• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Silk Spectre (Watchmen fanedit) by Mark Moore

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Use Vimeo, password protect it, share the password when you post the trailer.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know how others feel about it but I like Watchmen best when I look at it as the relationship struggles between Silk Spectre and Dr Manhattan. Someone should make a TV series from this: "How I Met Your Omnipresent Super Powered Dad" :p

I mean Rorschach is cool, definitely the most badass lines and scenes in the film, but Nite Owl's kind of a dork. Dr Manhattan's character really fascinates me though. This kind of material can spur an endless debate. Would you like to be an omniscient superpowered eternal being that will live through the end of times, watch civilisation after civilisation crumble and rise again until there's nothing left? All you have to do is give up your humanity and you'll live forever.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Would you like to be an omniscient superpowered eternal being that will live through the end of times, watch civilisation after civilisation crumble and rise again until there's nothing left? All you have to do is give up your humanity and you'll live forever.

I'm in.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Would you like to be an omniscient superpowered eternal being that will live through the end of times, watch civilisation after civilisation crumble and rise again until there's nothing left? All you have to do is give up your humanity and you'll live forever.

Just an FYI: Dr. Manhattan specifically said "I am not omniscient."

Anyway, I wouldn't want to do it. Eventually, the sun would go nova, and the solar system would go dark and cold. Even if I relocated to another solar system, it'd be only a matter of time before the universe succumbed to entropy. Then what would I do? Re-experience my entire life over and over again for eternity?

And it's only a being like Dr. Manhattan that can do even that. That's why any series or film dealing with immortals (whether "Highlander" or even "Twilight") will end up at a depressing ending for its characters: an eternity of nothing.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
Just an FYI: Dr. Manhattan specifically said "I am not omniscient."

With powers like his, I'm pretty sure he is. Perhaps he simply chooses not to divulge everything because they wouldn't comprehend.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
With powers like his, I'm pretty sure he is. Perhaps he simply chooses not to divulge everything because they wouldn't comprehend.

He can learn a great deal, sure, but nothing about his powers gives him omniscience. In particular, while he's not fixed in space (nor, by implication, time) he still has a personal sequence in which he experiences events, and I think that it's made clear that even when he's aware of where he'll be or what he might do at a given point in what is, to other protagonists, the future, he doesn't have the context requires to fully understand those events. (F.e. I think this happens with the scenes where he and Laurie are on the moon - he has some idea that's going to happen, but doesn't understand why or how until it happens).

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy said:
He can learn a great deal, sure, but nothing about his powers gives him omniscience. In particular, while he's not fixed in space (nor, by implication, time) he still has a personal sequence in which he experiences events, and I think that it's made clear that even when he's aware of where he'll be or what he might do at a given point in what is, to other protagonists, the future, he doesn't have the context requires to fully understand those events. (F.e. I think this happens with the scenes where he and Laurie are on the moon - he has some idea that's going to happen, but doesn't understand why or how until it happens).

But even if he doesn't understand why or how events will unfold, there is definitely some sort of precognition, because he does understand a certain key event will take place. For example, he could probably have known The Comedian was going to die soon, he simply couldn't see how or by whose hands, wich explains why he went along in uncovering it was Ozymandias.

I can't recall which scene, I really have to watch it again..., but I also seem to recall him knowing information about other heroes as it happens. So that does imply at least a small level of omniscience.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finished everything last night. Gonna start uploading the RAR archive tonight after work.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy is handling the description on the back cover, since I couldn't think of anything.

DLC has been sent. I'll fill out the submission form tomorrow.

PM me if interested.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i dont think omniscience is something you can have a small level of.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
That One Guy is handling the description on the back cover, since I couldn't think of anything.

DLC has been sent. I'll fill out the submission form tomorrow.

PM me if interested.

I think I should have the artwork finished this evening sometime (possibly tomorrow morning), I'll post it up along with the description when it's ready.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, pending Mark's approval I think cover art is done. I haven't done disc or banner art yet, will try and get those done tomorrow. (I haven't made banner art before so it may take me a while to come up with a version that looks good.)

(Edit: Nope, somehow it takes me uploading the images to Flickr & previewing them to realise that in 3 of the 4 covers I've not quite aligned one element and there's a sliver of yellow showing through from the background. I'll fix it in the morning and replace the embedded files.)

Here are some resized previews, with links to the full-size versions on Flickr:

15006902833_deb84fa365_o.png

Full size

15441475850_bce8d7ba56_o.png

Full size

15440943648_8e265e64d7_o.png

Full size

15006308234_68bf12cc3c_o.png

Full size

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pretty good.

Can you adjust the title on the spines, so the "S" doesn't mate with the yellow block?

Should I wait until the cover art is done before filling out the submission form?

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
while your fixing the spine, I recommend making the text so it's not upside down. Spines read top to bottom.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
Pretty good.

Can you adjust the title on the spines, so the "S" doesn't mate with the yellow block?

Should I wait until the cover art is done before filling out the submission form?

Sure. It's a curious option available in the Watchmen font I'm using, but only really works if the yellow block goes all the way to the top & bottom.

RollWave said:
while your fixing the spine, I recommend making the text so it's not upside down. Spines read top to bottom.

D'oh! I'm going to put that down to me not paying attention and being influenced by the front cover design. (In Spain the convention is reversed, which means that what books and DVDs I have in their original Spanish release always look the wrong way round on my shelves...)

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right, cover art images have been updated and uploaded; the versions in the previous post above are now the corrected ones. I'll look at disc & banner art next.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just noticed this detail: the quote's slightly wrong. It's "I don't know anybody else. I don't know anybody except for goddamn superheroes."

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, the edit's up, even though I haven't submitted the listing yet. Just letting everyone know.

Top Bottom