• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Site Update Regarding Streaming Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@unfair I think you misunderstand what is allowed to be turned into a fanedit. If I understand it correctly, if you cannot buy the show, you cannot edit the show. For instance, Obi Wan is only streaming, thus you cannot edit this show because you cannot buy this show.
#staff
Streaming shows are allowed as a streaming source IF and ONLY IF the show is never released on physical media and the show has been released on streaming outlets for at least 365 days. A faneditor and viewer would be required to have a current subscription to the streaming outlet to edit/watch the edit.

Seeing that Obi-Wan will most likely follow the steaming only model, it would be allowed when meeting the above criteria.

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just curious, guessing if a fanedit uses footage from an unofficial Blu-Ray release for a streaming exclusive (like Ms Marvel), it would not be allowed on here?

And probably a dumb question, but clips for a streaming exclusive have to be directly taken from the source even if it's for a fanedit of a film out on physical media officially?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just curious, guessing if a fanedit uses footage from an unofficial Blu-Ray release for a streaming exclusive (like Ms Marvel), it would not be allowed on here?

And probably a dumb question, but clips for a streaming exclusive have to be directly taken from the source even if it's for a fanedit of a film out on physical media officially?
Unofficial as in bootleg? No. Unofficial as in fanediting another fanedit? Has happened before.

I'm not sure I get the second question. If you did a prequel edit and wanted a scene from Kenobi, and Kenobi isn't on blu ray or itunes, then you'd have to screen cap Kenobi to use it. If Kenobi ended up on iTunes or disc, you'd be expected to use that source instead. Does that answer the question?

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure I get the second question. If you did a prequel edit and wanted a scene from Kenobi, and Kenobi isn't on blu ray or itunes, then you'd have to screen cap Kenobi to use it. If Kenobi ended up on iTunes or disc, you'd be expected to use that source instead. Does that answer the question?
Yes, it answers it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
#staff
That would be pirated content and violate the OTS.

Not a dumb question. If I'm understanding the question correctly, the physical source would need to be used.

Basically this, if it's available on physical or digital purchase, that needs to be the source. If an alternate version of the film is available only on streaming, the physical or digital purchase option would need to be purchased in order to use that source. Please PM staff with particular questions regarding these situations.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well then, cool. My options and ideas have increased

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, it answers it.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude or short, I just thought Kenobi made a good practical example.

I feel like I've been hearing about people waiting for some source material like that for years to finally craft their own uniquely-sourced prequel trilogy (maybe foregoing the original prequels entirely with the combo of Solo and Rogue One as episodes themselves), and some people want to condense the sequel trilogy down to just one or two movies, and they have Mandalorian and Boba Fett source material to fill the number gaps there too. It'll be interesting times (again) for Star Wars fan edits soon, I predict.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
#staff
We appreciate the honest inquiries in this thread. We'd like to remind everyone that any questions regarding the OTS should be directed to staff via PM. This thread has been given space to stretch that guideline due to the newness of this change and being able to answer shared questions as a result. We do appreciate everyone trying to help eachother understand the new announcement. That helpful quality is something that makes this place great. We would ask in this instance that replies to questions be left for staff as to avoid any potential confusion in interpreting the new OTS rule. In a short while we'll resume the standard of PMing staff with OTS questions.

Thank you for your collective support of one another and your help in streamlining the clarification through this process.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We would ask in this instance that replies to questions be left for staff as to avoid any potential confusion in interpreting the new OTS rule. In a short while we'll resume the standard of PMing staff with OTS questions.
Word. Sorry, old habit.

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In regards to cards and identities stolen. I'd recommend doing due diligence in making sure any company that one purchases a good or service from is legit. There are also payment companies like PayPal that you can use as a shield to not give out your card info. Ultimately if someone is concerned with being linked to a streaming edit, they simply shouldnt do it.

Again, the rule says nothing about buying a tool. It says that you can't torrent. I just simply pointed out, not speaking as staff, that there are no free options for producing the highest quality sources. Screen captures are most often pretty trashy looking and would struggle to meet IFDB standards of quality, imo. So, those janky pirate programs that you refer to are most likely going to be necessary to obtain the source at the highest quality possible.

Using a decryption tool is implied if you aren't allowed to download from pirates (not sure if you're making a distinction between torrent and non-torrent downloads, but the admins would have no way of distinguishing what method was used since the files would be identical).

There are two types of tools, decryption tools that work on the files - which you're talking about, which are only available for certain services, such as the old iTunes version one you said you use. These are safe-ish if the program isn't trojaned and you protect your payment methods as you said. Any screen capture tools would be the same as this, plus the quality issues that basically make them a nonstarter.

The other type of tools, used for downloads from Amazon, Netflix, etc actually logs into your account itself and decrypts the stream, you give the tool your account credentials to facilitate the download. This is the type I was talking about in regards to stolen accounts and identities.

There's a free way to do Amazon file decryption supposedly, but I'm more technically adept than 99% of people and I spent the better part of a day trying to figure out the proper key inputs without success. I just wanted to save a TV show I had purchased to my library as normal mp4s.

So it's a catch-22 if downloads are forbidden - the safe tools are too difficult for most people to figure out, the buyable local decryption tools are sketchy, and the streaming decryption you'll need for most content is downright dangerous and shouldn't even be considered. And none of it actually benefits the content creators, which was the whole point of the physical media rule about obtaining sources yourself. It just prevents people from making edits and possibly endangers them if they aren't security conscious, which most people aren't (or don't know enough about the dangers to protect themselves).

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@unfair again, the choice to use streaming content is the editors' choice. Just as if I want to use physical media, I need to buy a disc drive and use ripping software, a streaming source has processes that are required to obtain it as well. That's up to the editor as long as they follow the guidelines of the rule.

The rule is clear and says nothing about tools/software.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you everyone.

Please review the new OTS rule from the original post.

If you have a question about the rule, please PM staff. We will make a common question update to the original post if we notice common questions being asked. Thank you again everyone for your willingness to follow the new updated guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom