• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Smoothing low framerate scenes?

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there a good way of using some sort of AI or something to smooth out purposefully lower framerate scenes? For example there are a few shots in Lord of the Rings like when Frodo gets stabbed by the troll, or in Harry Potter when there is a flashback to Voldemort killing Harry's parents. In both scenes the shots double or triple up the frames to slow them down, but it also gets all jittery. I know it's a stylistic choice but I've never liked that effect. I was wondering if there is something out there to replace those inbetweens so the shots can still be slowed down but not have the stuttered effect.

I know in Premiere there is an option for frame interpolation which works really well as long as there isn't any lighting changes (like flashes of lightning or spells from a wand), and also if the camera doesn't move much. Because of those limitations it doesn't work well on most scenes.

Here's an example:
This happens several times around the ~1:40 mark

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can achieve this with DAIN-app or Flowframes. The latter has the easier interface.

Dropped framerate for slo-mo is one of my pet peeves, though I think sometimes it can work stylistically.

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks so much, this is just what I'm looking for! Also, looking at the Dain app, there seems to be a newer version called Rife. Not sure which is better though

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flowframes is a GUI for both DAIN and RIFE. The latter is generally said to be better, though it probably depends. I've had good results from both. DAIN will not work with AMD FYI.

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I downloaded Flowframes and it seems to work pretty well. I put the Harry Potter scene through it and I'd say about 3/4ths of it was usable. It still struggles with the flashes and some scene transitions but other than that it was great. Going to try it on a LOTR scene next

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dropped framerate for slo-mo is one of my pet peeves, though I think sometimes it can work stylistically.
Funny enough, I think the LotR example is one of the better uses of this technique. The resulting footage looks choppy, and it's anxiety-inducing, and helps me, the viewer, visualize Frodo's pain.

Top Bottom