• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Source Code: Version 1.2

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Title wise, I may just go with something simple like "Source Code: Version 2.0" (similar to what Sinbad suggested). Given the poignancy of the new ending, I'd prefer the title not to be too tongue-in-cheek.
That was gonna be my initial suggestion I went for 1.1 as (I thought) 2.0 sounded a bit like a sequel

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
The Scribbling Man said:
Title wise, I may just go with something simple like "Source Code: Version 2.0" (similar to what Sinbad suggested). Given the poignancy of the new ending, I'd prefer the title not to be too tongue-in-cheek.
That was gonna be my initial suggestion I went for 1.1 as (I thought) 2.0 sounded a bit like a sequel

Good point. I'll sit on that title for a bit and see what I think.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
what filters are you using for color correction? can you share a screenshot of your effects chain on the video?

I'm using Boris FX. There's not much of a chain to show as I'm literally just using "BCC Color Correction". It's a very light tampering, so not essential, but I'll probably want to make more use of it in future edits

Googling around, apparently some versions of Boris have thier own option for enabling GPU during rendering, in which case turning that off would likely fix the problem. I can't for the life of me work out how to access plug-in preferences though.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, that explains it.

Third party plugins can sometimes cause issues, especially if it is a resource intensive application and you're using a less than stellar PC. It is quite possible to get the color change you need using the built-in fx. If you share a before screenshot, and a screenshot of what you are trying to match it to, I can help suggest which built-in FX and settings can get the job done.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Ah, that explains it.

Third party plugins can sometimes cause issues, especially if it is a resource intensive application and you're using a less than stellar PC. It is quite possible to get the color change you need using the built-in fx. If you share a before screenshot, and a screenshot of what you are trying to match it to, I can help suggest which built-in FX and settings can get the job done.

Thanks. That'd be a big help. I'm very new to colour correcting, so I don't fully know what I'm doing really. Just experimenting and tweaking till I think it looks right. Looking back at it now, I'm not really sure that I was on the right track,  so maybe I should just start from scratch... 

Here's some examples from the original film:

Screenshot_2018_01_04_17_56_26.png

Screenshot_2018_01_04_17_58_09.png

Screenshot_2018_01_04_18_01_33.png

Screenshot_2018_01_04_17_58_34.png

Personally, I just feel that the image is too dark and the oranges and blues are too dominant. Would be good to hear other opinions though.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To clarify: you are trying to re-grade the entire film, not match the alternate footage to the film?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
To clarify: you are trying to re-grade the entire film, not match the alternate footage to the film?

That's correct. The only footage I'm using is from the film. The PAL DVD main title is my only visual source.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great. That helps tremendously.

I don't think this film is in bad shape as far as the color grade goes, so you only need to make very light adjustments. What I am proposing is basically the steps I would start with for every color alteration. My advice is always start small. 

Also, if I may, *pushes glasses up* - you are regrading the film, not correcting it :)

I always add:

color balance - small adjustments to the midtones
color balance (yes, a second instance of this filter) - small adjustments to the highlights
levels - small adjustments to gamma and levels

That's all you need for this. And the adjustments I propose are small enough that you can probably get away with doing a single movie-wide color treatment. You may need to make a few small adjustments here and there, but I don't think you need a heavy re-grade of every shot.

Here are screenshots of the settings:

VkRgrNJ.jpg

qxeo1pU.jpg

Gxr4BpD.jpg

and the results:

PLWArX4l.jpg

C5g4a2Gl.jpg

K5udSCfl.jpg

Mr3M5aIl.jpg

and for direct comparison, here is a screenshotcomparison.com view of that first image: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/128027

NOTE: Since you are editing the color, and there are small black bars on the image to get it to the final scope, I would crop your video track to remove the black bars burned into the image. That way, your small black bars will be truly black upon render.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Great. That helps tremendously.

I don't think this film is in bad shape as far as the color grade goes, so you only need to make very light adjustments. What I am proposing is basically the steps I would start with for every color alteration. My advice is always start small. 

Also, if I may, *pushes glasses up* - you are regrading the film, not correcting it :)

I always add:

color balance - small adjustments to the midtones
color balance (yes, a second instance of this filter) - small adjustments to the highlights
levels - small adjustments to gamma and levels

That's all you need for this. And the adjustments I propose are small enough that you can probably get away with doing a single movie-wide color treatment. You may need to make a few small adjustments here and there, but I don't think you need a heavy re-grade of every shot.

