• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Sonic The Hedgehog: Gotta Go Fast fanedit

Urban Monitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SONIC-FANEDIT-COVER.png

I´m working on a Sonic The Hedgehog fanedit. I´m calling it "Gotta Go Fast cut" but is a working title.

My aim is to cut a lot of unecessary stuff ,specially Jim Careyims. My intention is tone down the Robotnik character and make him more evil and dangerous and insert some music and sfx from the games.

Here is an example of the end credits with a new song and sfx from the game. I will change some stuff, Im thinking in replace the ring sfx when sonic eats donuts to that sfx where he eats the bubble.

password: fanedit.org

I must say that the edit is 60% complete but any suggestion is welcome. Here´s a work in progress cutlist.

- Cut the flashback thing. The movie starts in the island with baby Sonic
- Just after baby sonic enters Earth, I added Sonic VO from the deleted scene: "She was my only friend"
- Cut Crazy Carl´s showing "Sanic" drawing in the bar because that deleted scene will be added later. Here i replaced with scenes of Carl in the woods (from a deleted scene)
- Cut the whole joke/sequence of Sonic with the "terapist".
- Add the deleted scene of Crazy Carl and Tom at the bar. It´s a good scene and gives Tom more depth.
- Cut Tom´s speech to the donut.

ROBOTNIK arrives:

- Cut a lot of Jim Careyisms. The whole talk with the general was trimmed.
- Cut Careyisms when Robotnik speaks with Tom
- Cut VO of Sonic freaking out when the egg robots scan the attic
- Add spin sfx when Sonic rolls the stairs
- Cut Robotnik line: "Note the like of surprise". Replaced with a reaction of Sonic
- Cut Robotnik scream when he sees Sonic
- Cut Amazon joke
- Cut agent Stone helping Robotnik

BAR SCENE:

- Cut Sonic punching the bald guy head. He just jumps
- Replaced the song when Sonic is in superspeed. New song is Ballroom Blitz by Sweet

- Cut Sonic mumbling when he is sleeping.
- Cut Robotnik sequence where he punches Stone
- Cut Stone and Robotnik dialogue: "Brilliant Sir. / Thanks...for Nothing"

HIGHWAY SEQUENCE:

- Replace score with orchestral versions of boss battle themes from Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles.
- Cut Sonic arguing with Tom just after the spear got stuck in the dash.
- Add spindash sfx when sonic rools on the highway
- Replace the "I have no idea" scene with the alternate shot from the trailer
- Cut Robotnik line: "Give me a big fat break!" I just let the "Come on!"
- Cut Robotnik licking the quill and getting electrocuted

- Cut Robotnik dance sequence. The scene ends when the power goes off

SAN FRANCISCO:

- Cut scene of Sonic with the dog
- Cut elevator sequence. After Tom gets the key we cut to the roof.
- Trimmed Robotnik dialogues to get rid of Careyims
- Cut line: "I was not expecting that..."

- The whole chase sequence has some added SFX from the games.

END FIGHT:

- Cut Robotnik joke: "Thats why I don´t have friends"
- Cut lines: "Say last words / Guacamole"
-  Added a lot of sfx from the games in the end fight

Cut VO of Sonic talking with the dog when the camera pans from the attic to the sky.

END CREDITS:

I added "His World" by Zebrahead in the animated sequence and a lot of sfx from the games.

SECOND END CREDITS:

The new songs are:

- Hard Times by The Jetzons. (The Song that inspired Ice Cap Zone theme in Sonic 3)
- Sonic Boom from Sonic CD
- The end credits suite from Sega Genesis Sonic The Hedgehog 1

This is a preliminary cutlist. Some things can change!

An example of a scene with new music. I replaced the song in the bar scene with Ballroom Blitz by Sweet. This was a pain in the ass to make because the movie has not a clean channel of voice and sfx. I had to level up the sfx volume in audacity to somehow hide the original song. I think that the final result is ok but I´m open to suggestions or critics

I changed the contrast a little to get rid of that "grey tint" or whatever it is. What version do you prefer?

The difference in the colors isn't very significant and a bit hard to notice, but your version is very slightly better.
Please don't take this as an insult, my eyes aren't the best so it could possibly be a me problem.
I'm very excited for this edit, and I'll check out the other clips when I get the chance.

I just did this because I was noticing differences between the blacks while I was editing on Vegas. In the monitor looks more grey, but I am almost giving up the idea, I just watched the clips in a tv and the original version is way better. Mine is very dark.
Thanks for the feedback!

