• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Simplest Way To Make A DVD?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got an .m2v file and an .ac3 file all ready to go for a workprint. I've played around with DVD Architect a little but for the workprint all I want to do is make the files that can be burned to a test DVD...no need for menus or anything fancy.

Do I still need to use Architect, or is there a simpler way?

EDIT: On a whim I used tsmuxer to join the audio and video, and to my surprise I got a file that played in VLC just fine despite it being a .ts file. Is there an easy way to burn a .ts file to disc?

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ts wont play on a DVD player, you could you Muxman

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
still, its pretty easy to make a movie only DVD with architect. just delete the default menu from your table of contents, so that it is blank. Then drag the m2v file into the table of contents. If the AC3 is named the same thing, it will automatically add it. if not, you just need to add the AC3 to the video track. Then click on "Make DVD" and you're done

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I've got an .m2v file and an .ac3 file all ready to go for a workprint. I've played around with DVD Architect a little but for the workprint all I want to do is make the files that can be burned to a test DVD...no need for menus or anything fancy.

Do I still need to use Architect, or is there a simpler way?

You can use Throw's suggestion or you can do it easily with DVDLabPro also. Your choice! ;-)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I tried Throw's method...there are some differences in how to do it, which I'm guessing is because I'm using Architect Studio instead of Architect Pro. But here's the big problem - as far as I can tell, Studio does not support .m2v. :-(

I had already started work on some menus for the final DVD, so I'd prefer to still use architect, but I'm not spending over $500 for Vegas Pro just to get Architect Pro. I suppose my choices are to use one of the supported file types in Studio:

Video: .avi, .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg, .qt, .wmv
or try a different program. *sigh*

Advice?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hmmm, wel m2v is just the demuxed video stream, and it seems that Studio doesnt like the addition of elementary streams. You can mux your m2v and ac3 files into an mpg container and try adding that. this can be done with TMPGEnc, but not sure if you have that, as it isnt freeware.

here is a freeware option, but i have not tried it: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImagoMPEG-Muxer

another way to get them into mpg, would be to add both video and audio files to Womble, and export as an mpg. Since you didn't do anything other than add them to the timeline, womble will just use the smart-rendering engine to copy the streams into an mpg file.

once you get the streams into an mpg container, I am guessing that Studio will accept the file without issue.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have tried Imago and have found it to be a reliable muxer. I'd recommend it over Womble -- either smart rendering from the timeline or using the multiplexer that is part of its tool set.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks for the note Captain. Good to know that Imago is a reliable tool :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MuxMan gave me vob files that I was able to successfully burn - thanks AvP :)

When I get to authoring the full DVD I'll come back and try the other suggestions, thanks guys.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
When I get to authoring the full DVD I'll come back and try the other suggestions, thanks guys.
Bumping just to note that Imago worked just fine and I was able to bring the mpg into Architect :)

Top Bottom