• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Sonic SATAM: Sea3on Animated

What I don't want to see happen to Sea3on when they hand the finished pilot over to Sega

What I don't want to see happen to Sea3on when they hand the finished pilot over to Sega

Sega is weird, hiring Christian Whitehead gave fans mixed signals about how much they were actually cool with fan project stuff. If quality, primetime-ready stuff started coming out from this team, it's really hard to say if they'd hire them or shut them down.

At least with Nintendo you'd know for sure one way or the other. They shut everything down.

Sega is weird, hiring Christian Whitehead gave fans mixed signals about how much they were actually cool with fan project stuff. If quality, primetime-ready stuff started coming out from this team, it's really hard to say if they'd hire them or shut them down
Yeah, that's the thing...do they hire them, essentially commissioning the series, and the pilot just settles into being an industry workprint and doesn't get released for free on Youtube as was promised? And if so, we'd have to wait an additional number of years while other episodes are animated and finalized so there's more than one episode to drop...and chances are they'd re-do the pilot anyway with further notes handed down.

Sonic Prime is done now, so there's no competing series.

Yeah, that's the thing...do they hire them, essentially commissioning the series, and the pilot just settles into being an industry workprint and doesn't get released for free on Youtube as was promised? And if so, we'd have to wait an additional number of years while other episodes are animated and finalized so there's more than one episode to drop...and chances are they'd re-do the pilot anyway with further notes handed down.

Sonic Prime is done now, so there's no competing series.
You can't hire and officialize fan art because that puts out the idea that everyone should do it. Now in the case of buying a fanart picture? That's pretty small and no one will expect that to continue, but putting out a full episode, movie, game, etc that could become the official canon? That's way too far to ever get paid to do. I really wish they didn't do that patreon because I think that's the line you don't cross and will force Sega's hand eventually.

You can't hire and officialize fan art because that puts out the idea that everyone should do it. Now in the case of buying a fanart picture? That's pretty small and no one will expect that to continue, but putting out a full episode, movie, game, etc that could become the official canon? That's way too far to ever get paid to do. I really wish they didn't do that patreon because I think that's the line you don't cross and will force Sega's hand eventually.
If they got hired, I don't think the patreon would be necccersary any longer as Sega or Wildbrain would be footing the bill, I think they'd have the common sense to shut the patreon down once the project is completed and put on Youtube or pitched to Sega. They've given their word that Sega has been looking the other way this whole time and I think they would step in only if the patreon went beyond it's advertised intentions should the pilot fail to be approved officially.

Fans won't be paying for a whole series if it's a success, that I'm certain of.

Back
Top Bottom