• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Slow Motion issues editing with VOB files

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is just to let everyone know that I have discovered a quirk in Premiere Pro.

The program lets you edit VOB files directly (convenient), but if you adjust the speed of the footage for slo-mo effect, then the render will create a very jumpy and non-usable product. I learned this the hard way (trial and error), so thought it might save someone time in the future if you stumble across this thread looking for answers.

In order to change the speed of your footage, you will need to edit with a different file format. I had to convert my source files to mpeg2's and replace my edited footage. This solved the issue, and allowed Premiere to render the slowed down footage properly.

That's my story.

Some thoughts about this:
(I would not edit with Vob anyway, but) to adjust the speed on premiere pro there are two ways that I know:
1 - reduce the speed option of the video. But this creates kind of interlacing effect when there is a lot of motion in a small amount of time.
2- Use the Temporal filter that allows you to creates frames between the frames (vectorial option), to get a better slow mo effect and you can even animate the time to finish with a frozen picture for example. (you can turn this effet to "full frames" or "interlaced frames" for better speed on your workflow during the making of your edit.) I used this on Conan: Man of War for certain shots, and I use this a lot in my not released yet Short film "Death Tango".

Thanks TM, i don't have the Temporal filer you mention as far as I can tell - I just use the reduce speed option. Looks fine though, I don't notice any interlacing issues as far as I can tell.

Is there any reason in particular you wouldn't edit with VOB? they have behaved themselved well enough for me up until I wanted to render slow motion clips.

Well, if you are using premiere Pro CS4 I think you could work with Vob (not 100% sure it's the best way, but I think they are supported, indeed). I'm using CS3.

I have CS5. They're supported, and generally no problem. This slomo issue is the first hurdle I've come up against.

Interesting Kal-El, thanks. More complex than what I require for this edit, but I may use that in the future!

Well, it is slow-mo, so it should work.

I had far larger issues than this when i edited from vob's. My first edit i did i used vob.

Needless to say if you don't have the room to edit with those huge formats. Try converting the vob to an hq mp4

editing with vob almost always causes issues, especially if you do anything beyond a standard nip/tuck. Get a bigger hard drive :)

I don't recommend an MP4 because that's a delivery codec and not and editing one. If you have to have a compressed file convert it to DV otherwise go with a lossless codec like Lagarith.

Definitely don't convert to mp4 of any kind! That is even more glitchy and less supported than editing an mpeg2, which is functionally the same as VOB.

Read this carefully, as well as the link to "complete vs. incomplete frames". http://www.foolishpassion.org/vidding-tips/codecs.html This is critical stuff to understand.

Back
Top Bottom