• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

simple cutting and audio crossfading

MAVERICK

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First off, hi all & thanks for having me. ULTRA newb here.
I know at least one of you knows me from the Superman Cinema board. Hi ADM! Loved Superman Redeemed btw!

Anyway, onto business.

I need advice & tutoring on Vegas 7.0.
Im using DVD Shrink to rip.
My Vegas is full Version.

First off, without sounding rude, What I dont want advice on is:

Upragding my monitor.
Upgrading my soundcard.
Upgrading my operating system.
Upgrading my speaker system.
Getting a different program than Vegas.
Getting a different program than Shrink.

I know alot of tech heads like to lead off with this advice lol.
I wont be doing any of those things. At All. Sorry.

All I really want is answers to my questions about Vegas, in a language I can understand.
Ive never done this before, so feel free to talk to me as if Im 3 yearrs old. Keep it simple, Im quite the newb.
However, if it makes a difference, Im pretty skilled at the old Cool Edit Pro. Im not bad at audio manipulation & effects.
Ive just never done video editing.

Vegas is a big damn program, with lots of features I will never need or touch. I only want to know how to use the features I will need for making fan cuts. So, thats why I didnt just use the help guide in Vegas. Its just too huge. I really only wanna do a few simple things.

What Id like to do, is ask questions as I go, using this thread.

So, here goes:

Im ripping the movie, peices at a time, using Shrink.
I know how to load it into Vegas.
The first thing I wanna do is simply cut a part out, & have the audio splice crossfaded, so that it isnt jarring. Is there an auto crossfader? & If I dont like the result, how do I manually tinker the audio crossfading myself?

I was told not to use the trimmer, as its supposedly easier to just do it in the timeline itself.

Also

Screencaps are always welcome, btw.

Thanks again for having me.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let's see if we got anyone working with this configuration. Perhaps you should get a new speaker system ;-)

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm not using Vegas 7, i'm using Vegas 5... but as far as i know most of the basic functions are the same.

in order to crossfade anything... audio or video, you merely overlap them on the timeline. for the video side there is an entire transitions menu in which you can insert types of transitions other than crossfading if you want. for the audio... you can right-click on the crossfade area and it will give you some options for changing the characteristics of the crossfade. oftentimes the best way to tweak the crossfade is to tweak how long the crossfade is, and specifically where each side begins and stops crossfading. if that fails you may have to resort to using clips from the soundtrack to smooth things out... which you would do by inserting them on another track in the timeline and fading that clip in and out.

i hope that helps. any more questions... let me know.

MAVERICK

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lewis, Say I have a scene & I wanna cut a part out of the middle of it.
I need to keep part of the audio of the cut part to play during the the video of what was kept. In other words, how to loose video only. Or The other way around.
How do I do that?

Also, before I go any further, what steps do I need to take now to ensure that my project comes out Anamorphic & 5.1?

Also, I assume that when Im working on a 5.1 project, that all 5 channels are being distilled & played in my 2 speaker computer speaker? system

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, first of all i've never done a 5.1 project... nor an anamorphic project.... so i have no idea.... sorry.

but for the first question..... i assume you took a video file and just put it in the timeline and it gave you both a video track and the accompanying audio track. when you do that, they are grouped together, so that what you do to one will be done to the other as well... which IS useful feature, but when you want to do something independently you have to disable it for those clips. what you have to do is right click on either one of the tracks (audio or video) and go to the "groups" item in the list, and in that sublist choose "remove from" to remove that particular clip from the group. now that the clip is not on it's own you can edit it independently. to remove something in the middle of a clip, set your cursor somewhere in the region that you want to cut... and go to either "file>split" or "edit>split"... (i'm sorry i can't remember which right now, but i'm at work and not at home). so once you split the clip you have 2 video clips to work with now. adjust the ending of the first clip (by dragging the end of it) back to the point where you want it to stop. and then adjust the beginning of the 2nd clip similarly. (you can also select regions and cut them, but you will likely have to adjust the ends anyway, so i find this method easier). i'm not sure how you intend to keep the audio and not the video... but that part is up to you now.

let me know if this helps.

MAVERICK

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, once Ive ungrouped a clip to delete a selection of video only, how do I Re-group the audio & video back together, so that when I move them in the timeline, they stay sync'd?

MAVERICK

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, I figured out the grouping thing using the synchronize feature.

Now, I wanna burn a test dvd of a section of a film I just edited.

I want it to be anamorphic, & 5.1.

What steps must I take when rendering?

What do I render as, & then how do I burn?

Zinn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used VEGAS extensively and here's what worked best for me...

Use a FRAMESERVER (ok, just in case you don't know...is when you create a little file that represents a larger file a la giant AVIs, and fool your program into thinking it's working with the original. When you output, it will use the original -- read up on it, there's lots of tutorials out there), which will make VEGAS, which I had found to be a system hog, respond a bit more quickly.

Don't bother ripping your footage into pieces, just use one big sequence and cut from there.

You can set the output to be anything you like, ie anamorphic.

You can output in 5.1ac3, but to REALLY do it right, you need a 5.1 system on your PC so you can hear what you're doing.

i would suggest leaving the audio as a WAV or whatever, then treating the audio process as a seperate project, 'cause you'll want to spend some time mixing the 5 tracks. When you've done your 5.1 mix, then marry it back to the video when doing the DVD burn...

just my $.02

corgicar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Weirdness -

Couldn't get the King Kong files into Vegas but the Revenge of the Sith files go right in. Very strange.

But, thanks for the info. I'll definitely take it into consideration.

I want to use Vegas on my Sith edit because I will definitely need to see the sound waves signatures in order to edit properly and I like to have that and the pictures on the screen at the same time.

Top Bottom