• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spider-Man 3.1 - The Hybrid Cut

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
7aoEkHA.png

A quick pit stop on my way to make an extensive edit of Spider-Man 3. Using the Theatrical and Editor's Cut as well as some shots from various trailers to make the longest possible cut of Spider-Man 3.  The EC will be used as the base

- Added Bobson Dugnutt title card
- Cut shot of Sandman diving into the sandpit
- Added 2 new shots of Symbiote crawling up Peter's chest creating the new symbol
- Added a shot of Proto-Venom in Peter's reflection, scaring Peter 
- Reinstated Peter apologising to Mr Ditkovitch, removed from EC
- Added a short scene of Peter looking at the Black Suit case contemplatively from EC
- Reinstated TC version of Peter talking to Ursula, EC had an alt. version 
- Added scene of Peter getting the black suit out and smiling before getting Eddie fired
- Reinstated a shot of JJJ from TC and removed spinning newspaper
- Added scene of Black Suit Spider-Man swinging during the day
- Added scene of Peter putting the black suit in the case looking exhausted
- Moved Peter and Harry resturant scene to after Eddie gets fired
- Reinstated spinning newspaper about Eddie being fired
- Added Sandman turning himself into a sandcastle for his daughter
- Reinstated Aunt May talking to Peter 
- Added Harry looking at a photo of himself, Peter and MJ
- Reinstated scene of Bernard telling Harry about his father

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You have three ITW threads. Pending Approval counts.

To quote @"TVs Frink",
-Unapproved editors may have no more than two active ITW and/or Pending Approval threads

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:

To quote @"TVs Frink",
-Unapproved editors may have no more than two active ITW and/or Pending Approval threads

Ah yeah, whoops. Let me get that fixed

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the edit list.  I do recommend you try avoiding including double scenes (apologies or Harry’s decision to help MJ and Peter) since it could hurt the pace and the edit overall.  

Good luck on this one.  Looking forward to it.  The title card is very nice.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
I like the edit list.  I do recommend you try avoiding including double scenes (apologies or Harry’s decision to help MJ and Peter) since it could hurt the pace and the edit overall.  

Good luck on this one.  Looking forward to it.  The title card is very nice.

The alt. convo with Urzla from the EC was apologising about yelling at Mr Ditkovitch, so that's why the TC one was used. So no doubling up there. Harry's decision is somewhat stronger now and doesn't hurt the pace at all as far as I can tell in editing. 

Thanks for your enthusiasm, it makes my will to edit somewhat stronger

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wasn’t expecting a thread for Spider-Man 3.1, Bobson! Nice move! Have you considered doing a thread for Spider-Man: Web Shooter Edition? :D

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
theryaney said:

To quote @"TVs Frink",

@"theryaney" I know you're only trying to help, but please don't moderate the forum.

With that said, @"Bobson Dugnutt" I'm not sure what you mean by "let me get that fixed."  You still have two ITW plus your one in Pending.  Which do you want moved to inactive?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:
theryaney said:

To quote @"TVs Frink",

@"theryaney" I know you're only trying to help, but please don't moderate the forum.

With that said, @"Bobson Dugnutt" I'm not sure what you mean by "let me get that fixed."  You still have two ITW plus your one in Pending.  Which do you want moved to inactive?

When I said "let me get that fixed", I PMed you right after. Not sure if you got it or whatever, but its fine. Can you deactive my BTTF thread until I get my Winter Soldier edit approved? Thanks

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:

Alright. Just tried to help, and also I mentioned and quoted you.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
When I said "let me get that fixed", I PMed you right after. Not sure if you got it or whatever, but its fine. Can you deactive my BTTF thread until I get my Winter Soldier edit approved? Thanks

Whoops, forgot to do this.  Brb.

EDIT: Done.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:

Whoops, forgot to do this.  Brb.

EDIT: Done.

But I thought his WS edit is already approved?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was. That's why this project is in the Active ITW area.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, no, ryan is right and I screwed up.  I forgot he was now approved so he can have four active.  I'll move it back.

Sorry Bobson!

