• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Space Consecution

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am going to post my thoughts a few shorts at a time, as I may only have time to watch a few at a time. Once I've watched it all I'll combine posts onto FE.org.

Wall-E Fantasy by TMBTM: I liked this quite a bit. I really enjoyed the original Wall-E until he got off the planet, so for me the ending actually worked very well. And the opening text was helpful in appreciating the ending. The mixing of the two sources was done very well. My only disappointment was the lack of 5.1, something that really would have put this over the top for me. By the way, I also thought for a moment that Wall-E was running away, rather than chasing after the humans, but overall it still worked fine for me. 9/10

Alien Elements by ThrowgnCpr: I was lukewarm on this one, but only because I'm not an AvP fan so it's not my cup of tea. Certainly not Throw's fault. I liked the atmosphere in this, and the 5.1 really helped sell the atmosphere. I thought the mixing of The Fifth Element with the Predator worked reasonably well, and it was very clear to me that the AvP scenes were supposed to be in the same location as the previous Fifth Element scene. I also noticed one flash frame (if that's the right term) right near the end as the ship was leaving the planet - there was an extremely quick shot of the woman survivor, which was so fast I had to rewind to see if I had just imagined it. 6/10, although I have deducted a few points for my lack of interest in AvP. Otherwise I'd probably give it 8/10.

Quick note on the DVD - So far through these two shorts I have yet to notice any audio or video issues. The DVD is well done, including a really nice Alien intro/theme, Consecution Trailers, and info about each editor. Too bad Adabisi didn't get an avatar ;)

EDIT: Continuing with a few more reviews...

Humans are Limited by Adabisi: I thought this was very cool. Basically a short story about Hal vs. the Humans. When I got to the end, my first thought was that the short couldn't possibly be over. But after thinking about it for a moment, I loved the alternate direction it took. Well done. 9/10

Star Wars Episode 2.1 by Gaith: I think this was based on the EP 1 deleted scenes doc, but applying it to The Phantom Editor's EP 2 instead. I liked the bits from the doc, with talking heads discussing how hard it is to cut and then showing clips that are in the theatrical, but presumably gone from The Phantom Editor's edit. However, that part felt too short to me, and I really didn't want to watch the Asteroid Chase scene, even if it made sense in context of The Phantom Editor's edit. I think the idea was interesting but would have liked something different in execution - perhaps just more talking head clips intercut with the worst bits of the movie, rather than making it about The Phantom Editor. Also, the Asteroid Chase scene had a few random B&W bits I was confused by. Usually color vs. B&W is used to indicate deleted material vs. non-deleted, so I assume that's what was being done there. 4/10

EDIT: Continuing with the last reviews...

Clone Wars - Aggressive Negotiations by Uncanny Antman: Pretty good stuff here. Embiggens, indeed :) A nice action packed piece that kept me engaged. The sound was a 5.1 upmix , so if you're using a 5.1 system, make sure to adjust your levels accordingly. 8/10

Mayflower Madness by M77: Loved this! A nice change of pace to throw some comedy in the mix. Although a few jokes fall flat, I really enjoy this type and period of comedy (original Airplane, Police Squad / Naked gun, etc.). Ending was perfect. And out of eight shorts, we get two with HAL and one with ROC! 9/10

Humans Are Limitless by Blueyoda: I don't think I'm the audience for this. The opening narration was fine. I didn't mind the idea of the rock video (even thought I don't like the song, it didn't bother me) except for one thing - seeing the band was a big minus for me. Replacing the band with more clips would have worked much better, as the band just dragged me out of this. I felt the rest of the music worked really well. The idea of combining Megatron and Hal was cool, but no one reacts to Megatron, and the interviewer continues to refer to him as Hal. It just was too jarring. The end bit with the BY logo also dragged me out of the film. I wanted to like this but just ended up frustrated. 4/10

Klone by Elbarto1: Nice work here. I always liked the Clooney version of Solaris and this was really enjoyable to watch and listen too (liked the music quite a bit). Another 5.1 upmix here, but I just made another levels adjustment and it worked fine. 9/10

Overall - 8/10. I actually liked this better than the Batman Consecution, mainly due to the source material. Except for a few misfires, I thought this was a really successful project. Thanks to all :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you jamiemark. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed klone as well as the rest of the project.
I find it interesting that you liked klone more than solaris. I guess its "different strokes..." as solaris is one of my all time favorite films.
cheers!

