• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Some of Star Wars EU stories as Audio Dramas

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering if anyone had thought about taking some of the classic Star Wars Legends stories (like Shadows of the Empire, The Thrawn Trilogy, or Dark Empire) and trying to put together a team effort to turn them into audio dramas?

It seems like with all of the sound effects and music available, it would just be a case of finding some volunteers for voice work.

I'd be more than willing to do some voice acting for it, especially for the Thrawn Trilogy.

I already sound kinda like Thrawn does in Rebels, just a bit less... sociopath-y... I hope.

I could do some audio. 

IMO, the best way to do a project like this is to take charge, get a helper you trust to actually help, then post some example lines for "auditions" so you can cast the project with the voices you think fit best, checking for recording quality as well as vocal ability. Meanwhile, adapt the prose into a drama format, maybe condense the novels into something more manageable, or go off a comic book that has already been condensed. Then when you've got your cast and your script, it's up to the voice actors to provide recordings. 

Most important is taking charge, as a big project like this needs a leader/director/decision-maker.

@"Zamros" and @"addiesin" awesome to hear!

I totally agree 1000% with you addiesin and I think before anything happens, there needs to be a script.  Right now I'm interested in looking into Shadows of the Empire, so maybe purchasing that comic book is where I should start.

Very well in some places Zamros, where it should slow down.  There are places you should go a bit more upbeat to maintain concentration.

If you do get a comic to base it on, perhaps consider getting it digitally or scanning it, and using the art to make a video companion piece to the audio. It would be still frame panels, and maybe it would have speech bubbles, but you could do subtle pans and zooms (when appropriate, ie. when the panel shape doesn't fit the video aspect ratio very well) to give it an almost cinematic look. 

I've considered doing something similar with another franchise but Star Wars has enough fans you might be able to get a decent full cast.

Zamros said:
My wee first attempt at doing Thrawn. Took an excerpt from Shadow of the Empire, it's not about Thrawn.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s10eOFKtGq8v

Excuse the start, I was a bit too close the mic.

Nice man!  Sounds great!

addiesin said:
If you do get a comic to base it on, perhaps consider getting it digitally or scanning it, and using the art to make a video companion piece to the audio. It would be still frame panels, and maybe it would have speech bubbles, but you could do subtle pans and zooms (when appropriate, ie. when the panel shape doesn't fit the video aspect ratio very well) to give it an almost cinematic look. 

I've considered doing something similar with another franchise but Star Wars has enough fans you might be able to get a decent full cast.

Wow!  That is an excellent idea!  A motion comic to go alongside!  

I purchased and am in the process of reading the Shadows of the Empire comics.  I may check out the novel itself just to see where some of the difference may lie or if there is a portion I'd like to expand on more.  From what I understand, the novel contains more Leia, Lando and Chewie as well as more background about the other bounty hunters.  

As I was reading I was taking some mental notes on the script and possible changes I'd make to the dialogue.  I'm sure I'd be able to edit the dialogue bubbles in the comic to fit the new dialogue.

addiesin said:

Wow!  That is an excellent idea!  A motion comic to go alongside!  

I purchased and am in the process of reading the Shadows of the Empire comics.  I may check out the novel itself just to see where some of the difference may lie or if there is a portion I'd like to expand on more.  From what I understand, the novel contains more Leia, Lando and Chewie as well as more background about the other bounty hunters.  

As I was reading I was taking some mental notes on the script and possible changes I'd make to the dialogue.  I'm sure I'd be able to edit the dialogue bubbles in the comic to fit the new dialogue.

Canon Editor said:
Very well in some places Zamros, where it should slow down.  There are places you should go a bit more upbeat to maintain concentration.

Agreed, it'll obviously need to be more dynamic. This was more just to get the voice itself down.

So far, I have scripted an adaptation of the first of the six comic issues of Shadows of the Empire.  I will be reading the novel as well to pick up some additional pieces and add as I go.  

I'm mostly trying to make the dialogue feel a little more closer to the characters while also adding in some organic descriptions coming from the characters since there won't be a visual component.

this is a GREAT idea ! :)
I love the 'Dark Empire' audio dramas and I'd love to hear some well done fan-audio dramas of Thrawn Trilogy or Shadows of the Empire :)

I know that Planet of the Apes fans made a similar project (it served as a sequel to the never finished TV series from 80's) and the final effect was really, really cool :)

I also like the idea of motion comics. There are also many official concept arts of these events (+ many fan works) that could work ::)

PS
About Thrawn, you could always youse some lines from 'Rebels' ::)
And C-3PO - Anthony Daniels voiced him in 8 films, about 100 episodes of TCW + 14 episodes of "Droids" so there are plenty of dialogues with him. I believe you could create practically any possible line using this archive voice-acting stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom