• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spicediver's DUNE gets a legit disc release in Germany?

Congratulations @spicediver , it must feel great to see "spicediver" printed on an official boxset.

The posters look good. Are they gloss? The ones with the Arrow boxset were a kind of dull matt effect. Is it in a clear case or something? The soundtrack CD appears to just be the old basic soundtrack, with soundFX and dialogue mixed over the music. Is that the case?

FYI: The UK doesn't seem to be an option on the Koch order system which is a shame (most other European countries look to be okay)... although that does prevent me from spending another £100 on yet another copy of Dune and it's soundtrack, which is probably for the best ;) .

I notice there is a guy selling them through ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384232027720?hash=item5976037648:g:BuQAAOSwokphZmuR

with a hefty markup. He's already sold 60 of 62 copies he had which should make him a £5K profit by my calculation.

Last edited:
Congratulations @spicediver , it must feel great to see "spicediver" printed on an official boxset.

The posters look good. Are they gloss? The ones with the Arrow boxset were a kind of dull matt effect. Is it in a clear case or something? The soundtrack CD appears to just be the old basic soundtrack, with soundFX and dialogue mixed over the music. Is that the case?
Yes posters are gloss. Case is clear perspex, with front sliding up. Soundtrack is the standard one, I assume a license is too hard to aquire for the extended verson of the soundtrack.

And now the big question, @spicediver : is the TV cut in proper HD, so we can keep up our hopes of you doing an updated version of the edit?

Yes it is! I'm about to announce the 10th Anniversay 1080p Edition. :)

Is it genuine HD, or just very, very good upscaled HD like in this 2014 German blu-ray I'm referring to here : https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/dune-theatrical-deluxe.18177/post-341622

EDIT: Here is a comparison of two screenshots from the older transfer (upscaled TV footage top, theatrical HD bottom):

51863561291_90696a6edf_k.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hello all, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am also very interested in this question, whether there is any significant difference in quality between the 2014 SchröderMedia release of the Extended TV cut, and the version that’s included with the Koch Ultimate Edition. It’s much easier and cheaper to find the 2014 version now that the Koch set is sold out!

Congratulations again to @spicediver for getting your cut included in the Koch release, that’s quite an honor and a testament to the quality of your work!

Last edited:
Hello all, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am also very interested in this question, whether there is any significant difference in quality between the 2014 SchröderMedia release of the Extended TV cut, and the version that’s included with the Koch Ultimate Edition. It’s much easier and cheaper to find the 2014 version now that the Koch set is sold out!

Congratulations again to @spicediver for getting your cut included in the Koch release, that’s quite an honor and a testament to the quality of your work!
Hi Stanice, the Koch release of the TV edition is a 1080p source, no question. I worked with that footage extensively in my recent Special 1080p Edition. The extended footage is not *quite* as sharp as the theatrical footage because all the added footage was bizarrely zoomed-in slightly and then re-cropped with the normal letterboxing at top and bottom. That goes back to the original source that MCA Universal's TV division cobbled together in 1988 - so it cannot be fixed.

I have not seen the 2014 Schröder Media release but have heard from multiple sources that it is an upscale, passed off as 1080p. The Koch Ultimate Edition is the first time that the extended TV edition has been given an actual 1080p transfer. And it will be the last - a few years ago, Lynch asked Universal to stop re-releasing that cut of Dune and I believe the other rights holders - those outside the USA - will also honour the request.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! I went ahead and bit the bullet on a Koch Ultimate Edition.

I recently found this DuneNewsNet.com interview with Mark of DuneInfo.com, he says of the Koch theatrical version: "The new transfer is from the original film negative which they thought was located in Rome. Technicolor Italy had gone bankrupt and the negative had been transferred to Los Angeles. They were finally able to locate it there. The original negative was not spliced together. All the segments had to be ordered, scanned, and digitally edited together and any of the fades or transitions had to be redone."

Sounds like the Koch remaster was even more involved than I realized!