M77

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazed mine is even on there, thanks blueyoda, working on more stuff but trying to take my time now and get things right before uploading ;)

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
M77 said:
working on more stuff but trying to take my time now and get things right before uploading ;)

Music to my ears.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bump - added my last four reviews.

Also:
Adabisi said:
Klone
Very well done. Nice condensed version of Solaris. Loved the ending. Unfortunately, more motion blur in the video and dialogue coming from all 5 channels instead of being isolated to the centre. 8/10, but easily a 10/10 without the technical issues.
Both Klone and Clone Wars have upmixed 5.1 - the dialogue in all 5 channels is a well known issue with this style of audio track. I find that if you play with your center and rear speaker volumes, you can find a combination that minimizes the dialogue while leaving you some surround sound activity. This assumes it's a good upmix, of course. With Clone Wars I found that having the surrounds just a bit lower than the center worked pretty well. For Klone I had to go with a lot lower surround level compared to center channel, and unfortunately the rear dialogue was still slightly noticeable. However, in the end both mixes worked fine for me.

Incidentally, I though I saw a bit of motion blur on Klone as well. It was the only short I noticed it on, and it wasn't really too bad, but I think I saw it a little. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the short, however.

Oops, forgot to add this note for the Mayflower short:
9/10 - loses a point for a lack of Shatner :-(

Finally, boon, you'll be glad to know that my post to FE.org showed up correctly this time. Yay!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I liked the atmosphere in this, and the 5.1 really helped sell the atmosphere.

This edit was a real bitch, for sound-design. So much of it has new audio, and some completely built from scratch - score, foley, and all. I'm glad I'm finally starting to get 5.1 editing right....

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I find that if you play with your center and rear speaker volumes, you can find a combination that minimizes the dialogue while leaving you some surround sound activity. This assumes it's a good upmix, of course. With Clone Wars I found that having the surrounds just a bit lower than the center worked pretty well. For Klone I had to go with a lot lower surround level compared to center channel, and unfortunately the rear dialogue was still slightly noticeable. However, in the end both mixes worked fine for me.
Well, that's the problem. Sure, you can play with the levels on your receiver to get it to sound somewhat proper, but you shouldn't have to.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
Well, that's the problem. Sure, you can play with the levels on your receiver to get it to sound somewhat proper, but you shouldn't have to.
Of course true 5.1 is best. But given a choice between 2.0 and a 5.1 upmix, I'll take the upmix. And if you can't get it to sound good, you can always force your receiver to 2.0.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Adabisi said:
Of course true 5.1 is best. But given a choice between 2.0 and a 5.1 upmix, I'll take the upmix. And if you can't get it to sound good, you can always force your receiver to 2.0.
Well, there's a big difference between between taking a 2.0 source and faking it to 5.1 yourself through Dolby PLII or some other setting on your receiver (which will properly process the source through the channels) and receiving a source that is already 5.1 and not mixed properly. The only way to fix that is to force it to 2.0 yourself which defeats the whole purpose of 5.1 sound.

I'd much rather have a 2.0 mix that I can upmix myself with one press of a button (or just enjoy it in it's originally intended 2.0 state) than an improperly done 5.1 mix that has to be forced into 2.0 so that the voices of the people on the screen in front of me are coming from the speaker in front of me.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Space Consecution Fanedit DVD5 has been uploaded to Usenet.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Humans Are Limited available for streaming.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I realized that my short wasn't online anymore. Here it is:

Looking back, this isn't all that great. I was still getting comfortable with much of Vegas, and the time crunch really pushed this edit out the door before I had a better chance to flesh it out. Oh well. Maybe someday I'll revisit the idea...

maddogmovies

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now that rapidshare and megaupload are no more, is there any chance of putting this up as a torrent?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"maddogmovies" If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Top Bottom