• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Something for you Terminator Fans...

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is Ed Reynolds:

ED_ed.jpg

You don't know Ed, but you Terminator fans should recognize what he's holding. The .45 longslide with laser sighting. Well, Ed here was the guy who created the laser sighting part.

I interviewed him for a book I was writing about the first Terminator (which never panned out, unfortunately). Ed is a very nice man and was quite generous with his time. He had a fledgling laser products company in the early 80s and was approached by the filmmakers to create the then unavailable laser sight required by the script, which he did in record time. Ed was very kind and let me take some photos of the piece:

ED_45.jpg

This is not the actual .45 used in the film, but the exact same model. It was quite a thrill holding it.

ED_assembly.jpg

This is the entire assembly. They had to use an external power supply to power it. All that cabling ran up Arnie's sleeve, through his jacket and down his other sleeve, where he held the activating switch in his hand. He would manually turn it on and off as required. Again, quite a thrill (and honor) to be able to handle this prop. Above left of the laser sight piece you can see an example of the type of actual laser they used.

So what was Ed's payment for creating this piece of movie history? Check it out:

ED_tshirt.jpg

That's right, a couple t-shirts and a hat! Funny, huh? Of course, he also has bragging rights to creating one of the greatest movie props ever. I got the sense from Ed though, that his sense of accomplishment was a good enough reward. Really great guy, hats off to him.

Anyway, I thought it was a shame that no one would see these pics and know about Ed, the man behind the laser. I hope you enjoy them!

BTW, Ed's company has grown substantially over the years and is now known as Sure-Fire. The make a lot of cool gear, and if you want to own a really, really bad-ass flashlight, you should definitely check them out:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... /sesent/00

It's all top notch quality. The guy knows his stuff.

nice post jokersmailbag...he only got a hat and a few t-shirts,but no one knew it was going to be a hit when it was being shot thou.

That's awesome, thanks heaps for the pics.

Recently, SCC has been using a gun they claimed was "the original prop" in some promo pics and one episode. The laser on top was clearly not the original one though, so it's great to see some new pics of the real deal.

Thanks again, Joker. I know this may be a big ask, but this book that never eventuated...any more tidbits you may have collected that you could share? You'd make me a very happy chappy. :D

awesome post joker.
thats really frakkin cool!

Where's T-HOPE? I'm sure he'd be interested in getting this onto his T2-3D version 2.0 somehow.

Glad you all are enjoying it!

UA, I did amass quite alot of info about Terminator. One of the other interesting guys I spoke to was Ken Fritz, Arnies stunt double (and the guy who crashed into the police station in the station wagon). He showed me a bunch of cool pics behind the scenes of that stuff.

And I spoke with Gene Warren Jr, the guy in charge of the visual effects. Also very cool guy. His dad did the fx on alot of George Pal's stuff, WotW, and the Puppetoons. He said alot of the original props, HKs and stuff went missing over the years. People jacked them. Can you believe that? Shame.

I also have quite a detailed listing of (most) of the original locations they shot at, along with pictures of them as they are today.

Sounds like this would make a really interesting book. What happened to it? Did you give up on it or did it not get picked up for publication or is it something else entirely different?

Ziz said:
Where's T-HOPE? I'm sure he'd be interested in getting this onto his T2-3D version 2.0 somehow.
I don't know how, but I completely missed this topic. Coincidentally found it back while searching for "terminator" on the forum. Nice gun, I'm still wondering why a Terminator would need the laser sighting if it has infrared vision itself, but nice gun.

Must have been a fantastic experience!! :)

Back
Top Bottom