• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Smudger 9's Clone Wars Movie Series: Episodes I, II, III, IV and V

Just watched Ep IV. I think this may be a good way to watch the TV series in condensed form, but the edit still felt like a handful of mostly disconnected TCW episodes mashed into one incohesive whole. You don't get the sense of a story with a beginning, a middle, and an end. Rather, you get the Mandalorian arc, the Clovis arc, and the Geonosian arc.

TV-to-Movie fanedits are hard to pull off and rarely successful, and I don't think this is the exception. Sad, because there is stuff from this series that matches the quality of the films. Could I have done it better? Probably not. I'm not sure it's even possible. I will say, however, that the Death Watch episodes are inextricably tied to the Maul episodes, so I don't know why the former is being paired with these Geonosis episodes.

GLogus said:
Just watched Ep IV. I think this may be a good way to watch the TV series in condensed form, but the edit still felt like a handful of mostly disconnected TCW episodes mashed into one incohesive whole. You don't get the sense of a story with a beginning, a middle, and an end. Rather, you get the Mandalorian arc, the Clovis arc, and the Geonosian arc.

TV-to-Movie fanedits are hard to pull off and rarely successful, and I don't think this is the exception. Sad, because there is stuff from this series that matches the quality of the films. Could I have done it better? Probably not. I'm not sure it's even possible. I will say, however, that the Death Watch episodes are inextricably tied to the Maul episodes, so I don't know why the former is being paired with these Geonosis episodes.

I would argue that this is a long form television series, not a series of movies. And that one would view the completed series as a miniseries.

But I agree, it's frustrating we can't bend the television medium so easily to a filmic one, but that comes with the nature of adaptation. The best TV-Movie adaptations tend to be ones where the episodes that became the movie formed a self contained story. E.g. Days Gone Bye (Probably my favorite TV-Movie edit so far). The story itself forms a natural arc that a movie would.

But these episodes are mere vignettes of a larger story: The Clone Wars, as was the intent of the original series. This is just a condensed version.

Zamros said:
I would argue that this is a long form television series, not a series of movies. And that one would view the completed series as a miniseries.

But I agree, it's frustrating we can't bend the television medium so easily to a filmic one, but that comes with the nature of adaptation. The best TV-Movie adaptations tend to be ones where the episodes that became the movie formed a self contained story. E.g. Days Gone Bye (Probably my favorite TV-Movie edit so far). The story itself forms a natural arc that a movie would.

But these episodes are mere vignettes of a larger story: The Clone Wars, as was the intent of the original series. This is just a condensed version.

I look at from an anime and OVA (Original Video Animation) point of view. You have an anime that tells a larger story, but then you have a series of OVA's for the anime that tell a basic condensed story, Hellsing Ultimate is one that comes to mind.

I view Smudger9's edits as OVA's of The Clone Wars TV show. You can still watch the TV show but these OVA's exist for people who want the core story

losttman1093 said:
I look at from an anime and OVA (Original Video Animation) point of view. You have an anime that tells a larger story, but then you have a series of OVA's for the anime that tell a basic condensed story, Hellsing Ultimate is one that comes to mind.

I view Smudger9's edits as OVA's of The Clone Wars TV show. You can still watch the TV show but these OVA's exist for people who want the core story

Similarly: from a comics point of view, the individual episodes are like single issues, Smudger's edits are like Trade Paperbacks.

He hasn't visited in almost 10 months.  I'm sure he'll let us know if he comes back.

To be honest the series is fantastic as it is - it was always that early part of the series that needed tightening up. It really works this way, so if smudger9 doesn't want to finish the series as movies I'd still be really glad for what we have. That said, if he returns and gives us any more I'd be very pleased.

Hey man, how you doing?

Also, did you make another account, or is @"Dr. CreeperSwag Fanedits" some other guy with an almost identical name?

DrCreeperSwagatFanedit said:
hello somebody?????

As I said last time, I'm sure he'll let us know if he's back and working on this again.

Bobson Dugnutt said:
Also, did you make another account, or is @"Dr. CreeperSwag Fanedits" some other guy with an almost identical name?

The accounts have been merged.

Project Update:

EPV is now 99.9% complete, just needs a bit of tinkering with the opening pan scene.

I have also re-done the sound for EPIV and this completed version is now being rendered. If anyone missed out on EPIV shoot me a PM.

smudger9 said:
Project Update:

EPV is now 99.9% complete, just needs a bit of tinkering with the opening pan scene.

I have also re-done the sound for EPIV and this completed version is now being rendered. If anyone missed out on EPIV shoot me a PM.

Hope to see this new episode released soon :D

Someone on the OT forums asked for a list intercutting Smudger's movies with the regular episodes, and I had one to hand and thought it might be welcome here. I've refined it now with as much info as I can glean about the current plan for the movies, from all of Smudger's previous comments on OT forums and here. It aims to give as much info as possible - original order, chronological, arcs, quality, inclusion in Smudger's movies and proposed movies, and a hybrid ordering for if you want to watch the movies alongside the episodes not included.

Image defaulting to hybrid order (the OP's request) here:
Smudger, I'd welcome your input if any of that's inaccurate!

Last edited:
^The fact that half of the "bad" episodes are in Season 1 is rather telling

EddieDean said:
Someone on the OT forums asked for a list intercutting Smudger's movies with the regular episodes, and I had one to hand and thought it might be welcome here. I've refined it now with as much info as I can glean about the current plan for the movies, from all of Smudger's previous comments on OT forums and here. It aims to give as much info as possible - original order, chronological, arcs, quality, inclusion in Smudger's movies and proposed movies, and a hybrid ordering for if you want to watch the movies alongside the episodes not included.

Image defaulting to hybrid order (the OP's request) here:
Or you can play around with the list via filters here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wUlU_myy1Jgn2S59_fvuddCGpjQw3KTmav79lr0KeyI/edit?usp=sharing

Smudger, I'd welcome your input if any of that's inaccurate!

That is pretty accurate. Only discrepancies are:
Hidden Enemy - Part
Grievous Intrigue - Part
Desserter - No
R2 Come home - Full
Lethal Trackdown - No
Hunt for Ziro - No

Senate Murders - No

Great list, and nice to see that my use of "bad" episodes has been pretty minimal!!!

Anyway, major update.

Episode IV is now available again in 1080 with the Bluray to follow shortly.

Episode V is ready on Vimeo and in 1080 and Bluray and has now been submitted for approval.

Great news, plus thanks for the feedback on my list! <3 I'll update it.

PM sent for Ep5 (on OT forums).

Thanks so much for these!

Back
Top Bottom