• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Smudger 9's Clone Wars Movie Series: Episodes I, II, III, IV and V

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The opening clip has been completely restructured using various sources, so a cultist would be very complicated.
The opening crawl was produced in FCP, the space pan was produced in Quicktime from individual BMP images made in photoshop. The footage is then a combination of scenes from the Clone Wars Movie, Cat and Mouse (TV series episode) and Hidden Enemy (TV Series episode).
Some of the sequences, particularly those on the surface of Christophsis were taken from the opening parts of Cat and Mouse and Hidden Enemy, meaning that I had to build the whole audio from scratch.
I also added in a couple of scores - Battle of Endor from ROTJ and Battle of Christophsis (from TWC Movie).

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:
Very nice. I think a massive 9-film treatment of the Clone Wars series could be compelling.

Would definitely have to agree with Hal bout this. Really interested to see how this turns out.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
smudger9 said:
The opening clip has been completely restructured using various sources, so a cultist would be very complicated.
The opening crawl was produced in FCP, the space pan was produced in Quicktime from individual BMP images made in photoshop. The footage is then a combination of scenes from the Clone Wars Movie, Cat and Mouse (TV series episode) and Hidden Enemy (TV Series episode).
Some of the sequences, particularly those on the surface of Christophsis were taken from the opening parts of Cat and Mouse and Hidden Enemy, meaning that I had to build the whole audio from scratch.
I also added in a couple of scores - Battle of Endor from ROTJ and Battle of Christophsis (from TWC Movie).
Looks like you are putting a LOT of work into this! I'm even more excited!

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just an update on this. The first edit is almost competed, but I'm not going to make the May 4th date, hopefully by the end of May.

The reason for the delay is that I'm trying to plan out the first half of my movie series, taking me upto the transition point where the character models change.

I've actually got enough rough cut footage for five films, but I need to reduce that to 4 films. Unfortunately it looks like the Jabba's son storyline may have to go.

I've got 2 of the four films cut roughly into 2 hour movies. I just need to figure out the other 2 films.

If the Jabba's son storyline does end up being cut, I may initially release my edit of the Clone Wars movie as a stand alone project, and then move onto my 9 film trilogy.

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, an update on this project. Clearly I didn't make my May 4th deadline for completion of my first movie.

I decided in the end to eliminate the Jabba storyline so that I could squeeze all the pre-model change episodes into 4 films, leaving 5 films following the model change, the last of which will be the order 66 and Yoda arcs from the bonus content. This has involved me rewriting all my planned films and roughly cutting them together to ensure that they worked.

I was originally toying with the idea of episode 1 being pre-Ahsoka, but there simply wasn't enough quality, Ahsoka-free story lines to do this adequately and it would have involved using the Kamino storyline, but I needed that story to follow on from the Christophsis arc.

So my current plan is:

Episode 1: Army of the Republic
Cat and mouse
Hidden enemy (clone traitor story removed)
Christophsis part of the Movie
Grievous intrigue
The deserter (deserter story removed)
Clone Cadets
Rookies
ARC Troopers
[added in scene from assassin to explain Ahsoka's absence after Christophsis.

Episode 2: A New Threat
Zillo Beast (with the Zillo removed)
Death Trap
R2 Come home
Cloak of Darkness
Lair of Grievous
Malevolence Trilogy

Episode 3: A Galaxy Divided
Mandalore Trilogy
Geonosis Arc
Duchess of Mandalore and Senate Spy are intercut
Legacy of Terror and Brain Invaders are intercut

Episode 4: Rise of the Bounty Hunters
Supply Lines (Ryloth scenes only)
Ryloth Trilogy
Evil Plans (heavily edited)
Hostage Crisis (heavily edited to make it look like a distraction event)
Holocron Heist
Cargo of Doom
Children of the Force
Hunt for Ziro (Bane scenes only)

I've done a first cut of all four films and have finished a second cut of episode 1. I'm planning to do second cuts of all four episodes before moving back to complete episode 1. This is to allow me to then watch the unused clone wars episodes and pick out any cool scenes of lines that could be added in. Thus episode 1 is probably still a few months away.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just another post saying, that this project looks awesome! I really like the list you have for each episode. It will be cool to see this series with as much of the annoying/bad parts cut out, to bring out the many strengths existent throughout the show.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks like you've given careful attention to the structure of the story. I really hope you succeed in producing all nine; it'll be a superb way to watch the series!

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys, here are more detailed explanations about my intended structure. Although I've put more focus on Anakin and less on Ahsoka, I'm using Ahsoka as a chronological anchor for the audience, essentially following her progression without her being the primary character.

Episode 1: Army of the Republic
Cat and mouse
Hidden enemy (clone traitor story removed)
Christophsis part of the Movie
Grievous intrigue
The deserter (deserter story removed)
Clone Cadets
Rookies
ARC Troopers
[added in scene from assassin to explain Ahsoka's absence after Christophsis.

This movie has a big focus on the clones, which are a major focus of TCW. It shows Anakin and Obi Wan fighting together as friends in three separate battles.

Ahsoka's part in this movie is very small. She is introduced, helps Anakin destroy the shield and then returns with him to the Jedi Temple where she remains to "complete her studies".

Anakin is shown as a hero in this movie. He defeats Trench, saves the Republic on Christophsis, rescues Eeth Koth and defeats Ventress on Kamino.

The Villains are more of a threat. Trench initially repels the Republic at Christophsis, Ventress outwits the Jedi on Christophsis, Grievous defeats Eeth Koth, and the Battles of Christophsis and Kamino establish the battle droids as a credible threat.

The return to Kamino gives this episode a great link to AOTC, and I've used the AOTC soundtrack to produce a couple of musical cues, particularly for the first scene on Kamino.

Episode 2: A New Threat
Zillo Beast (with the Zillo removed)
Death Trap
R2 Come home
Cloak of Darkness
Lair of Grievous
Malevolence Trilogy
Cloak of Darkness and Lair of Grievous are intercut with The Anakin/Mace story. Everything then converges for the Malevolence Arc.

In this episode Anakin is the main focus, and there is a lot of time dedicated to the Anakin-Mace relationship with glimpses of the Chancellor's influence on Anakin.

Ahsoka is more prominent than in Episode 1, and we learn a bit about her background, particularly her relationship with Plo Koon. She is shown to be very inexperienced - getting outwitted by Gunray and not deemed competent enough to pilot her own ship. I will cut out a lot of her "attitude", especially in Cloak of Darkness.

A lot of new Jedi feature in this episode - Luminara, Fisto and Plo Koon, giving it a broader feel.

The villains again maintain their threat - Ventress defeats Luminara and rescues Gunray and Grievous defeats 2 Jedi. I've also altered the Boba arc so that Boba is more menacing, takes a more active part in the attack on Mace and shows no regrets about his actions. I've edited out the hostage part of the Boba arc, allowing R2 Come home to be the end of the story. By not including Lethal Trackdown it means that Boba isn't captured and Slave 1 isn't destroyed. The negative is that I can't include the Hondo/Aurra interaction, which I love.
Dooku also gets more screen time, but has no hands on role.

The Boba and Mace story provides the link here to AOTC.

Episode 3: A Galaxy Divided
Mandalore Trilogy
Geonosis Arc
Duchess of Mandalore and Senate Spy are intercut
Legacy of Terror and Brain Invaders are intercut

This episode focuses a lot on Anakin's emotions. He explores Obi-Wan's past relationship with Satine, struggles in his relationship with Padme due to anger and jealousy, and it shows his strong attachment to Ahsoka.
This is Ahsoka's coming-of-age episode. Upto this point she has been more of a peripheral figure, but in the second half of the movie she becomes much more of a focus and saves the day, both on Geonosis and in Brain Invaders.

There are a lot of links here to AOTC, with the references to Jango Fett and a return to Geonosis.

Episode 4: Rise of the Bounty Hunters
Supply Lines (Ryloth scenes only)
Ryloth Trilogy
Evil Plans (heavily edited)
Hostage Crisis (heavily edited to make it look like a distraction event)
Holocron Heist
Cargo of Doom
Children of the Force
Hunt for Ziro (Bane scenes only)

Less focus on Anakin in this episode, but there is reinforcement of his attachment to Ahsoka and his unwillingness to let her die.
Ahsoka's development continues, but more in a negative light, getting away from the 'Mary Sue' she was often portrayed as in TCW. She is given her first solo mission but subsequently fails spectacularly. She also gets outwitted by Bane due to her unwillingness to listen. There is more clone focus in this episode, with the Waxer/Boil scenes on Ryloth.

