• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Site Update Regarding Streaming Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Over the last several months the staff of FE.org has been discussing the changing landscape of film and television distribution. As more of these move to streaming-only subscription services, we’ve had to find a balance we’ve always strived for. We want to ensure those producing the works we love have time to profit from their work prior. This is the reason for our hold on new releases.

But the writing is on the wall. We have to change with the times and have come up with what we believe is a fair approach to allowing fanedits from subscription services. Beginning today we will allow fanedits of exclusive content from streaming services. This means you are allowed to capture a show/movie that is exclusive to a streaming platform. You cannot use a torrent, and if the title is available for purchase either physically or digitally you must use that as your source.

Example: Star Wars: The Force Awakens is released on Blu-ray/DVD and is available for purchase through iTunes and Amazon. It’s also available to stream on Disney+. If you want to do an edit of Star Wars: The Force Awakens you must purchase the Blu-ray/DVD or purchase a digital copy from iTunes or Amazon. You cannot capture it from Disney+ and use that.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is released on Disney+. There is no way to purchase it either on Blu-ray/DVD or as a digital copy. If you have a subscription to Disney+ you are allowed to capture your own copy (no torrenting) to edit.

The release window for fanedits of titles exclusive to streaming platforms is different than physical/digital purchase releases. Fanedits of physical/digital purchased films and shows will remain at 15 days before they can be submitted to IFDB. Fanedits of titles released exclusively to streaming platforms will have to wait 365 days before being submitted to IFDB. While this is a long wait, it’s to protect FE.org and the community but also to ensure those involved in the production have time to recoup their investment. It also allows time for a physical release to become available should the streaming service wish to do so. If at any point a physical release or digital download is made available, the editor and anyone viewing the associated fanedit will need to purchase said content.

Because this is uncharted territory, this will be a trial run of sorts. If at any point we feel that allowing this new option is threatening the safety of the site or the fanedit community at large, we may end or restrict streaming media as an option. We may also choose to restrict specific titles or services.

If you have questions or need clarification please ask in this thread.

(read full article...)

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
https://disneytermsofuse.com/app/uploads/2022/03/Disney-US-English-Terms-of-Use-060920a22.pdf

"we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-transferable license to access and use in the United States such software, content, virtual item or other material for your personal, noncommercial use only, only for as long as that Disney Product is made available to you by us, or an authorized third party, and only in accordance with this Agreement and/or the specific terms that apply to that Disney Product, with no right to reproduce, distribute, communicate to the public, make available to the public, or transform any Disney Product, in any media format or channel now known or hereafter devised"

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fairly certain that there's similar wording in the terms of use for all physical media, so I'm not sure of your point. FE exists on the hope that movie and television studios will allow our little hobby, based on an interpretation of Fair Use. Should the end of physical media usher in the end of fanediting? Or should we attempt to ease in to the modern world of media distribution?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fairly certain that there's similar wording in the terms of use for all physical media, so I'm not sure of your point. FE exists on the hope that movie and television studios will allow our little hobby, based on an interpretation of Fair Use. Should the end of physical media usher in the end of fanediting? Or should we attempt to ease in to the modern world of media distribution?
Oh God he has gained sentience :eek:

Jokes aside, this seems like the perfect balance for the changing landscape of the entertainment industry, and the right decision for the fanediting community. Thank you FE staff.

angrybirds123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
But the writing is on the wall. We have to change with the times and have come up with what we believe is a fair approach to allowing fanedits from subscription services. Beginning today we will allow fanedits of exclusive content from streaming services. This means you are allowed to capture a show/movie that is exclusive to a streaming platform. You cannot use a torrent, and if the title is available for purchase either physically or digitally you must use that as your source.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is released on Disney+. There is no way to purchase it either on Blu-ray/DVD or as a digital copy. If you have a subscription to Disney+ you are allowed to capture your own copy (no torrenting) to edit.
What's a torrent?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Come on, please?
Google It Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well this is great news! So this means I can carry out and share clips of my edits for Thor Love and Thunder in my topic on here?
Fantastic!
Great move guys!

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well this is great news! So this means I can carry out and share clips of my edits for Thor Love and Thunder in my topic on here?
Fantastic!
Great move guys!
... Yes. As soon as you buy the physical disc. Read the announcement again.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
... Yes. As soon as you buy the physical disc. Read the announcement again.
I did read it. The movie comes out on 3rd October, its currently exclusive to Disney plus. What have I misunderstood?

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did read it. The movie comes out on 3rd October, its currently exclusive to Disney plus. What have I misunderstood?

If it's exclusive to Disney plus then there is still a 365 day waiting period before you can share an edit. In that time it will probably surface on physical media, as has been the case so far with most MCU movies. And if there is a physical release available, a streaming source is not permitted.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it's exclusive to Disney plus then there is still a 365 day waiting period before you can share an edit. In that time it will probably surface on physical media, as has been the case so far with most MCU movies. And if there is a physical release available, a streaming source is not permitted.
The announcement says 365 days before submitting to IFDB so I understood that to mean we can still work on them and share progress? Okay if that's not the case, then we aren't allowed to download them or work on them at all until after the period?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The announcement says 365 days before submitting to IFDB so I understood that to mean we can still work on them and share progress? Okay if that's not the case, then we aren't allowed to download them or work on them at all until after the period?
#staff
Thor will most definitely be released on physical media. We only would allowed an ITW thread for that movie when the purchaseable version is released and only would allow edits to be submitted 15 days after the physical release.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thor will most definitely be released on physical media. We only would allowed an ITW thread for that movie when the purchaseable version is released and only would allow edits to be submitted 15 days after the physical release.
so considering ' She Hulk' , this is on streaming only, so a user is not allowed to post in the works *progress*, only ideas, but no clips or actual edit work?

WompRat-421

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedits of titles released exclusively to streaming platforms will have to wait 365 days before being submitted to IFDB.

So for example a Witcher season 2 edit would have to wait till December 2022 to be submitted to IFDB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom