• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spicediver's DUNE gets a legit disc release in Germany?

Amok

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guys, briefly:
1. Yes, Koch contacted me last year and all is well.
2. Please, please, please keep discussion low key until the actual release in October. Happy to answer questions after that.
That is absolutely spectacular. I wonder though why they didn't commission you to redo the edit in 4k. They had all the 4k scans ready. Anyways, congratulations, I think you may be the first faneditor to get an official release!

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats! Your cut is seminal. I haven’t watched the original dvd since finding it. Thank you for making it. I only just watched it again last night.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy moly! This is tremendous news! I guess there's hope yet for the best and brightest of us 😜

It's past its release date now, isn't it? :cool: Can we get some more details already, @spicediver?

Thatstinkyguy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just heard the news. This is awesome! Congratulations, @spicediver! I can't wait to hear your story on how this all came to fruition.
By the way, I love your edit! It's one of my favorite sci-fi films of all time.

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm wondering, has anyone bought the set already and can comment on it?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. Amazing news! I came here today to speak to Spicediver about this V2 and V3 edits. Where can it be purchased (I'm in the UK)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My actual best guess is that it might have something to do with the release of the Villeneuve version in physical format (wild guess as I don't actually know when that's going to be released).

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That is absolutely spectacular. I wonder though why they didn't commission you to redo the edit in 4k. They had all the 4k scans ready. Anyways, congratulations, I think you may be the first faneditor to get an official release!
According to @ChainsawAsh , this is now the third. "There's Raising Cain, there's the Ulysses Cut of Waterworld, and now this."

Nonetheless, I'm still floored every time this happens! It's so rare, but to me it's the ultimate vindication of what fan editors do. I mean, it's also fine when it stays just a hobby, but rather than the studios fearing fan editors, I love it when they embrace the work and even make it offiical. @spicediver , hats off to you! Here's hoping for more progress like that in the world of fan editing!

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello friends,

Update for you: the Koch Films Ultimate Edition details have now been released, but the product release date is now Feb 2022, due to various production delays.

Link: DUNE - DER WÜSTENPLANET (ULTIMATE EDITION 7 DISC BOX)

Some pics:

DUNE-Beautyshot1.jpg

DUNE-Beautyshot2.jpg

DUNE-Beautyshot4.jpg

SPECS

My Redux cut is on Disc 6:

Extended Alternative Version - Spicediver Cut
Film length: approx. 179 minutes
Aspect ratio: 2.35: 1 (720p)
Language: English
Sound formats: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Subtitles: German, English

Some notes on the specs:
  • The source is my lossless 480p master. The modest 720p upscale for the Blu Ray was done only because myself and Koch agreed that the two alternatives weren't palatable. That is, converting the 480p master to 480i to meet the Blu Ray spec for SD footage, or authoring a DVD disc which would have meant converting my 23.976fps 480p source to 25fps PAL to meet the European DVD standard.
  • The DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 is based on my stereo PCM 2.0 source.
  • 179 minute length is slightly longer than my 178 minute file due to the various brand card/s and logo stuff that has to go up front.
THE HD THING

As most of you here would know, I have not redone or upscaled this fanedit to HD or 4k or UltimateSpiceVision or anything else. However I may revisit this project if the Extended TV version that's also in this Ultimate box set really *is* in 1080p as claimed, because that footage was previously only ever available in SD.

Actually….[rant alert]....the whole upscaling and HD obsession that some people have ticks me off. Upscaling is widely misunderstood, and random people - mostly on Youtube and Twitter - can be so demanding and entitled without knowing anything about this fanedit's production. "Where is the 4K upscale? Can I have it in HD? Where is the HD? Where is the 4K version? Gimmie, gimmie gimmie!" I simply don't respond to this stuff. They demand "HD" like a cokehead yelling for his next line of powder. It's become a buzzword without meaning. As far as upscaling goes, I'm happy for it to be left to people's players and screens. If people want to upscale my compressed MKV 480p release to 4K for Youtube - which somebody already has - what can I do? Nothing, so I ignore it.

PURCHASE

Any purchase questions should go straight to the Koch Shop. I do know the Ultimate Box is an online-only purchase for the European market. If you are from elsewhere then one of those freight-forwarding services in Germany may be your best bet. Or lean on your German friend. :)

BOX SET CONTENTS

This box has a load of new extras, including the new 90 minute documentary "The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune" which was dropped this year from the Arrow UK box release, apparently because they couldn't wait for the doco's completion. There's also the original Marvel Comics adaptation included.

FINAL THOUGHTS

So come February, more people will see or hear about this fandit and that makes me very happy.

