• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Source files audio does not match

gracie1979

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi,

Forgive me guys if this has already been brought up. I'm a complete newb and just recently started trying to do some editing. I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12 and ripped the sources to MPG files with the audio in tact. The problem is the audio does not match from source to source. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize guys. I have tried to search this issue out but maybe I'm overlooking it or not getting the keywords exactly right. I am really new at this and I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible with some of the sticky threads but it's a very slow process. My OS is a 32bit HP G60 Notebook/ Processor: AMD Sempron SI-40 2.00 GHz / Windows Vista Edition. I decided to try out my new software (Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12) and do some small editing, so I looked up Boons guide and started out by trying to rip the dvd's with DVDFab. I had kept getting error messages with the latest update of this software for some reason, so I tried an earlier version which gave me a watermark on the video. I didn't like that, so I already had Axara on my machine, so I ripped it with that software to an AVI file. I found out by saving it as an AVI file that it didn't load the audio for some reason (which I later saw someone else with the same issue on another thread). I ripped them once again as an MPEG 2 file and then it worked, I had the audio as well. These MPEG 2 files are the ones I had been working off of. I didn't want to start out ripping the audio separately at first because I was just starting out and I was worried about synching issues. So, this is where I'm at now. WyndorfDave, the Fps on the software is set at 29.970.
Any help would greatly appreciated, thanks again guys!

I'm still unsure of the problem. Are you using multiple audio sources?

Are you getting a successful rip?
There are alternatives to DVDFab as far as getting nice VOB files, but I'll let experienced editors weigh in there.

Will ripping to avi or mp4 or mkv deteriorate the overall quality?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Frink! I had ripped Superman II theatrical and Donner cuts to MPEG 2 files with audio in tact. I used both of those source files to do some real basic editing to play around with the software and get used to working with it and such. I kept all of the audio on one line on the timeline. When I got done editing with those 2 files, I played the video back and what I noticed was that the audio was noticeably louder when it would switch from the Donner cut to the theatrical cut. I'm very very new, so I'm sure it's something that I have not done to eliminate this issue. Thank you!

Hi Vultural,

I did manage to get successful rips with Axara software, but I had to rip to an MPEG2 file so that the audio would be there when I would import the media into Sony Movie Studio. It would not work for me when I ripped to an AVI file.

You can change the volume of an individual track by grabbing the top of the track and pulling it down. As you do so, you'll pull down a blue line that represents how far you are reducing the volume.

Also, the waveform will decrease as you reduce the volume, so you can visually match audio levels by matching waveform heights. But that's just a starting point, you should always listen and tweak the height until it sounds matched.

74mo.png

Also, make sure that whatever ripping software you use doesn't do any conversion so you don't have any quality drop. Using DVDFab is highly recommended, then you can convert the vob files to lossless avi per Boon's guide.

What kind of errors did you get when you tried using DVDFab?

Thank you Frink! Okay, I'm going to try this again, DVDFab seems to be working now for some reason. I couldn't tell you why it didn't work before, but it's now working so I'm going to restart my processes once again. Thanks again guys!

Back
Top Bottom