Here are screenshots of the settings:

VkRgrNJ.jpg

qxeo1pU.jpg

Gxr4BpD.jpg

and the results:

PLWArX4l.jpg

C5g4a2Gl.jpg

K5udSCfl.jpg

Mr3M5aIl.jpg

and for direct comparison, here is a screenshotcomparison.com view of that first image: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/128027

NOTE: Since you are editing the color, and there are small black bars on the image to get it to the final scope, I would crop your video track to remove the black bars burned into the image. That way, your small black bars will be truly black upon render.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Throw. I really appreciate it. Had a go with your settings as a basis and only made some minor changes. Edit is now rendering - hopefully it wont crash now that I'm using the Vegas plugins!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
source_code_poster.jpg

File Size: 1.28 GB
Source: PAL DVD
Other Sources: Fanedit Templates, Source Code (Orig. Motion Picture ST)
Original Runtime: 89
Fanedit Runtime: 84
Time Cut: 5

Synopsis:

The original “Source Code” is a good film, but is let down by a shallow and a poorly executed twist ending. “Version 1.2” removes the last minute “life” theme and shifts the emphasis to Captain Colter Stevens receiving dignity and closure before embracing his fate. A handful of other small changes have also been made (see cutlist).

Intention:

I initially went in with the sole aim of ending the movie 5 minutes earlier, so as to rid it of the awful “Love Conquers Plot Holes” ending. But after trying it, it just felt too abrupt. Therefore I decided to take a new approach and alter the narrative during the phone call scene in order to use that footage and provide some finality to the closing shots. This is also meant that I had to rescore parts of these scenes in order to cover up some unwanted sound effects (no clean centre channel).

The Gist:
·        Applied minor colour balance filter
·        Removed “Love Conquers Plot Holes” Ending.
·        Rearranged scenes to create new ending narrative.
·        Shifted the emphasis from “life” to giving Stevens dignity and closure.
·        A handful of other, minor cuts

Full Cutlist:
·        Applied colour balance filter to whole film, reducing overly dominant colours and increasing brightness slightly
·        Added fanedit.org templates
·        Added Scribbling Man logo
·        Added custom title
·        Tightened first train explosion, also:
·        Removed naff CG shot of train crashing
·        Tightened second train explosion
·        Trimmed second post-explosion blackout
·        Edited all flashes to exclude any "future" memories (and in one case created a new one)
·        Trimmed Stevens getting hit by train
·        Removed memory flash completely (I.e. Train hits - Stevens Jolts awake)
·        Removed "Bing" product placement when Stevens is using the woman's phone
·        Cut “I knew he was a keeper”
·        Re-edited and rescored phonecall scene. It’s now ambiguous who Stevens calls, and whether he gets through.
·        Cut some of Goodwins more bizarre expressions when looking at Stevens body.
·        Trimmed Max’s joke so we hear as little of it as possible without it being jarring. It’s a bad joke.
·        Cut “Look” “What?” “All this life…” – somewhat poorly placed alongside Max’s sex joke.
·        Re-edited and rescored film during when everyone freezes to include Stevens phonecall to his dad as a partial voice over. Changed closing shots to the infinite kiss followed by Stevens looking peaceful.
·        Rescored end credits.

Special Thanks

·        To everyone who provided feedback and encouragement (and a particular shout out to Sinbad, who also suggested the title)
·        To my sister, for designing poster art
·        To my OTHER sister, for bringing my attention to the memory flashes
·        To ThrowgnCpr for technical assistance and advice on colour correction
·        To my brother, whose idea it was to utilise the phone call scene
·        To anyone else I’ve forgotten…

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My sister brought something else to my attention:

Each time Stevens dies there's a little visual thing made up of a variety of images of events. Some are flashbacks, but some also reference the end of the film (the end I'm cutting out). I'd never really noticed that, but it's a good point. However, I feel that it would be tricky to remove those elements, even for the sake of continuity. Guess I could take a swing at it either way.

Here's an example (end of the video):

It's very quick, but there's a flash of that monument that they both stare at in the original ending. 

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seems a lot of effort to go to imo for such a split second thing.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having a go now and it's not quite as tricky as I thought, although it does cause the flashes to be pretty darn short.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's your edit and your call, but I don't think it's necessarily a big deal if they were left in - absent the original ending, I think it could be safely assumed that they are just random memories or flashbacks flickering across Stevens' mind. But if you can trim them out and are happy with the result, go for it :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could always try to insert a different scene. I don't think it would be bad to leave it either.

Top Bottom