• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Source Code: Version 1.2

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I decided to go ahead and tweak the flashes since it wasn't as awkward as I anticipated. Here's an example (the train explosion was also edited to remove some naff cg shots of the train):
This one was impossible to edit, so I just cut the flash out completely. Incidentally, I think it works better this way, but it would be good to know your thoughts:
FYI, this plays out of sync for me on some devices, but is fine on desktop. Not sure why. 

These clips are also rendered and compressed as the final film will be (except with a lower audio bitrate) so let me know if you have issues with the visual quality. Frankly, while editing and comparing back and forth I've been quite shocked at how naff the source DVD looks. Can't wait to be working with blu-ray.

BTW, can someone tell me whether I need to have anamorphic on auto/loose/off for handbrake compression? Personally, I find it hard to differentiate when I render...

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The sound of the crash seems to dull a little abruptly on the first clip when the screen goes black imo. It feels shortened.. probably wouldnt be so noticeable without the couple of secs of black screen but i know that kinda needs to be there too. 

Hanbrake I tend to use loose as I normally downscale 1080p to 720p to keep me file sizes reasonable. Auto should be fine if you are using dvd though and a sample render looks fine.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
The sound of the crash seems to dull a little abruptly on the first clip when the screen goes black imo. It feels shortened.. probably wouldnt be so noticeable without the couple of secs of black screen but i know that kinda needs to be there too. 

That part of the clip hasn't been touched. It's just as it is in the original film, so not sure what I can do about that. 

In terms of it feeling shortened - is it an editing issue or a length issue?

Hanbrake I tend to use loose as I normally downscale 1080p to 720p to keep me file sizes reasonable. Auto should be fine if you are using dvd though and a sample render looks fine.

Thanks. The sample renders were with anamorphic off, bit I'll give auto a whirl.

Edit: For your reference, I shared the original clip earlier in the thread:

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=16233&pid=300415#pid300415

I can restore it if people dislike the change. Personally I thought the extra shots looked a bit poor.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As an experiment  is it worth taking out the couple of seconds of blackness. I realise you would need to do that with all the reboots then though. see if it smooths thing out a bit given you are editing bits from the crash and taking the silver monument out

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
As an experiment  is it worth taking out the couple of seconds of blackness. I realise you would need to do that with all the reboots then though. see if it smooths thing out a bit given you are editing bits from the crash and taking the silver monument out

I'm not keen to, tbh. Just because I feel those seconds of blackness give the audience needed breathing space before throwing them into the rest of the film. Also, I shortened the blackness in another clip and removed it when he's hit by the train. I think some variation is good.

In regards to the flash, do you think that flows or is it noticeable that the monument is removed?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The flash looks fine to me, can't see any issue with that.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool. Had a check through the whole edit again and things are fine to my eyes and ears. As I said, not sure what to do with the abrupt train crash audio as that's how it is in the original - however, I have tweaked it a little bit with your comment in mind. I'm going to have a go at compressing with meGUI, just for comparison, and then I'll upload. I'll post here when it's up and update the cut list accordingly.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
As I said, not sure what to do with the abrupt train crash audio as that's how it is in the original - however, I have tweaked it a little bit with your comment in mind.

It's not jarring at all, just seemed to drop out sooner than expected, if its like that in the film I don't think its really an issue.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Both look and sound good to me, on my phone.

Thanks for setting the example of holding off a submit until you've gotten your edit exactly how you want it, and looking for constant feedback to ensure your edit is the best it can be.

You rock!
(Actual footage of @"The Scribbling Man" editing)
1wjuqkb.gif

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched that first clip again on my pc with some decent speakers,  couldn't hear that metallic rumble as the sound drops before on my phone. Have you tweaked the clip as it sounds fine now I'm hearing it with proper speakers.

EDIT just had a look at original version yeah I couldn't hear that rumble on my phone thought it went completely silent. it sounds fine

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, cool. 

It was just a minor tweak. Nothing I should need to reverse. Thanks for double checking.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for the delay, guys. Edit is now up and form submitted. Details post has been updated:

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=16233&pid=300329#pid300329

It took a lot longer than I was expecting (I set out foolishly thinking it would be a quick job), but it's been a good learning process. Thanks again to those who've provided help and encouragement. It's a great community we have here.  :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations Scribb! I've updated your OP to include the content of your linked post and moved this thread to Fixes, Mixes & TV.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Picked this up on blu-ray for £1 today, so I may well put together an HD version once I've got the equipment.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this on amazon yesterday and was tempted myself. Good price for a blu ray writer i thought

Blu ray writer

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Saw this on amazon yesterday and was tempted myself. Good price for a blu ray writer i thought

Blu ray writer

Just had a look at this. A good price, but it's internal whereas I'm looking for an external. Thanks, though!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Almost done with the HD version.

Rescoring is hell. 

Given that it's been done from scratch and is therefore going to differ slightly from the first version, should I give it a separate IFDB release? Is that what's done? Or should I just edit the current IFDB info?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched through the HD version and I'm very happy with it. Watched with someone as well so I could get an extra perspective. 

Interestingly, we both picked up on something that I hadn't seen the trillion times I watched through the DVD version. The jokey scene where Colter says to Christine that he's having vivid dreams of her. For some reason I hadn't picked up that this was clearly a nod to his now removed "future visions". Therefore, I'm going to have to go back in and remove that bit of dialogue. 

The joys of editing!

It's coming soon, I assure you.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So this is the original clip that I feel needs tweaking:

It clearly is alluding to the future visions he has (don't know why I didn't see it before), and therefore needs to go. It's probably quite a minor thing and could be assumed that he is simply talking about his experience in the source code, but I'm a pernickety son of a pickle, so now I've noticed it I'm not gonna be able to live with myself until it's slickly removed.

Here is version 1 of me trying to remove it:

The tricky part is his "why did I say something so stupid?" face he makes after she leaves. It may be okay, but I also wonder if his look is a bit of a weird one to make since she's just offered to get him coffee.

Therefore, here's version 2:

The issue here is that very little time passes between her turning around and the door opening for her in the background.

Do either of these work for people? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

The edited clips are also reflection of the final quality, so let me know if there's an issue.

Top Bottom