• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

So, you want to watch anime...

It feels like this video should have a home here:

Hey all, l just bought the complete series of Hellsing Ultimate yesterday at Walmart, and like it comes with a Funimation digital copy which l have no use for, does anyone want it? My copy of Robotech the Macross Saga also comes with a Funimation digital copy as well if anyone wants that too.

Hey all, l just bought the complete series of Hellsing Ultimate yesterday at Walmart, and like it comes with a Funimation digital copy which l have no use for, does anyone want it? My copy of Robotech the Macross Saga also comes with a Funimation digital copy as well if anyone wants that too.

What a fab series of films. I'm a big fan of the original manga. If no one else wants it let me know

What a fab series of films. I'm a big fan of the original manga. If no one else wants it let me know
I'll give it till the same time tomorrow (24 hours after my initial post l mean), if no one else speaks up by then l'll let you know.

So, l spent most of my day binging most of Hellsing Ultimate, l just have two episodes left. This series is...something special. Going in, all l knew was that the series was ultraviolent, the main character was a badass vampire with guns, and that he at some point fights nazis and the kkk. I decided to finally check it out because l wanted a new anime that l hadn't already scene, and this just happened to be at walmart. I'm glad to be finally indulging in this, it's unlike any anime l've seen before. For one thing, it's very long and it feels its length, but without feeling boring, in the same way that l feel about Zodiac and The Batman. It's just so heavy and captivating. I wasn't expecting it to take itself so seriously, l kinda expected it to be a fun shounen series at its heart, that just happens to be more edgy, but it's really more than that. When it depicts a war, it feels like a war. The violence can be over the top, but also realistic and haunting when it needs to be. There are some moments when it suddenly switches to a cutesy style and goes into typical anime comedy mode, it kinda takes me out of it here, but it's whatever. There's also times when it tries to be excessively edgy to an uncomfortable degree that l'm not fond of. No anime is without its flaws of course, but l can look past it here. The whole thing feels like one long continuous movie more than anything, and l hate to stop here, but it's getting late, l'll finish it first thing tomorrow. One last thing, Seras is adorable and the best character, and deserves to be treated better.

I have finished Hellsing Ultimate, what an ending. I...think l'm going to watch through it again from the beginning.

Start with Evangelion. Then immediately follow it up with GITS: Stand Alone Complex, then Gintama. That should ease you in.

Hey, remember this thread? Bump.

I just watched a Netflix Original Anime series that made me think it would be appropriate to mention here, Blood of Zeus.
This thread was inspired by a conversation between @"addiesin", @"mnkykungfu" and myself in which Addiesin expressed some frustration at being unable to pin down what exactly they liked in an anime. With this thread I hope to provide some signposts towards some readily available anime and invite you to watch it with an open mind and honestly review it.

There are many ways to approach anime:
Director
Genre
Franchise
Studio
Aesthetic
Format (TV, OVA, Movie, Short etc)
Malthus started off by discussing a Director, then others commented and we looked at recommendations by Studio, then a Franchise, a Format, and finally I recommended a Genre. You could argue that Aesthetic came up in a few posts, but more notably in terms of things that didn't appeal to people, for example not starting off with wacky teenage comedy vibes. In brief, some of these main recommendations were:
-Director: if a film-lover is looking to follow an anime director, "everything by Satoshi Kon rocks"
-Studio: obviously Ghibli came up as a good gateway, and not just the films by Miyazaki (incidentally, Netflix now has almost all Ghibli's movies streaming in most regions, including ones that didn't originally get a Western release)
-Franchise: Ghost in the Shell has releases of varying quality, however the series Stand Alone Complex was recommended (personally I prefer the ARISE origin series of OVAs, but I know SAC fans would disagree)
-Format: TV series are great if you find something that hooks you in the first couple episodes, but film fans might be better getting the immediate payoff of a good Original Video Animation (OVA)
-Genre: anime has probably a higher percentage of really quality sci-fi than any other genre

Finally, I want to recommend something that really addresses the Aesthetic category. If people have had trouble finding a lot of anime that they really dug the stylings of, Blood of Zeus is something a bit different that might help ease in a Western viewer. Rather than some of the wilder, more outlandish styles in much anime, this is a story based in Greek mythology with artwork and character designs to match. There are no anime stereotypes here and no reliance on anime story tropes instead of actual character-building. It's far better than I expected when I first threw it on.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a story about Greek gods, so it's got all the mythical, Jungian psychology which has embedded itself across generations. It's something of a "hero's journey", and it leans pretty hard on Zeus being an old horndog and Hera being the scorned goddess. But I love how much of a tribute it is to old fantasy films like Clash of the Titans, Jason and the Argonauts, and a bit of God of War thrown in. It's an action-packed, violent series that tells a complete story arc in just a few binge-able episodes, written by some Greek brothers with a real love and affection for playing with their own mythology. I give it a strong recommend for anyone dabbling in anime but looking for something with maybe a more Westernized vibe/look.

I nabbed the Eva bluray set at Walmart today. It doesn't feature the old dub, but I'm starting to come around on the new dub. The translation of the script can be awkward as others have said before, but it works well enough. The last time I watched the series, I binged it all in a day, at 1.5x speed, while multitasking, so I don't remember anything really. I just finished disc 1, the first seven episodes, and I'm really enjoying it. It is unfortunately not free of some anime tropes that I hate, but it's good enough otherwise that I don't care.

Back
Top Bottom