The villains gain a few victories here, with the first act of the movie seeing Master Di killed by battle droids and Mar Turk repelling the Republic Attack. We then have Bane successfully taking over the senate building, infiltrating the Jedi Temple and outwitting the Jedi in Cargo of doom.

There are no links here to AOTC to give the feeling of moving forward in the timeline.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just thought I'd say that season 6 is now available on ITunes, so if it doesn't come out on Bluray later this year (which I doubt), you'll be able to use it in this series of movies for sure!

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
Just thought I'd say that season 6 is now available on ITunes, so if it doesn't come out on Bluray later this year (which I doubt), you'll be able to use it in this series of movies for sure!

Thanks for that, I just need to get a US iTunes card and I'm away. However, I'm still holding out hope for a BluRay release. I'd like to keep the Aspect ratio and visual quality even throughout the episodes. It will be the end of the year before I get to episode 9, so I've time to wait.

Brief update on the project.
Episode I: Army of the Republic and Episode II: A New threat have gone through their third cuts. Episodes III and IV have both been through a first cut. My plan is to complete third cuts of all four episodes and then view all of the clone wars episodes to pick out any improvements or missing audio components. I'll then release the four episodes a month at a time.
I'm probably looking at October for the first release. The world cup has been a great help in finding me time to get this project moving at a pace. This has been the view of my desktop for the last 2 weeks!!

ScreenShot2014-01-01at211308.png
[/url][/IMG]

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds great. I like the idea of a sequential, serial-like release.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't wait to see how you merge the World Cup into this seamlessly.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I can't wait to see how you merge the World Cup into this seamlessly.

sweet, you found a way to make the clone wars even more boring!!!

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still hard at it. Time is a bit tight at the moment but I'm slowly working through episode 3. Half way through a second cut.
Once the second cut is done, I'll be doing a second cut of episode IV, and then it'll be back to episode I for completion. Hopefully I'll get a few clips out in the next few weeks to show the progress.

sub_atomic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very excited to see this. I've never been interested in watching the Clone Wars until recently, and I put on the film the other night and couldn't get into it. It felt oddly-paced. I kept thinking, this needs a fan edit and opening crawl! I came looking for something like that, and found you! I really like what you've posted so far.

I would say that my one hope in a project that is compressing a lot of story, is that you don't sacrifice good character moments for action or plot advancement. If you manage to give us intimate moments with likable characters, and breathing space to slow down between battles, the epic moments of action will feel more emotionally satisfying. My 2 cents. Thanks, and can't wait to see the first edit!

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sub_atomic said:
Very excited to see this. I've never been interested in watching the Clone Wars until recently, and I put on the film the other night and couldn't get into it. It felt oddly-paced. I kept thinking, this needs a fan edit and opening crawl! I came looking for something like that, and found you! I really like what you've posted so far.

I would say that my one hope in a project that is compressing a lot of story, is that you don't sacrifice good character moments for action or plot advancement. If you manage to give us intimate moments with likable characters, and breathing space to slow down between battles, the epic moments of action will feel more emotionally satisfying. My 2 cents. Thanks, and can't wait to see the first edit!

Thankyou. You've hit the nail on the head with your summary. Character development is the part that is most challenging because those scenes are often filled with clunky dialogue, or are located in otherwise poor episodes. For example, the nicest moments between Anakin and Ahsoka in the Clone Wars movie come on Teth and Tatooine, which I've had to cut because I hate the Jabba's son storyline.

The other issue is pacing. Because the arcs only last about an hour, I'm having to using multiple arcs which can cause big pacing issues.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
smudger9 said:
For example, the nicest moments between Anakin and Ahsoka in the Clone Wars movie come on Teth and Tatooine, which I've had to cut because I hate the Jabba's son storyline.

What about trying to replace the background? They could be in the Jedi Temple or something for example. It'd be easier to replace the background, feather edges, etc than it would be with real live footage.

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
What about trying to replace the background? They could be in the Jedi Temple or something for example. It'd be easier to replace the background, feather edges, etc than it would be with real live footage.

That's a bit beyond my skill set.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
smudger9 said:
That's a bit beyond my skill set.
I understand, but are you willing to learn? ;-) I don't know how to either (yet!), but I definitely know I'm going to both learn it, and use it.
This is an older video, but if you take the time to look at it, you'll see it's actually not that hard as it sounds (at least that's what I thought) :)

Top Bottom