And If I revisit the project, I'll start a new project thread here at FE org.

Last edited:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I live in Germany so I’ll definitely pick this up come February. Congratulations.

Last edited:

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today is a good day. Received my preview copy of the Dune Ultimate 7 disc box set from Koch Films Germany. Checked my disc and they have treated my fanedit transfer very respectfully. The set is a beautiful artifact - but of course, I'm biased.

Thanks to Michael H at Koch Films, and to Mark at Dune.info, and thanks again to all who orginally helped me make this edit - some are FE.org members, and some from elsewhere, some still with us, some long gone from the scene: 007one, Anti-Matter, Brumous, Captain Khajiit, Dune.info, Dwight Fry, Gatos, Geminigod, Ghouldetail, Herowoac, Juan-man, L8wrtr, Logan-5, maddog, Neglify, Nomarch, Quickcut, Ssj, ThrowgnCpr, Turnip5, Vflix.

O-JKL4A-kdE01ZJ6vGG8cJcKdvQqcqNdfwtBftBuAzPpdYkOPjyTJ_Tr9XhKZjFGZJio1VfJ3gpPHTJo7kBgUOnnmLEQdCFi6hJMj42tBqVEm6RqgNy7RrQopt4prvxl-aMvIoFkkOlFgegR8WpSt29k8XNfquhGYBh7kILjU-eCED5JEYmH7mHrxk6kxC6gTEPflsb3T6AbP6FxbXpTOgVxAI4kK5DAQYiVR82up9Nbbi_DcTXwv2TyYB9KQuEydnjUxZIIDOIpf6Bp_dho-Y9k9C5GQ4dl-XJL0OF45juurD9YJmZxPqBEuAx8e1oRi7DiwrJSJ-8x6HOytl5iTNzCznZb9BlbLg3dwA9TD7fz567dOq1jl9sCKM-ID9oX7UMpvSUPRIV-XRvojxWrytUP77oPDdyoH_zSYiRiiW3ei6q_4rqb6FajrmNjU6dBKMsqRmckXAvSG4JdoRASPIVpDVS40tqUd1nR3Z6C81uEPvO0wHcsgUBrMfrgV8KAU3yh_LV5CQhnboOyKjZltE2smlm_aXT-ZouruG2RkeNjDVVQ0TsrYY2tQSq-aL-LhrMqOyartmNcTZwsfG7nfr5umd8WCCjBnuznxq6QrC1C-RXJdqwR9--V8U15iVXqhy3ed3ThlKIVG4_mJ_UUZrSQjrPHfIhaqEN3bRdUEl0VP2dGWyxPDe5W97zBJdqQZDs-nds85MI3MhO6aOCMmgk=w672-h896-no

nlSnRNjmCMfhc_Y3wY5AmVhEu3W9Y-Ta-tq1r1D20eC6I7ZINZHuXJJVNU37stBb_51OYSQfYdtIN_jYkhmC05kAAO-hEq7lRDcxs7zIDO5ti5Up9C81rn1KJWFtoTraB3TyZwG9lxFTjrvanBze29uFL6hdE7banRFaBjRhUh82NZXOnWWxTb606BO0xWiEOTRvnrtPcYVX_5w6MXqe1VBIwBS_XN4ms-LrolB3tDf78VZNPB1orn4JjE-kAPX1yUeuJ1Mjalg6CZQiDPclQcQST1oJyHpw-ZDOi_qyQjcLQWrMwLOQjgxOnw9RY55WuWCMi-XeBP0FgJ64SEbe5dNcLJxQJG5KEv9WeiFpBs4H63syarkc3hka9Uyz0sONaX32xWBH23_zL-hz5mscEMM2YXkmDdYa_beJvqUJ3liHc6Nn8eGHHHirPCF0j3_IJ3Sp7IsWobVKxuHYLfCSJSBi3mtWGyL7XtDW-BTiF_BwQ88ke1YvIT6PdBU78YRZqStDib0rs23q-asKcIOpWX5R7Cxol4-Kw5sWb5bay7KTkwA9ZgEaTus0LTFz1etagapyg-71VeGgIaV_rTp52YtL4c8XVlpBU4Od7opUCeOyyQifi3M0DEA0HBxQVzPvBoLqu634IjbOMPfgsgzV8lGtF_8eEiNBqq8RqZYloGkOesoNQ1m7OS4EpjuVnAuH6CBLJ3y_cxNJEi37uy0s-no=w1450-h541-no

Last edited:

tmihai20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, this pretty awesome. I will ask someone that lives in Germany to pick up a copy for me. Congrats on such a great achievement. I love the original, but I really want to see how you improved it.

Top Bottom