you love me' and the 'I thought it was the sun' lines.
- Altered the dialogue with Peter and M.J. on the phone. The first one now refers to his messed up proposal night, the second one refers to the bar dance.
- Speaking of the bar dance, Peter now doesnt harass the first employee he sees and doesnt do crazy acrobatics.
- Sandman returns as a sandcastle for his daughter. Removed the scene where he reforms after going out of the drainpipe. It's an ugly scene imo and the sandcastle scene already tells you he survived.
- Removed Venom mentioning Sandman's daughter, because he cannot know this about Sandman. Also re-edited the entire scene to not show Sandman turning his back on Venom. Why would anyone do that lol. I also removed the 'looking for ya' line and have this just an accident. Sandman wanted to suprise Spider-Man after all.
- No tell me you love me line. No I thought it was the sun line. No JJ bargaining for a camera.
- Reinserted the aunt may scene from the theatrical about fixing the relationship. I think it's a touching scene
- Removed part of the final monologue at the funeral to be less on the nose and a drag
- Removed the line where the photographer says something about a copy machine
- Removed the 'I'll get the money line'. Flint Marco sounds far more determined when he tells his daughter he will cure her. Whatever it takes. He robs a bank next. The audience is smart enough to know what he means.
- Restructured the ending to not mention Uncle Ben. Also edited out a shot where Tobey Maguire stands REALLY strangely while sandman fades away.
- Removed the ball catching sequence because Peter isnt supposed to know harry has powers yet
- Removed the I fell in love with someone else line to really give MJ the feeling of not knowing what she wants with Peter
- Removed the worst cgi shots in the final fight if it didnt break continuity
- The newscaster doesnt mention sandman which means Peter and the audience dont know what hes getting himself into. Sandman is hiding in plain sight waiting for the right moment.
- Removed female reporter
-Moves the scene where Peter confront brock in the bugle to before the Harry penthouse fight. Now it actually makes sense for Harry to say; what took you so long? Like really, what took him so long in the original cut lol.
- Made the joke between J.J and the little girl selling the camera actually work by removing cringe and making it all about J.J.
- Completely redid the call peter gets from the Police and changed it to a hospital call notifying Peter of Harry being in an accident.
- No more monologue at the end.
- No mention of any murder Flint Marco did.
- Removed Gwen from the funeral at the end because why is she there lol.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is this complete or just a planned cultist? If the former, can you share some example clips?

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's complete. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not interested if MJ breaks with Peter 'voluntarily', no offence, edits like that are just b.s to me. She'd never do that no matter how bad things were. People miss the point of Peter and MJ whenever they do it in my opinion.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not interested if MJ breaks with Peter 'voluntarily', no offence, edits like that are just b.s to me. She'd never do that no matter how bad things were. People miss the point of Peter and MJ whenever they do it in my opinion.
I would agree if not for the fact that Peter also would never kiss another girl in FRONT of MJ. So the damage is done, the only thing you can do is try to at least have the story make sense.

It makes far more sense for M.J. to breakup after that kiss and that TERRIBLE proposal AND losing her job.

But to each his own. I suppose you never watch part 3 anyway considering almost none of it makes sense when compared to the comics lol.

Let's not forget M.J. also dumped Harry and the 'my son the Astronaut' guy. And they didnt do anything as bad as three did in part three lol.

Last edited:

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let's not forget M.J. also dumped Harry and the 'my son the Astronaut' guy. And they didnt do anything as bad as three did in part three lol.
That was when she was still struggling with her treatment from her father and thought she still needed to prove something to him.

Also, as one who read the comics, a good chunk of the film still makes sense lol. Sandman was a good take on the character (the Uncle Ben retcon does not, in fact, ruin the origin despite what some people shriek) and Venom was a good combo of the original and Ultimate versions. He was lame because......well Venom himself is lame lol.

Last edited:

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was when she was still struggling with her treatment from her father and thought she still needed to prove something to him.

Also, as one who read the comics, a good chunk of the film still makes sense lol. Sandman was a good take on the character (the Uncle Ben retcon does not, in fact, ruin the origin despite what some people shriek) and Venom was a good combo of the original and Ultimate versions. He was lame because......well Venom himself is lame lol.

You and I simply disagree, and that's ok. Its virtually impossible to make a spiderman 3 edit that pleases everyone. The uncle Ben retcon was horrible for me and makes me cringe each and every time. Removing it fixed sandman, he was done rather well besides that. ( a great side effect is that removing uncle ben plotline makes the black suit appear far more menacing and evil. On top of this it allows you to sympathize with sandman more easily when spiderman tried to kill him for apparently no real reason other than to test his new strength )

The breakup scene makes no sense in the original from any point of view. Harry threatens M.J., who's boyfriend is SPIDERMAN and she doesnt simply warn him and tell him to beat harry up?

Sorry but my edit makes her an actual thinking human being. My fiance who had never seen the original was litterally cheering when she dumped Peter for being such an asshole the entire movie and very confused when she saw the original cut afterwards. MJs crying also feels more genuine because it's hard to actually breakup with someone when you wish things worked out. In the original it's just.. why is she crying so much? Just say hey peter were going to pretend to breakup now. After this can you please whoop Harry's ass? šŸ˜†

It also improves Peter's arc because he fucked up and he needs to fix it. And it makes Harry far more manipulative and devious with him trying to actively seduce MJ and toying with her, using her as a tool to hurt Peter rather than saying: YOU WILL BREAK UP NOW.

Also regarding her father. MJ litterally says she can still hear her father talking when she reads the review about her performance. So she clearly is still dealing with her past. So by your own logic my decision actually makes sense with Peter treating her like trash the entire first half of the movie.

Last edited:

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to be a pain, as I know you've just marked this finished, but I find the audio edit at 1:03 to be pretty noticeable. Looking good otherwise though. Nice job on the voice change at 2:40!

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to be a pain, as I know you've just marked this finished, but I find the audio edit at 1:03 to be pretty noticeable. Looking good otherwise though. Nice job on the voice change at 2:40!
Yes that's the ONLY audio change I couldn't quite fix perfectly because of all the train sounds. This was the best way to do it and I tried quite a few things. I do not agree that's it's that noticable. It's acceptable imo.New viewers probably wouldn't pick it up. ( I think )

And yes the venom change is pretty big I'm very satisfied as a noob audio editor!

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well this isn't the full movie but yes it's less talky than the original.
Nah, what I meant in a tongue in cheek way was that unless my speakers are failing, the dialogue channel seems to be missing from the trailer.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nah, what I meant in a tongue in cheek way was that unless my speakers are failing, the dialogue channel seems to be missing from the trailer.

Not sure what you mean because I can hear the dialogue just fine?

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me, then? Can't hear it at all on my phone (no headphones), just the music and audio effecs. Guess it's malfunctioning, then...

It's just you šŸ˜­ Checked on 3 devices and all have audio.

Last edited:

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's odd that your phone would ditch the dialogue. i assume the video is stereo (vimeo doesn't support surround, to my knowledge) and your phone would be too (or mono possibly). The only way I can see the dialogue being absent is if it was all sent to the left or right channel and one of those is malfunctioning on your phone. But it sounds evenly panned in my headphones.

Top Bottom