I have been wanting to watch the movie as we have it, but from the trailers alone, been scared since I know Carey will go too far.

Finally my Sonic fanedit is FINISHED! :D
Now I´m uploading and soon will be submited to the Academy!

revel911 said:
I have been wanting to watch the movie as we have it, but from the trailers alone, been scared since I know Carey will go too far.

The movie is not bad and Jim doesn´t ruin it. He does his Careyisms but Robotnik is still dangerous and bad.
It´s not a perfect movie but does not ruin the characters

Finally my Sonic fanedit is FINISHED! :D
Right now I´m uploading and soon will be submited to the Academy!

I have another fanedit to be reviewed by the Academy, so maybe it will take some time to Sonic to be reviewed.

I already uploaded the SONIC one and if anyone wants to see send me a PM.

Here is another video. An example of the new added SFX from the games. The video has only the new SFX and has spoilers.

Urban Monitor said:
I have another fanedit to be reviewed by the Academy, so maybe it will take some time to Sonic to be reviewed.

Here is another video. An example of the new added SFX from the games. The video has only the new SFX and has spoilers.

Wow, that sounds and feels amazing. The official filmakers really missed a trick there. Did you use boss battle music for this scene in the finished product?

I really enjoyed the theatrical cut of this movie. It's great fun and a lot better than i expected. I like the approach you're taking and the video clips you've shown here are very promising.

Good work!

Zarius said:
Urban Monitor said:

Wow, that sounds and feels amazing. The official filmakers really missed a trick there. Did you use boss battle music for this scene in the finished product?

No, but I used orchestral covers of boss themes from Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles in the highway chase. i tried to use in this scene but It didn´t "match" so much. And this movie has not a clean central channel wich makes more difficult.

EDIT: Here, I added the finished sequence. Everytime a new robot appears I added a different boss theme. First is Sonic 1, then Sonic 2, 3, and then Knuckles.

An example of reduced Careyisms in a scene

pass: fanedit.org

Urban Monitor said:
Zarius said:
Urban Monitor said:

EDIT: Here, I added the finished sequence. Everytime a new robot appears I added a different boss theme. First is Sonic 1, then Sonic 2, 3, and then Knuckles.

Overall I love the idea of this scene.  Whilst I can appreciate it's almost impossible to completely take out the original score (and you can hear it come back in a few times), I do feel you could iron this out a little further by adjusting the sound levels of the new music which do appear too loud when compared the level of the original score.  Otherwise, awesome stuff.

I agree with LS. The sound levels seem to fluctuate to accommodate dialogue and then rise again. Are you working with the 5.1 mix?

No, I´m doing only 2.0

I will be honest, sound is the thing I am less confortable to edit.

This is this scene in my timeline. I use to lower the volume when a character speaks. I don´t know If I´m doing it right.

I will lower the volume of the new music and the gain. I hope it works.  Thanks for the suggestions

Urban Monitor said:
No, I´m doing only 2.0

I will be honest, sound is the thing I am less confortable to edit.

This is this scene in my timeline. I use to lower the volume when a character speaks. I don´t know If I´m doing it right.

I will lower the volume of the new music and the gain. I hope it works.  Thanks for the suggestions

Any score replacement is extremely difficult in 2.0. Lowering the overall music volume should help with the distraction of the the volume change, but if you are able to edit in 5.1 you'll be able to do a bit more isolation. You'd need to rebuild the FL/FR and RL/RR channels most likely, but it would sound more even in the end.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. I´m using all the channels to edit but the end track will be 2.0. 

This sequence in special has a clean channel of lines and sound effects. I deleted the original music track to replace with the new one but I kept the original track in some places. I will lower the volume of the new music and the gain in some places.

Urban Monitor said:
Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. I´m using all the channels to edit but the end track will be 2.0. 

This sequence in special has a clean channel of lines and sound effects. I deleted the original music track to replace with the new one but I kept the original track in some places. I will lower the volume of the new music and the gain in some places.

This is exactly how I edit.  I've never created a 5.1 mix for any of my edits and I've been fanediting for over 10 years now.  As I usually end up doing a lot of sound replacement work in my edits, the thought of doing that for a 5.1 mix quite honestly feels me with dread as you have to think of the front, rear and centre channels.  So, whilst I will often use the separate channels from the disc's 5.1 mix (i.e. centre channel) during the editing process, the edit itself is all done in stereo.   

You can get good results this way, so I wouldn't be discouraged at all.

Back
Top Bottom