And this reference to an un-spliced original negative makes me so curious... the never-released scenes Lynch filmed must also exist in that Los Angeles archive... from Herbert's "partial list":
  • The confrontation between Stilgar (Everett McGill) and Duke Leto (Jurgen Prochnow) where Stilgar spits on the table - the gift of his water.
  • Development of the relationship between Shadout Mapes (Linda Hunt) and Jessica (Francesca Annis).
  • Most of the love story between Paul Maud'dib (Kyle MacLachlan) and Chani (Sean Young).
  • Development of Kynes (Max Von Sydow) as the Imperial Planetologist and (most vital) the place of mélange in a space-faring society.
  • The relationship between Paul and his mentors: Duncan Idaho (Richard Jordan); Thufir Hawat (Freddie Jones); Gurney Halleck (Patrick Stewart), and Dr. Yueh (Dean Stockwell)
  • The relationship between Paul and the Fremen widow, Harah (Molly Wryn).
  • Scenes with Jessica and The Reverend Mother Mohiam (Sian Phillips) that would have made the Bene Gesserit sisterhood more understandable.
(found in Frank Herbert’s intro to his 1985 book "Eye" - sample on Amazon)

Last edited:
Interesting. I'd be curious to see a screengrab of the same frame I captured of the Emperor (see above) but from the Koch Ultimate Edition. Maybe my copy isn't a very good upscale (as I believed), maybe it's also a genuine 1080p transfer but of a lower quality to the theatrical movie footage? If the Ultimate Edition copy is better, I'd like to know, so I can decide if I need to invest in one.

My Ultimate Edition finally arrived today! No damage thanks to the repacking services of MailboxDE.com parcel forwarding, highly recommended.

First impression is the Extended TV cut looks good, but not as good as the theatrical footage. My guess would be that they added a fine film grain over the TV cut's added shots to make it feel more coherent with the theatrical footage, and increase the perceived sharpness. It does not have the picture-in-picture error in the first scene with Paul Atreides like I believe the Schroeder version does. (I don't have a Schroeder disk but I have seen torrented versions.) I see another minor difference in that scene, the Schroeder version I believe tries to correct the aspect ratio of the planets on the filmbook so they look round instead of squished (stretching out the text "SPICE MINING" on the shot of Arrakis) but the Koch version leaves the planets squished as in the theatrical cut. I haven't watched it all the way through yet, I'm sure there probably are other minor differences.

This and all the non-4K discs in the set are locked to Region B, but on my Region A Panasonic DP-UB420 player I was able to play it fine with the Stop, Top Menu trick.

Shots from added scenes in Extended TV cut, captured with VLC:
ibb.co/3zwh2SF
ibb.co/Xp782sz

Theatrical shot from Koch Extended TV cut:
ibb.co/8X126Wp

(not allowed to post links to images as a new user, apparently! feel free to reply with the images shown in a post if you want.)
edit: fixed ImgBB links, added Imgur embeds since those are allowed.

Last edited:
The shots do look more consistent in quality in stanice's screenshots, and the deleted stuff looks like it still has its grain?

Hi Stanice, the Koch release of the TV edition is a 1080p source, no question. I worked with that footage extensively in my recent Special 1080p Edition. The extended footage is not *quite* as sharp as the theatrical footage because all the added footage was bizarrely zoomed-in slightly and then re-cropped with the normal letterboxing at top and bottom. That goes back to the original source that MCA Universal's TV division cobbled together in 1988 - so it cannot be fixed.

I have not seen the 2014 Schröder Media release but have heard from multiple sources that it is an upscale, passed off as 1080p. The Koch Ultimate Edition is the first time that the extended TV edition has been given an actual 1080p transfer. And it will be the last - a few years ago, Lynch asked Universal to stop re-releasing that cut of Dune and I believe the other rights holders - those outside the USA - will also honour the request.
Spicediver, now that you've done your Special 1080 Edition, do you think it might end up on a future Blu Ray edition from Koch? Have you talked to them about it?

Guys, briefly:
1. Yes, Koch contacted me last year and all is well.
2. Please, please, please keep discussion low key until the actual release in October. Happy to answer questions after that.

@spicediver thank you for inspiring me to become a faneditor. I didn't even know this was a thing until I found your Dune edit and then later The White Dragon cut of Blade Runner. Thank you for fueling my imagination!

I just read this forum post, out of curiosity was the Spicediver cut ever released onto U.S prints of the film? Like the Arrow Video Edition?

I just read this forum post, out of curiosity was the Spicediver cut ever released onto U.S prints of the film? Like the Arrow Video Edition?
No. It remains Europe only, as the European rights holders Lionsgate consented for Koch/Plain Films to include it as an extra in the Ultimate Edition box set. This is not going to happen in the UK or North America.

No. It remains Europe only, as the European rights holders Lionsgate consented for Koch/Plain Films to include it as an extra in the Ultimate Edition box set. This is not going to happen in the UK or North America.
I hope this changes with the 40th anniversary theatrical release

Back
Top Bottom