• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Smallville

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic review @"Zarius" !!!

I have only watched bits and pieces so far, and have been thoroughly impressed with the little I have seen.

Finally have all 7 parts downloaded, so I will watch this week.  Very excited.

This might be inspiration enough to finally pull me out of retirement and tackle my own Smallville White Whale!  :D

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Fantastic review @"Zarius" !!!

I have only watched bits and pieces so far, and have been thoroughly impressed with the little I have seen.

Finally have all 7 parts downloaded, so I will watch this week.  Very excited.

This might be inspiration enough to finally pull me out of retirement and tackle my own Smallville White Whale!  :D

That's smart thinking Bob, hell I've already taken some pointers from this edit for another Smallville project. :)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been watching this, I'm really enjoying it. It's such a weird feeling to watch a movie for 2 and a half hours only to check the time and find that it's not even halfway over.
I've never watched Smallville, just bits and pieces from older SouperboyX edits. Knowing nothing about the plot of Smallville, I was a bit worried that I would be confused and that it would rely heavily on a prior knowledge of the series. This is so well crafted that I have thus far been able to follow the plot and get invested in the characters with no real confusion. It's never noticeable when it jumps from footage from one episode to another which is really impressive, I thought the actors would noticeably age but it hasn't been noticeable at all. My only gripe is that the distortion in the voices from the removal of music really stands out, but there's nothing that can really be done about that. One last thing to note, I don't mind all of the dream sequences, I think it works well enough. We'll see if I'll change my mind in the second half.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The full five hour edit is now available. It's about 14.8 GB. I've cleared out my disc space and am in the process of downloading it.

In my ongoing correspondence with souperboyx, he did indeed clarify a couple of things for me

1. He's went back and fixed the repeated frame from the Martha and Bridgett conversation for the full release

2. He'll be posting clips from the edit to Youtube. Due to the running time, there are so many sequences from this edit to share that can give everyone a tantalizing glimpse of the film without remotely giving away too much

3. Lana's dream sequences were meant to be her glimpsing "visions", a consequence of carrying the stone around for too long. Due to my confusion (which I conveyed to him), he admitted there may have been a better way of presenting this, I suggested he should stick to the clips that look and feel the most 'lucid'

4. His explanations for what happened with Lex at the fortress largely came down to wanting to preserve some "mystery", and give the audience some ambiguity to think about. 

5. He has no plans for a follow-up, which I feel makes the clear set-ups a lot more needless

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally finished watching this and wow, it was amazing. Everything just works together so well. I definitely recommend checking this out.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

WARNING!  MILD SPOILERS....

When I first saw this new scene, I thought it was BRILLIANT.  It made Lex smarter and darker.  He knows Clark's secret and is basically messing with him/testing him in the later scenes.

EXCEPT.... this creates a very confusing plot point later in the movie.  In the last act, for when Lex kills Lionel, he is asking who The Traveller is?  Shouldn't Lex know?  Does he think The Traveler and Clark are different beings?  Or is he so desperate for his father's love, he just wants Lionel to confess the truth to him?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Zarius said:

WARNING!  MILD SPOILERS....

When I first saw this new scene, I thought it was BRILLIANT.  It made Lex smarter and darker.  He knows Clark's secret and is basically messing with him/testing him in the later scenes.

EXCEPT.... this creates a very confusing plot point later in the movie.  In the last act, for when Lex kills Lionel, he is asking who The Traveller is?  Shouldn't Lex know?  Does he think The Traveler and Clark are different beings?  Or is he so desperate for his father's love, he just wants Lionel to confess the truth to him?

Dramatically, it would help a lot if Lex is like "I know you know, so let me know you know" and it just fuels enough desperation and frustration to drive him to murder. Maybe I should ask Souperboy via correspondence what his mindset was here?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
bionicbob said:

Dramatically, it would help a lot if Lex is like "I know you know, so let me know you know" and it just fuels enough desperation and frustration to drive him to murder. Maybe I should ask Souperboy via correspondence what his mindset was here?

Actually I posted on his Youtube Page, and he provided a really good explanation to his thought process on this scene:

My thinking was it was sort of a mix of both of your guesses. He knows about Clark’s powers and how he used them to save Lex’s life, but it’s also established that there are weird things that happen in Smallville and that even if Clark has powers, it doesn’t mean he’s The Traveler who fell to Earth during the Meteor Shower. Even in the cave with Chloe he asks her if Clark is the one that took the stone, still not 100% sure that he’s in the middle of everything. That’s also why I wanted the sword scene to still be a dream, so that the lack of a direct reckoning between Clark and Lex kept an ambiguous feeling going. And then perhaps the arrival of Faora and Namek, and the subsequent arrival of Zod (as well as glimpses of Kara in Lex’s dreams) throw his Traveler compass off a bit as well. But yes I would say Lex was 99% sure who The Traveler was by the time he was asking Lionel (after all he had an entire file on Clark in the Roosevelt Server), and was almost testing Lionel to see if his Dad would be truthful with him.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I just bought the Smallville "Pilot" in glorious HD (my first time seeing the show that way) on Amazon Video, and... alack!!! It's a made-for-reruns edit, missing three minutes of key scenes:

• In one scene Clark daydreams of using his powers to win a football game, and impressing Lana.
  • During the argument Clark and Jonathan have about keeping the truck Lex bought him Jonathan mentions how Lionel cheated farmers out of their properties. “So you’re judging Lex on what his father did?” “No, Clark. I’m not. I just want you to know where the money came from that bought that truck.”
  • Lex talks about the history of the Luthor mansion - which is supposed to be his ancestral home and was "shipped over from Scotland stone by stone".
  • Before leaving the school dance at the end, Clark gets revenge on Whitney by stacking his truck on top of three others.
  • And finally before Clark daydreams of Lana coming to his loft he tells Jonathan he’s glad that he and Martha were the ones who found him. To which Jonathan replies “we didn’t find you, Clark. You found us.”

I definitely missed these missing moments, especially Clark and Jonathan's reconciliation. I navigated over to the Hulu version, which is also incomplete, and various other digital sources list a runtime of 45 minutes, rather than the correct 48. In other words, it looks as though all publicly available versions are abridged - except, that is, the (SD) one from the Season 1 DVD set.

So... will anyone here be super enough (sorry) to create a fan restoration of the episode, patching in the missing DVD bits into the digital HD version? :blush:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
So, I just bought the Smallville "Pilot" in glorious HD (my first time seeing the show that way) on Amazon Video, and... alack!!! It's a made-for-reruns edit, missing three minutes of key scenes:

• In one scene Clark daydreams of using his powers to win a football game, and impressing Lana.
  • During the argument Clark and Jonathan have about keeping the truck Lex bought him Jonathan mentions how Lionel cheated farmers out of their properties. “So you’re judging Lex on what his father did?” “No, Clark. I’m not. I just want you to know where the money came from that bought that truck.”
  • Lex talks about the history of the Luthor mansion - which is supposed to be his ancestral home and was "shipped over from Scotland stone by stone".
  • Before leaving the school dance at the end, Clark gets revenge on Whitney by stacking his truck on top of three others.
  • And finally before Clark daydreams of Lana coming to his loft he tells Jonathan he’s glad that he and Martha were the ones who found him. To which Jonathan replies “we didn’t find you, Clark. You found us.”

I definitely missed these missing moments, especially Clark and Jonathan's reconciliation. I navigated over to the Hulu version, which is also incomplete, and various other digital sources list a runtime of 45 minutes, rather than the correct 48. In other words, it looks as though all publicly available versions are abridged - except, that is, the (SD) one from the Season 1 DVD set.

So... will anyone here be super enough (sorry) to create a fan restoration of the episode, patching in the missing DVD bits into the digital HD version? :blush:

Another strong argument for the importance of collecting Physical Media.  :D

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He finally got around to posting the Lex and Fortress scene. A highlight of the edit

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And we've reached the end of the clips. Not sure how long Souperboy's going to lie low now, but he's earned the rest.

My apologies for not promoting ALL of the clips, I got side-tracked by writing projects, plus I didn't want to 'tire' of this edit so I took a break from it

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for posting and keeping us all up to date @"Zarius"  :D

The Last Son of Krypton is a monumental editing achievement.  While it is not perfect, it's entertainment value for Superman fans can not be understated.  Well worth the watch!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Big fan of Mr Sunday Movies. To be honest Smallville's interpretation of Cyborg was still probable better that the theatrical release of Justice League.

Top Bottom