• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Sony Spectral Layers Pro

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys,
I just found this video on youtube and I thought I'd share it with you, because if this thing can do, what it seems to be able to do, it's a faneditor's wet dream coming true. Enjoy:

reaper18783x

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice find boon 23.
im going to order it now.
this is going to be perfect for the edit im doing now.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks very cool, I recently saw some similar pro-software (But on that the different frequencies where dispayed as colours in the spectrum) do this sort of thing on a DVD extra about restoring old film soundtracks.

A word of caution... this is a demo of him removing a loud man-made sound from a background of quiet sounds from nature (On a clip he has specially created for the demo). I suspect the process would be somewhat less easy if he had to remove that siren from a loud New York street scene or remove one particular bird call from an audio recording of my back garden ;-). But hopefully it can do all this suggests it can.

If you can load your own top layer in, like the same portion of music from the CD soundtrack that would be great too.

At £250 it's expensive though.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very interesting! This video demonstrates what I think most of us would want to be using it for... Looks challenging! :-o

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, that looks like awesome software. I hope to play around with this sometime. thanks for the heads up, boon!

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very cool tool! There's all kinds of potential for transforming mono into true multichannel mixes, etc. But it takes a lot of manual work, so short clips are a whole lot easier than processing a whole soundtrack. Maybe the software will get smarter in future versions so some of the manual stuff can get automated.

Here's a demo of a quick and dirty method of dialogue extraction. The extracted dialogue sounds crappy but the karaoke track that's left sounds good.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the potential for this tool is Ridiculous (ohai [MENTION=6348]TV's Frink[/MENTION])

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neat-o, if somebody used this to prep a voice-only and FX-only audio track for Star Wars, that would be like the rosetta stone of Star Wars fanediting.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fuck I want this. I might actually be able to finish Revenge of the Fallen before my kids go to college if it does what I want it to.

purplenurple

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been playing with SpectraLayers Pro for the last few weeks, and I have to say that this, ladies and gentlemen, is what we've all been waiting for.

After only learning the most basic functions of it and just kind of messing around with the options it offers, I'm already seeing some really impressive results on my attempts at removing the music from Star Wars: A New Hope -- which, let's face it, is the number one film from which we fan-editing types would like to erase the music. I can only imagine how good the results might be in the hands of someone with more time (and, ideally, more technical expertise) to devote to such a thing; this program is very, very good at removing music (and sound effects, and dialogue).

There is a learning curve, of course -- it's pretty trial-and-error at first, because you're sort of blindly figuring out what is and is not music/dialogue/sound effects/etc., but one quickly learns what to look for in the waveforms, and from there it's a matter of figuring out the best approach, tool-wise, for removal of a given sound -- and there are numerous options.

I should say now that this isn't a "magic wand" situation, nor is it the sort of thing where you select a setting or two and the job is done. This isn't a matter of a simple phase inversion to the audio's center channel or something; it's more akin to cleaning up a picture in Photoshop: one must zoom in and identify problems on a case-by-case basis and then fix them using a fairly wide selection of combinations of tools and settings.

I think in order to truly and successfully clean up A New Hope, it'll take weeks or even months of meticulous, granular work. That said, I really do believe that it's 100% possible now to remove the music completely if one is dedicated and serious enough about the endeavor.

The whole process is subtractive, of course -- you can't erase audio from a recording and leave the rest of it untouched -- but if one were to be properly selective about what stays and what goes, and perhaps if they're aided by inserting bits and pieces of already available "clean" audio clips, I think the results could be more or less indistinguishable from a genuine copy of the film with no score.

Simply put, SpectraLayers can remove what you don't want, but leave what you do want.

Gentlemen, start your engines.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
purplenurple said:
I really do believe that it's 100% possible now to remove the music completely (From Star Wars: A New Hope) if one is dedicated and serious enough about the endeavor.

If you did that (and gave me a copy of the AC3 files to use on one of my projects) I'd happily declare you the god of fanediting! :)

purplenurple

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For the time being anyway, it won't likely be me delivering on the potential of SpectraLayers -- my work life has sadly derailed my fan-editing plans for now. :-(

But once someone else out there with the time and patience for it jumps in and does it right, I honestly this program is the way that the fan editing community will finally get usable dialogue-only and sound-effects-only tracks for ANH.

My suspicion is that we'll see this finally happen sometime this year, assuming someone out there is already seriously attempting it. I can't wait to see what happens after that.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using it to clean up the dialogue I used from Empire. It's not perfect - you have to compromise between the number of frequencies you extract versus the quality of the audio that remains, but generally I'd say I'm seeing a 60-70% improvement in spill/noise reduction so far. Once the fixed audio is reinserted back into the mix with the replaced music and sound effects, results so far have been very encouraging.

i would be happy to share the 'clean' dialogue track with anyone interested in editing TESB in future. It's not the whole movie, but it includes most of the iconic scenes.

purplenurple

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was pretty impressed with the results I was getting, but not dazzled, until I watched a couple tutorials online and realized that by zooming in really really close on the timeline and working at that scale, one can get surprisingly surgical with it. I do agree that it isn't perfect, but I'd say it's leaps and bounds better than anything similar in terms of both user friendliness and results, and I think it's going to open a lot of doors for us in the fan edit community.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
the potential for this tool is Ridiculous (ohai TV's Frink)

I want to be excited by this, but the amount of work required combined with the amount of work my edits already take, plus the cost...*sigh*

The Fiery Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello

I am doing a Fan Edit of Batman Forever, I want to replace the music. I have tried following a post on digital digest about how to convert stereo to 5.1. I did exactly as instructed but music was still in the center. Please don't say it isn't possible because I know it is, people always do it on Youtube and ect. So how is it done, am I making a mistake. I saved the right and left channels and then inverted them to create the rear left and right channels. I then used Parametric EQ and Maximise Volume to create the center. I viewed all of them and in the rear right I got just the music, but not just the voices. I am using Goldwave.

I also tried cutting out just the vocals from a mono track in Sony Vegas and putting the music over, But that really didn't work very well because the vocals and the music are completely intertwined. I have tried searching on these forums for help but none of them worked very well and BeSweet left me with the most discusting noise I have ever heard. I don't want to write this post because I know it has been asked a million times already, but none of the threads helped me, if you could help me I would be very greatful.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you tried using this software? It might work. I'm curious why your source is in stereo, the dvd is already in surround and is very cheap on amazon. I guarantee pulling a center channel out of surround is much easier than creating a new one artificially out of stereo tracks.

Top Bottom