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Figured I should get back to working on this. Started and finished from scratch again and it's currently at 2.23.06 compared to the Theatrical 2.19.11 and the Editor's 2.17.48. 

Here are some updated clips as well to mark the occasion. 

Added shots of Symbiote crawling up Peter's chest
Added Peter seeing Proto-Venom in his reflection
Added back the spinning newspaper at the start of the James Brown montage

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First of all, I am extremely happy to hear some progress from this!  

Secondly, I like the three clips, but I think that some tweaking would be needed: 

• In the symbiote clip, the chest logo muting to black has seemingly unfinished CGI and I find it sort of distracting.  Overall, though, the clip works despite some fading levels of music; 

• the second clip works beautifully, even though I am never utterly convinced by the final seconds of Peter shouting and removing the symbiote.  Well done at reintroducing this clip in the edit.  It is needed.; 

• Finally, the third clip works well, and other than a slightiest jump appearing in between the newspaper shot and that of Peter eating cookies, which you should fix, you’re off to a wonderful start.  

I don’t remember how you are structuring the edit and wouldn’t know if placing the so-called “James Brown montage” elsewhere would be a good idea, since it MAY OR MAY NOT be offputting in the edit as a whole after Harry and Peter’s edit.

Well done.  Here’s to hoping this doesn’t end up being another unfinished “Spider-Man 3” edit.  Cheers, and good luck.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
In the symbiote clip, the chest logo muting to black has seemingly unfinished CGI and I find it sort of distracting.  Overall, though, the clip works despite some fading levels of music; 
It's from a trailer, so naturally its unfinished, but I can look past it, others maybe not so much. Also, what do you mean fading levels of music?

Canon Editor said:
The second clip works beautifully, even though I am never utterly convinced by the final seconds of Peter shouting and removing the symbiote.  Well done at reintroducing this clip in the edit.  It is needed.; 

It's a little cheesy, but it justifies Peter's sudden reluctance and phobia to put the suit back on. I like it a lot.

Canon Editor said:
Finally, the third clip works well, and other than a slightiest jump appearing in between the newspaper shot and that of Peter eating cookies, which you should fix, you’re off to a wonderful start.  

Is there? Other than the spinning newspaper at the start, nothing has been changed. It's been dropped in from the theatrical cut verbatum.

Canon Editor said:
I don’t remember how you are structuring the edit and wouldn’t know if placing the so-called “James Brown montage” elsewhere would be a good idea, since it MAY OR MAY NOT be offputting in the edit as a whole after Harry and Peter’s edit.

That's how it is in the Editor's Cut as it's original place after Eddie being fired has been filled with a new scene of Black Spidey swinging away from the Bugle. It does create a bit of a wierd shift as it seems he is celebrating that he might of killed his best friend instead of getting rid of his competition at work.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clips look good. Is the spinning newspaper there to mask Peters awful street strut? It's been so long since I've seen this.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Clips look good. Is the spinning newspaper there to mask Peters awful street strut? It's been so long since I've seen this.

In the theatrical cut, it was originally over J Jonah Jamison yelling at Eddie, but since the scenes have been shuffled around, the spinning newspaper is no longer in the Editor's Cut, so I put it back in.

moviefan95

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Canon Editor said:

That's how it is in the Editor's Cut as it's original place after Eddie being fired has been filled with a new scene of Black Spidey swinging away from the Bugle. It does create a bit of a wierd shift as it seems he is celebrating that he might of killed his best friend instead of getting rid of his competition at work.

For some reason I actually think that the way the Editor's Cut has the scene placed actually gives the montage a slightly darker feel than the original had. I always figured that this was supposed to be the symbiote making Peter be "evil and edgy," but that since Peter didn't actually fully understand the concept of that, he ended up acting like a dork.

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bet that you NOT are surprised that I am interested in this cut when you have it finished. LOL However, I do have one question...

In your release notes above, you state that you wanted "to make the longest possible cut of Spider-Man 3". With that being said, why did you remove the scene of Sandman diving into the sandpit? It obviously isn't a duplicate scene, so why remove it if you want it to be the longest cut (which I am with you, I want to see the longest possible cut).  Just curious.

Top Bottom