• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Sony Vegas - general help & questions

well.... vegas has a fairly decent rendering engine... not nearly as good as CCE of course... but it's not too bad. for an example, i used it on my Wing Commander: Countdown to Invasion (which throw was pleasantly surprised at, i might add ;) hehe)

just render the streams out separately.... use "mpg2" then pick "dvd architect ntsc widescreen video stream" (supposing it's a widescreen movie)... then click on "custom" and go to the video tab... and choose "variable bit rate", and "two pass".... and then you will need to find a bit rate calculator, and figure out what the bit rate should be. then choose your bit rate levels...

example.. (this is pretty high, and will work for shorter things)
max - 8,000,000
avg. - 7,000,000
min. - 6,000,000

the default has the minimum really low, but raise it up so the minimum is about the same distance from the average as the maximum is. hopefully with the bitrate calculator it will only take you once to get it right.

then after you've rendered out the video (which will take quite a while), go back and render out the ".ac3" audio stream.

then put them both into dvd architect. you might have to insert the video stream, and then navigate into it, and then choose the audio stream that goes with the video stream.

hope that helps. let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info lewis. I am already waist deep in TMPGEnc at the moment but I will definately give your method a go, if only just to compare/contrast.

I'm having trouble with Vegas Movie Studio again- I have videos encoded in XviD format, and the audio works fine, but the video is just black. It's an AVI file, in XviD MPEG 4 format, at 640x480x12, and the video will not show up. It recognizes the codec and I've installed the latest version, but will not show the video.

robbievaliant said:
I'm having trouble with Vegas Movie Studio again- I have videos encoded in XviD format, and the audio works fine, but the video is just black. It's an AVI file, in XviD MPEG 4 format, at 640x480x12, and the video will not show up. It recognizes the codec and I've installed the latest version, but will not show the video.

Vegas does not properly recognize the xvid format. You can do one of two things. 1) change the header from XVID to DIVX using the 4CC changer. This may result in random black frames in your video though. The other option 2) is to frameserve the video into Vegas (recommended, though tricky to set up). Check out the topic on this HERE

Heres an odd question:

I recently found an old cartoon (B.C. first thanksgiving) my family used to watch on VHS 20 years ago on youtube.

I have been looking for it for some time so I jumped at the chance and snagged it w/ Vixy.net VLV converter to make a disc for my family to enjoy.

The show was split into 3 parts on youtube and I wanted to just slap it together in Vegas and burn it to disc just to have a copy of it. sounds simple right?

well, each clip plays fine when I open the .avi's in a media player but when I import them into Vegas they are all 'missing' the last 20 seconds of audio (?)

its really wierd. so, any ideas?

thanks.

Ok, I plan on creating an extended version of Repo Man by inserting some deleted scenes into the film but ran into a snag.
the film is 1.85:1 widescreen but the deleted scenes are presented in 4:3 letterbox
whats the easiest way to make a seamless match between the 2?

Thanks.

the easiest way is to crop the 4:3 sections to be 1.85:1. to do that, you'll click the little "crop/pan" button at the end of each video clip.... actually, just do one of them, then save it as "1.85:1" or something... and then all you have to do is go to each clip and select that saved crop for each clip.... (unless in the newer versions they've added a crop/pan feature to an entire track...)

I recently installed Vegas Pro 8.0 on my PC. But at start up it freezes at "initializing UI". I have windows XP. This seems to be a relatively common problem. I tried un-instalinig and re-instaling it but without any results. Did anyone experience this and how did you resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance

I have finally started to use vegas for a some editing (most of all to finally really try it out since I am still quite bound to the old and buggy Ulead Media Studio pro 8).
First results went well, but there is a quite simple thing which I cannot figure out so easily...
audio volume control!
Now I can easily fade in and out or make cuts, but I seem to be unable to control the volume of a track inside vegas. What I want to do is reduce the volume in a few areas in a track and fade the audio a few seconds BEFORE the video clip stops.
something like that:
01an.jpg

As you can see, the audio fades before the clip is finished and has a few seconds pause.

two ways to control volume to keep in mind. overall volume can be controlled on the track name on the far left. To just fade out, you need to drag the upper corner of the file. For instance, that file that you have added, to fade out, simply hover over the upper right corner and the cursor will change to a fade symbol. click and drag as far as you want to fade. You can change the fade type by right clicking and selecting fade type. I can post screenshots in the morning.

I know both these methods already, but that's not what I am asking for...

maybe I can explain it better with a ULEAD example:
01ao.jpg

as you can see there are various video and audio streams used.
Below that you can see the audio streams. The lines in the streams mark the volume.
"finale1_old" is fading out BEFORE the image stops. This was done to have a video displayed but let another audio play and get rid of audio that was not needed.
Now how can I do that in vegas?

Insert -> Audio Envelopes -> Volume

that will give you an editable volume level/line over the entire track.

oh yes it does. Great help. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom