• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Smallville

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Yeah, I checked out after the S3 finale. And when I first heard that Lex and Lana not only hooked up, but actually got married, I was all... WTF?! No, thanks, I'll never watch that.

To be entirely fair, Lana was blackmailed into marrying Lex by Lionel, and it barely lasted a year.

I always thought Lana was a terrible character anyway. I adore the Brozne and Silver Age versions of the character, and love Annette O'Tool's version from Supemran III, but the development of the TV Lana I just never took to, she came off as a very toxic and wishy-washy character. Lois was way more assertive and stole every scene with Clark, definitely one of the best, if not the best, portrayal besides the one from the animated series of the 90s.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Gaith said:

Lois was way more assertive and stole every scene with Clark, definitely one of the best, if not the best, portrayal besides the one from the animated series of the 90s.

I wish I could give this 10 LIKES.  I can't agree more than Erica Durance's Lois is one of the best.  Honestly, I feel the same that she is on par with the 90's series, but I might go further and say, as far as life action is concerned, she is THE best. 

Amy Adams is doing a nice job too, but she's not given the best material to work with.  Margot and Teri are tied for me.  Noel Neill was also great for her time.  Phyllis, well she wasn't bad, just always seemed standoff-ish.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today's the day.

He's even done a "mock" blu-ray/digital download ad for it

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Souperboy just updated and said the scheduled video is not a livestream, but the final teaser with download links, so I'll have to take the video off the forums.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Yeah, I checked out after the S3 finale. And when I first heard that Lex and Lana not only hooked up, but actually got married, I was all... WTF?! No, thanks, I'll never watch that.

That's too bad, you missed out on some epic episodes.   Yes, it was a rollercoaster of quality at times (for me, season four is easily the worst, and I nearly stopped watching....but then it had the BEST cliffhanger EVER lol) but there were some solid arcs throughout, and as DC lifted embargos on different characters and aspects of the Superman mythos, the show became richer and more rewarding for fans who stuck with it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Souperboy just updated and said the scheduled video is not a livestream, but the final teaser with download links, so I'll have to take the video off the forums.

Apparently, at the moment, you can not even watch the episodes on Google Drive.  You either have to wait or download the individual segments... and Great Rao, the file sizes are massive!!!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Zarius said:

Apparently, at the moment, you can not even watch the episodes on Google Drive.  You either have to wait or download the individual segments... and Great Rao, the file sizes are massive!!!

Yeah, the appetite for the google drive links were so great that it exceeded the amount of playbacks allowed. People also are finding it difficult to download the instalments at the moment, so far the only portion of the edit you can manage to download is the seventh and final part from mediafire, which is in full HD, that part alone, however, is still 5 GB, so just imagine how much it's going to take for the full five hour+ file. 

Souper also says he's well aware of rough spots and editing mistakes in the product, and will be working on correcting them. Maybe he should have thought this a bit through and put the edit up later if that were the case, as it just means having to go to the trouble of uploading an entirely different set of links.

Nevertheless, I managed to catch the first 35 minutes of the film last night before the crashes occurred. So far it's pretty good, although I am nowhere near the more complex parts of the editing or narrative just yet.

Souperboy somehow managed to get through the whole Krypton sequences of Man of Steel as quickly as he could using a title sequence that used Jor-El's whole race for the codex as a backdrop. The choice of music for the titles is frankly a little too cheesy and ill-suited for one of those sequences I find.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I caved and, despite only viewing Part One last night, I watched the only other downloadable part this morning (part seven), which was in HD, lasted about an hour and five minutes...and...wow. There were weird parts, and a lot of open-ended plotlines, but...yeah, clear narrative, good to great editing, genuine surprises, eye-widening action, impressive integration of the footage....it's definitely a new experience for Snyder and Smallville fans. 

There is a couple of things that bugged me, this sequence in particular that I'll choose to discuss

One of the more underwhelming and confusing moments was how Lex's journey to the fortress was wrapped up, I thought he'd been sent to the Phantom Zone at the end when he placed the orb in the crystals, and it wasn't clear what kind of visions he was having...dreams, or the future, or both?  And its' revealed Kara saved him, yet she wasn't anywhere near him when he was transported. So yeah, I probably need to wait for the remaining chapters to make more sense of all this

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There was Live Watch last night of the first four parts on Twitch, but due to previous commitments, I was only able to watch the first 80 minutes...

But what I saw definitely intrigued me.  

The opening credits as mentioned by @"Zarius" was a clever solution, and while it is not a song I would have used, it felt appropriately Snyder-ish.

There is extensive audio replacement in this edit, mostly to include Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel score, but other music inclusions too.   And while I do not know what audio removal software he used, it is pretty impressive so far.   I mean, you can still tell it is audio replacement,  but at least all  the voice pitches all sound normal and the usual background warble you get does not seem readily apparent.   So while far from perfect, it is not distracting.

There is some excellent blending of mixed footage from various sources and some nice subtle FX work.  

As I said, I only watched the first 80ish minutes, and the story was only starting to unfold (I am surprised at how much of pilot episode he used) but from what I can tell, it seems he will be  using the Veritas storyline heavily to tie it all together (a great and surprising use of a key scene from Amazing Spider-Man!).  ...oh, and the introduction of Lois Lane!  Very clever!

I can not comment fully on video quality, since I was watching it on a live stream, but it seems to be a mix of SD and HD... I do not know if he attempted to upscale the Smallville footage but even in live stream, the pilot footage looked significantly lower that the rest of the material.  But if I remember correctly, I think the pilot is encoded different on the disk than the regular series...?  

It is a bit disappointing to hear from Zarius that the editor is already acknowledging editing mistakes.   Also found it odd that he was only uploading the fan edit on the day of release.  One can not help but wonder perhaps he could have spent less time on his 15 commercials promotion campaign, and more on fine tuning and preparing his release platform.  Also, yes, the file sizes are insanely large... part one alone is 8G!!!  

But I gotta admit, I liked what I watched so far and will absolutely endeavor to download and watch the whole super epic affair.   :D

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Additional note now that I've seen the entirety of the last chapter

There are a couple of surprises towards the end that do make more sense of Lex at the fortress..the orb has something to do with Brainiac...I think

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
bionicbob said:
Zarius said:
Souper also says he's well aware of rough spots and editing mistakes in the product, and will be working on correcting them. Maybe he should have thought this a bit through and put the edit up later if that were the case, as it just means having to go to the trouble of uploading an entirely different set of links.

.....or not made 1,000 teaser trailers and TV spots.  Part 2 is now back up.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's now a Twitch watchalong available from KRPresents. Last night, they covered parts 1-4, and tonight (7PM) they'll cover parts 5-7.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watching part two 

Wow...the edit takes some intriguing creative liberties, Lionel's already in prison and we're introduced to Lois and Tess Mercer as well as the Daily Planet with all new VFX sequences added!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Watching part two 

Wow...the edit takes some intriguing creative liberties, Lionel's already in prison and we're introduced to Lois and Tess Mercer as well as the Daily Planet with all new VFX sequences added!

Yes, I actually liked those parts very much.   Will have to see how well it plays out as the narrative unfolds.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm working on downloading parts 3 and 4 (the last ones that I didn't have).  I'm going to throw them in AVC Free Converter and have it combine all of the videos so it's a smaller file because wow these are HUGE files.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
I'm working on downloading parts 3 and 4 (the last ones that I didn't have).  I'm going to throw them in handbrake and have it combine all of the videos so it's a smaller file because wow these are HUGE files.

Yeah... insanely HUGE!!!!!!!!!   I think it is around 60G in total!

Still downloading from the new links....

But I did pop over the current Live Watch of parts 5- 7, some very impressive work.   The masking of Welling's face onto Cavill, while a bit uneven at times, is still impressive.

But the music replacement is INCREDIBLE!

Anyone know what program he used to remove the original music??????????

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great Krypton!!!

He's added digital glasses to Clark!!!  Even added slight reflection to the lens!  The amount of work in this mind boggling...

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently on part four, there is a weird thing going on during the Lana and Teague confrontation....the persistent use of dreams and visions in this edit can sometimes muddy the waters a bit. A shame about the Lex and Clark scene involving the sword being one of those dreams, it just reminds me that there are so many rug-pulls and 'gotcha' moments in Smallville that keep the status quo intact.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On to part five

I thought for sure when they showed the pre-titles from "Quest" that they would show Lex being attacked to explain the bandage he has later in the car with the antique expert...alas they didn't, so how he gets bandaged up is a bit of a mystery. Minor inconsistencies like that always jump out at me, I'm sure they do for @"bionicbob"  too.

I was very impressed with how Souperboy integrated so much of Zod's soldiers into the fifth season premiere with Lana, and then there's the matter of getting Clark in the suit only minutes after entering the fortress for the first time and giving us the first big combat scene from Man of Steel

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are my final thoughts 

Let’s get the obvious out the way first…WOW

Now onto the meat of the matter.

I’ve seen edits that alter narratives many a time, but the sheer amount of narrative changes he put together for this is just mesmerising. He took stuff from later episodes, deposited them at earlier points in the series, and somehow it all fits together. This is a testament to not just how diligent he is at episodic research, but also shows Smallville is full of moments that can fit just about any scenario with a few touch-ups.

I was very surprised at how quick he got Tom in the suit, moments after the fortress was formed even…but I suppose that was to be expected considering the pace of the remaining Kryptonian’s arrival. We’d had two hours plus of build-up, so by this juncture the audience have licked their lips long enough so serve up the main course!

How you structured Lois and Clark’s relationship to begin as work colleagues rather than as close friends from high school was a fine comics accurate-touch, and it allowed Lois to really peak in her element as a feisty, determined intrepid reporter digging as far as she can down the rabbit holes.

Lex’s journey was the most consistent from what we know of his tv portrayal, a few minor creative tweeks and omissions, but the themes are all there and the whole story plays out fairly straight forward, right up until the fortress invasion, that was a treat, I felt Lex and Jor-El never truly having a confrontation was a major element Smallville missed taking true advantage of.

I don’t think there’s too many things to critique, at least things he might already be aware of himself (I noticed a repeated frame in part six during the Crosby and Marth conversation), perhaps there was one too many dream sequences for my liking too, some parts of that confused me, particularly during the Lana and Teague fight, and Lex at the fortress…I know “Arctic” doesn’t give anyone a whole lot to work with, but I’m having some issue understanding what Kara rescued him from, I thought it was going to end with him being transported to the Phantom Zone until the scene with Kara.

I’ve had moments altering narratives in edits where I feel it made more sense in my head than anyone elses’, rofl. If he can explain these things, I’ll have an easier time understanding the decisions and choices.

Overall, Man of Steel provided some tender meat to a pleasantly functional skeleton, everything fused together, and those little issues noted above aside, I will state with great enthusiasm this guy has stitched together the best fan edit of 2020, and definitely one of the best Superman edits of all time. This is what Smallville was always capable of being, it has the best Superman cast, the best ‘young’ depictions of the characters, and is a great spin on the hero’s journey template.

I hope this edit inspires others, as much as it inspires me, to be more creative with their own editing projects and dare to think and do different.

Hopefully any kind of sequel won’t take up another seven years, but then, perfection cannot be rushed!

Top Bottom